Author Topic: Joystick 1/72 Halberstadt CL.IV  (Read 29063 times)

WarrenD

Re: Joystick 1/72 Halberstadt CL.IV
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »
OK, I'll bite: what's a Tyvek envelope?

Warren

Offline Danh4

« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2015, 09:21:47 PM »
OK, I'll bite: what's a Tyvek envelope?

Warren

Tyvek is a paper-like material that was originally used as vapor barrier in new home construction.  The stuff is impossible to tear so it is now used for things like envelopes too.  The USPS uses it for one of their Priority Mail large envelopes so you should be able to pick one up at any post office if you're here in the States. 

The envelopes I have are 2-ply so I peel them apart and easily scrape off the loose filaments between the layers and end up with a material that seems half-paper, half plastic, is extremely flexible yet tough, and takes paint and CA glue well. 

-Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2015, 09:28:37 PM »
You are making excellent progress Dan, the painting looks very good. Interesting thought about the Tyvek envelopes, I will have to check my local PO to see if they have such a thing here in Australia.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2015, 12:42:20 AM »
OK, thanks Dan. Just wasn't sure what Tyvek was.

Warren

Offline Danh4

« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2015, 11:49:43 AM »
You are making excellent progress Dan, the painting looks very good. Interesting thought about the Tyvek envelopes, I will have to check my local PO to see if they have such a thing here in Australia.

Des.
Thanks Des, so far it is coming along OK.  I hope you can find the Tyvek stuff, if not, I'll happily send you some, I've got tons of it.

-Dan

Offline Danh4

« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2015, 12:09:32 PM »
I've taken some tentative steps with the Aviattic lozenge decals to get a feel for them, so far I've covered the bottom of the bottom of the horizontal stab and elevators, the wheels and the bottom of one lower wing.

I'm impressed with the decals, they are very thin but tough and flexible.  They are also very translucent and the underlying color will definitely alter the final effect.  I used white this time and will have to do some experimenting with different colors at some point for future reference.  I've had no trouble working with them, they require only a short soak in room temperature water, they don't try to fold up on themselves, they are easy to move around if a little water is brushed under them, but adhere fairly quickly when the water is pushed out.  I've found it easy to get them to mold around curved edges when softened with a little Micro Sol, the adhesive is just aggressive enough to grab when a little finger pressure is applied.  If they all go on like these I'll be pleased!

-Dan

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2015, 09:56:13 PM »
This is mind-boggling work in the teeny scale, Dan.
My hat is off to you for the excellence you have shown.
Looking forward to the next installment!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Danh4

« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2015, 10:24:54 AM »
Just one pic to celebrate the fact that the last rib tape has been applied!

I've been plugging away with the lozenge decals all week.  I'm very impressed with Aviattic's products, they performed perfectly and were a joy to work with.

-Dan

Online RAGIII

« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »
Outstanding! Everything is looking great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2015, 11:58:46 AM »
Beautiful! A lot of work but well worth it.

Ian

Offline radio

« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2015, 08:05:40 PM »
Very great work Dan.
Martin

Offline Danh4

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2015, 10:38:52 AM »
Thanks guys!  I had some renewed enthusiasm for this today and got a lot done on it.  First thing was to make and print the decals for all the markings and get them applied, then I gave it a coat of flat clear and started putting things together.  The landing gear, lower wings and horizontal tail surfaces are now permanently attached.  I'm waiting for some paint on the tires to dry before adding them, then I'll work on getting the engine and gun installed before adding the upper wing.  Its starting to come together!

-Dan

Online RAGIII

« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2015, 11:13:37 AM »
Beautiful update! With your progress this one is really looking GORGEOUS! Your fuselage camo and the markings are set off beautifully by the lozenge wings! Makes me want to do one of these!!
RAGIII
PS In a LArger scale  8)
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2015, 06:35:03 PM »
I always have had a soft spot for vac's and the building skills required to get them to this standard.I would love to see a new 1/48 manufacturer of vac's,what with today's technology and the after market goodies available,they could give the injectors a real run for their  money.

Bravo Dan!

Offline radio

« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2015, 05:09:12 AM »
Looks very good.
Martin