Author Topic: Joystick 1/72 Halberstadt CL.IV  (Read 28439 times)

Offline Danh4

Joystick 1/72 Halberstadt CL.IV
« on: April 25, 2015, 10:39:51 AM »

I hope you all don't mind another build thread so hot on the heels of my last one, but I enjoyed that so much that I couldn't wait to dive into another.  I've chosen Joystick's Halberstadt CL.IV this time, I like its compact, purposeful design. There seems to be a lot of useful photos on the Internet due to the fact that there are surviving examples  in major museums, so scratchbuilding the cockpit and other details should be easy enough.

I've started by cutting out the fuselage halves and rubbing them down, the next step was to cut out the cockpit and engine openings.  Despite all the photos available, I've had a hard time finding any that show a clear view of the forward firing machine gun and the opening in the fuselage decking ahead of the cockpit for it (For some reason, the restored museum examples don't have either gun mounted).  I think I have a fair idea of how it should go- there's a flat shelf ahead of the instrument panel that the gun's breech sits on, and it's rear end appears to be accessible through a cut-out in the I.P.

The smaller slots are for the aileron pushrods which run up to the upper wing center section.

Joystick provide the upper engine cylinders in white metal which will probably suffice since not much shows above the cowlings.  I'll need to build a shelf for them to sit on, so the next step will be making the firewall so that I have something to anchor that to.

-Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Joystick 1/72 Halberstadt CL.IV
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 10:59:21 AM »
Great to see you jump straight into another build Dan, your chosen subject looks to be very good and with what you have done so far you will be moving along quite quickly. Looking forward to seeing the next updated photos of this build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »
Damn, Dan!

Another of my favourites, hot on the heals of the last one! Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

Ian

Online Thumbs up

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 04:06:35 PM »
Lovely jubbly another vac build,three cheers for Dan! I thought that you might like to see this comprehensive guide to WW1 vacs

http://www.wwi-models.org/misc/vacs.html

WarrenD

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 04:47:49 AM »
Really nice Dan, I'm looking forward to this one.

Warren

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 05:07:35 AM »
got to love a halbie, and your last project was so nice we would love to see more. as far as gun mounting perhaps see if you can dowload instructions for the mirage cl.iv kit if you cant let me know and i can make a copy and mail it to you or something.

Offline Danh4

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 08:14:36 AM »
Lovely jubbly another vac build,three cheers for Dan! I thought that you might like to see this comprehensive guide to WW1 vacs

http://www.wwi-models.org/misc/vacs.html

Thanks!  That whole site is a treasure trove of useful stuff.  I'm using the cockpit photos from a walkaround there that are very useful.[quote

got to love a halbie, and your last project was so nice we would love to see more. as far as gun mounting perhaps see if you can dowload instructions for the mirage cl.iv kit if you cant let me know and i can make a copy and mail it to you or something.

Good idea, I'll see if I can find them online somewhere.  I did find some photos of a Karaya kit under construction that gave me a good idea of the layout and have been shamelessly copying it.

Thanks to everyone else for the encouragement!  As I mentioned, I've been working on the basic interior structures.  I started by fitting the firewall, with its distinctive sheet metal footwells ahead of the rudder pedals built into it.  I then fit the "shelves" for the engine and gun and also carved a substantial bulkhead that fits close to the nose to represent the front of the engine and also provide something solid that I can insert a toothpick into later to serve as a handle during painting, etc.

I've started work on the cockpit floor, added the fuel tank and have started adding the stringers to the fuselage sides.  So far it all fits inside and is square and level.

Thanks for looking in!

-Dan

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 08:58:18 AM »
You're off to a brilliant start, Dan.  The Halberstadt Cl's are my favorite German subjects.  I have a dual Cl.IV build on hold.  Maybe this will help.
http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1656.0
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Danh4

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 11:20:49 AM »
You're off to a brilliant start, Dan.  The Halberstadt Cl's are my favorite German subjects.  I have a dual Cl.IV build on hold.  Maybe this will help.
http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1656.0
Cheers,
Bud

Thanks Bud, that's very helpful!  Beautiful models by the way, I hope you get back at them soon.

I added the instrument panel to mine and a quick check with a Roden Spandau shows that it sits just about right.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 07:39:28 PM »
Terrific Start! It looks as though you are on your way to another beuty!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

WarrenD

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 11:57:16 PM »
Dan inconveniences a great many electrons to say:

"Thanks!  That whole site is a treasure trove of useful stuff.  I'm using the cockpit photos from a walkaround there that are very useful."

Truly, it is. You ought to join "The List", there are some awfully good folks over there who've been at this a good, long time. You're bound to get some good advice, feedback, etc. and as a plus, you'll make some good friends.

http://www.wwi-models.org/mailman/listinfo/wwi

Just my two Pfennings.

Now, my question for you and the others here. I get how to add sidewall detail, etc., but what gets me about your build, and others I've seen over the years, is how to you produce such a precise floor?  This is something I struggle with: producing a part which goes from wall-to-wall without precise measurements. I've tried it before, and I've been very clumsy in my attempts. Your floor and others I've seen look as if you made one precise cut and "Viola!", done. My floors, etc. look like a piece of cardboard cut with a serrated bread knife because I have to cut, sand, grind, etc. to get it to fit.  I know you make a precise swipe or cut and then snap it off, and I do that, but it just never seems to fit correctly.

It just appears there's a magic method to y'all's work.

Warren

Offline Danh4

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 12:44:56 AM »

You ought to join "The List"

"...how to you produce such a precise floor?

Warren

Thank you, I just followed your link and did just that.  I was a subscriber back in the early 90's but got away from the hobby for a while and eventually changed email addresses and lost touch.  It will be good to be involved again!

As for things like floors and bulkheads, I agree it is difficult to get a nice precise fit.  I start by cutting a strip of plastic that is as wide as the widest part of the floor, etc.  I then scribe a light mark down the center, usually on the underside.  Then I'll slowly trim and sand one side until it is a perfect fit into the fuselage, with that scribed mark lining up with the edge of the fuselage.  Now you can use that good side as a template to transfer the shape to a new piece of plastic, or carefully cut the other side to match, either will give you a good fitting part.

-Dan

Offline radio

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 02:06:35 AM »
Exellent beginning Dan.
Martin

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 07:46:25 AM »
buds thread would also be a great reference i forgot about that. the reason i mentioned the mirage kit is cuz it has better detail on the gun ammo boxs and mounts,the karaya misses that spot and just lengthens the gun decking. what youve done so far is great. i never expect such detail in a 1/72 build but some of you brail scale guys are just masters.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 07:51:21 AM »
i have had a look at my mirage kit and it has 2 forward guns in that kit,but as you know karayas kit shows one, i wonder if some had one and some had 2?