Author Topic: Joystick 1/72 Halberstadt CL.IV  (Read 28438 times)

Offline radio

Re: Joystick 1/72 Halberstadt CL.IV
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 07:08:02 AM »
Very great work.
Martin

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 08:12:53 AM »
That is an absolutely STUNNING interior! Outstanding work in any scale!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 09:48:02 AM »
How did I miss this?  Lovely work, Dan...

Look for an AEG update tonight.  I've got my interior mostly done and the basic cabanes in place with the top center section mocked in place.

I do love your interior.  You are really hitting your stride with these suckers.  More soon I trust?

Dan

Offline Danh4

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with the interior, not so happy that little of it is visible now that the fuselage is together!

How did I miss this?...  More soon I trust?

Dan

Probably because you were so busy with your AEG, which is a much better use of your time!  I did get a bit more done on it today- I chopped off the mis-molded tail of the fuselage and added a slightly extended one made from laminated plastic sheet.  I also cut out all the wings and tail surfaces and sanded them down.  I got to looking at the wings and comparing their thickness to cross sections on drawings and decided they were all way too thin so I have added 15 thou skins to the bottoms.  Just waiting for a bit of filler to dry before sanding them down a bit.  I'm wondering if I really need to do anything to replicate rib detail on those wing bottoms since they will be covered with lozenge decals?  I'd post a photo but it was all really mundane stuff.

-Dan

Offline Culi

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2015, 01:41:52 AM »
Terrific. I am following this project
The process meters...  therefore so much models are stuck between start and finish

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2015, 03:00:13 AM »
I'm wondering if I really need to do anything to replicate rib detail on those wing bottoms since they will be covered with lozenge decals? 

-Dan
Dan, I'd say the rib tapes on the lozenge would suffice, especially in 1/72 scale.  Just the decal thickness would be close to scale.  This is shaping up beautifully.  Can't wait for the next update.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Danh4

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
Dan, I'd say the rib tapes on the lozenge would suffice, especially in 1/72 scale.  Just the decal thickness would be close to scale.  This is shaping up beautifully.  Can't wait for the next update.
Cheers,
Bud

Thanks Bud, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear.  As for the next update, read on!

With the cockpits done, I cut out the wings and sanded them down.  It was obvious that they were a bit thinner than the ones on my previous Albatros build so I decided to glue "skins" of .015" plastic to the bottoms of them.  I cut the skins 1/16" short of the trailing edge and then scraped that step down with one of those big rounded X-acto blades.  A little bit of filler was needed to blend things in but it allows for a nice thin trailing edge.

Here's a shot of the root end of one of the lower wings with the skinning in place, the wing section is very close to that shown in the drawings I'm using.  The nice thing about having two layers glued together is that drill bits seem to guide themselves nice and straight between the two.

While I was waiting for filler to dry, I started making a jig to hold things in alignment. 

I drilled holes in the wings for brass rod "spars", then temporarily put sharpened bits of rod in the holes and pressed it against the fuselage while its all lined up in the jig and that showed me where to drill into the fuselage sides.  I was able to get two brass rods all the way through the fuselage so I will have a pretty sturdy attachment of the lower wings. They slide on and off so nicely that I may wait until after the lozenge decals go on before gluing them permanently.

So that's where it stands at the moment, I'll probably work on the landing gear next, but like the Albatros, I won't permanently attach any of it so that I can continue using the jig when it comes time to fit the upper wing.

Thanks for looking!

-Dan

WarrenD

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2015, 08:52:28 AM »
Excellent work all around Dan.

Warren

Offline IanB

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2015, 08:54:22 AM »
Nice work on the wings, I'll keep that idea in mind when I finally get around to starting my rather large stash of vacs....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2015, 01:29:07 PM »
Outstanding work Dan! Looks terrific and your alignment jig is spectacular!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2015, 01:55:07 PM »
very nice.this is what modelling is about. actually taking something that isnt all that and making into something that is a sight to behold. to me its about solving problems in creative ways and making art from nothing.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2015, 02:15:05 PM »
Beautiful work on the painting of the interior, and you have done a great job with the fitment of the bottom wing to the fuselage, this will make for a very strong join.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2015, 08:08:09 PM »
Just catching up, Dan.  You are doing a terrific job
especially the cockpit with it's delicate bits...amazing
in this scale!  Looking forward to more updates. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline radio

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2015, 10:12:40 PM »
Great work Dan.
Martin

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2015, 05:54:11 AM »
Just have to add my comments...pretty boring at this point.  Beautiful, wonderful, awesome...you get the drill  ;)

It's really coming along. I will be playing with the AEG landing gear tonight!

Colors will be great on this machine.  Watching with great interest.

Dan