Author Topic: Joystick 1/72 Halberstadt CL.IV  (Read 28573 times)

Offline Danh4

Re: Joystick 1/72 Halberstadt CL.IV
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2015, 07:23:51 AM »

It's really coming along. I will be playing with the AEG landing gear tonight!

Dan

I guess this must be the weekend for landing gears then, did you make any progress with yours?  I got both the tail skid and the main gear under my Halberstadt.

Here's the main gear.  I cut the legs out of sheet plastic and they're a bit thicker than they should be but I sacrificed scale for strength.  The cross-tubes are brass from Albion Alloys with copper wire running through them to hold the legs together and then its wrapped around the brass rod axle to replicate the bungee cords.  It's a bit of a mess really and I'm glad the wheels will hide most of it!

The main gear needed to be removable so the model can go back in the wing jig, it slips on and off with the 4 brass wire pins going into holes drilled into the fuselage.

I also started work on the gun ring.  It took a couple of tries to get the mounts between the ring and the rear fuselage right, I had one pair in place but decided they just weren't right and so I snapped them off and started over.  The ones on there now aren't perfect but they will do.

That's it for this weekend!

-Dan

Offline IanB

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2015, 11:12:49 AM »
Nice work on the landing gear, looks great!
The gun ring looks a little large and high to me, but maybe it's just the perspective....She's shaping up to be a pretty damn nice Halby!

Ian

Offline Danh4

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2015, 11:29:34 AM »
Nice work on the landing gear, looks great!
The gun ring looks a little large and high to me, but maybe it's just the perspective....She's shaping up to be a pretty damn nice Halby!

Ian
Hi Ian,

Yes, that gun ring is definitely still a work in progress.  The outside dimension of the ring is correct per the plans I'm using but the inside still needs to be opened up a bit.  I've left it a little wide because I need to scribe a circle around it somehow. I agree with you that it sits a little high in the rear, or the mounts make it look like it is because they are taller than photos and plans show.  I think the real problem is that the rear fuselage decking should have more crown to it, so it isn't that the gun ring is too high, its that the fuselage is too low!  I think I'll sand a little off the top of the rear mounts and try to split the difference visually.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Dan

Online NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2015, 02:30:01 AM »
Looks great, Dan...

Love the way your gear just snaps in.  That's some great engineering.  Do tell us how you made those nice streamlined ring supports.  They couldn't have been fun to make and add seamlessly.

And no...I ended up having so much yard work, fixed a fence and went to a Mother's Day concert my daughter put on...so the one thing I did NOT get to do this weekend was the gear.  :-(

Soon, though...

Dan

Offline Danh4

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2015, 05:15:30 AM »

Do tell us how you made those nice streamlined ring supports.

They weren't that bad actually, I started with  the smallest size of extruded strut stock I had and it took just two cuts to make each one.  Getting them in the proper position with a drop of CA on the bottom was the real fun part.  After that just a little work with sandpaper was needed to clean things up. 

Its yard work time here in NY too, I spent most of Saturday mowing and trimming.  Nice to be out in the sun though!

-Dan

Offline radio

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2015, 05:20:34 AM »
Very great work Dan.
Martin

Offline AROTH

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2015, 11:47:56 AM »
It is a rather large looking affair.....

Offline AROTH

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2015, 11:50:47 AM »
Also, note two support rods on either side .....

Online RAGIII

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2015, 12:52:14 PM »
Exceptional work on this kit! Looks terrific to date!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2015, 01:33:08 AM »
Thanks for those pics Aroth - saved for future use! Dan, I see what you mean about the rear decking.....awkward problem!

Ian

Offline Danh4

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2015, 02:11:56 AM »
Yes, thanks for those pics Aroth! 

-Dan

Offline AROTH

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2015, 01:29:32 PM »

Offline Danh4

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2015, 01:35:38 AM »
A few more here if the link works.

http://s1235.photobucket.com/user/ALBATROSD5/library/Halberstadt%20CLIV?sort=3&page=1

Those are outstanding!  Thank you for sharing them, there are some shots in there that I've been wishing for, they will be very helpful.

Dan

Offline Danh4

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2015, 12:15:59 AM »
I've spent the last few evenings experimenting with different materials and ways of making up the cabane struts and finally settled on brass wire.  It doesn't have the flat section that the real struts had but I'm hoping I can get away with it in this scale as it is a lot stronger than the plastic struts I tried.  The hardest part was bending up two identical sets of the forward struts and I had to do it more than once as I fine-tuned the fit. 

They do what they're supposed to though, the upper wing snaps into place quite nicely.

You can also see that I've added the padding around the cockpit opening from stretched sprue.  I should be painting and decalling before too long now.

-Dan

Online RAGIII

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2015, 12:54:50 AM »
Outstanding update! This is really coming together now!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler