Author Topic: Joystick 1/72 Halberstadt CL.IV  (Read 28901 times)

Offline radio

Re: Joystick 1/72 Halberstadt CL.IV
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2015, 04:00:43 AM »
Like Rick, no other words.
Martin
Outstanding update! This is really coming together now!
RAGIII
!

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2015, 04:58:42 AM »
Your "Halbie" is looking great, Dan! :D

George

WarrenD

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2015, 12:12:24 AM »
Dan, I am in awe at your work. I aspire to this level one day.

Warren

Offline Danh4

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2015, 09:49:46 AM »
You guys are too nice, I appreciate it though!

Today I decided to get some paint on it.  Freehand airbrushing without masks is not my thing so there was quite a bit of touch-up to get it to this point-

Question for you guys about preparing the wings for lozenge decals- I've primed them with gray already, should I just give that a coat of Future and then apply the decals or is something more needed?

-Dan

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2015, 12:18:05 PM »
That looks just great, Dan.  On 48th scale interplane struts, I use 1/16th inch aluminum tubing and crimp it a bit between two flat surfaces in a vice (I use two metal rulers) squishing it to a semi airfoil shape.  But for these little guys, I also just use brass tubing especially on cabanes and landing gear that need to be tough.  They look great (like yours) once they are all painted etc. 

Lozenge...I never put down a gloss coat for those since I'm not worried about carrier film looking bad.  No outline to worry about.  See what other folks say, but I wouldn't bother...

Great progress, by the way!

Dan (very behind on his AEG)

Offline radio

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2015, 07:31:06 PM »
Nice airbrushing.
Martin

Offline Danh4

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »
Lozenge...I never put down a gloss coat for those since I'm not worried about carrier film looking bad.  No outline to worry about.  See what other folks say, but I wouldn't bother...

Thanks Dan.  I just ordered some Aviattic lozenge decals from Hannant's so I'll be getting on with that when they arrive. I was planning to use some Eagle Strike lozenge that I have on hand but it just looks way too dark to me.  As for the Future, I think I'm going to put down a coat just to help the decals adhere more than anything else, it can't hurt.

-Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2015, 09:56:01 PM »

Thanks Dan.  I just ordered some Aviattic lozenge decals from Hannant's so I'll be getting on with that when they arrive. I was planning to use some Eagle Strike lozenge that I have on hand but it just looks way too dark to me.  As for the Future, I think I'm going to put down a coat just to help the decals adhere more than anything else, it can't hurt.

-Dan

Using the Aviattic Lozenge is a great choice! I highly recommend following the directions for application. Apply over a glossy white surface!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Danh4

« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2015, 12:36:04 AM »

Using the Aviattic Lozenge is a great choice! I highly recommend following the directions for application. Apply over a glossy white surface!
RAGIII
[/quote]

That's good to hear!  It took me a while to figure out all the options available and I finally decided to buy the "factory fresh" 5-color lozenge in individual strips (since the lozenge on the Halbie was applied at 45 degrees on the wings, right?).  I also bought the same thing on white decal paper so I can cut rib tapes from it.  I'm a little worried that those will end up with white edges but its worth a try. 

-Dan

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2015, 02:06:11 AM »
RAGIII

Shows you what I know  ;D ;D

I'm glad this is turning out so splendidly.  Can't wait for more results!

DanS

Offline radio

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2015, 05:00:14 AM »
The 45 degree angle will be right. I don't know if they also aviable like the other scales by Avittic?
Martin

WarrenD

« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2015, 10:45:05 AM »
Dan, this is just beautiful work. I'm looking forward to seeing you work with the Aviattic decals. I know others here have used them to great effect, but I want to see how a fellow 1/72nd scale builder deals  with them, etc. (I've never used lozenge decals before, so I'm a complete noob when it comes to that end of our madness.)

Warren

Offline Danh4

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2015, 06:48:06 AM »
Dan, this is just beautiful work. I'm looking forward to seeing you work with the Aviattic decals. I know others here have used them to great effect, but I want to see how a fellow 1/72nd scale builder deals  with them, etc. (I've never used lozenge decals before, so I'm a complete noob when it comes to that end of our madness.)

Warren

Hi Warren,

I'm very nearly a noob too when it comes to lozenge decals, I've only used them once before and that was close to 20 years ago when I used some Eagle Strike decals on a Toko SSW D-III.  We'll find out soon how it goes because my decals arrived from Hannant's today...

The two large sheets are Aviattic's "factory fresh" 5-color, one printed on clear decal film and the other on white from which the rib tapes are to be cut if I understand the concept correctly.  I'm a little worried about all the rib tapes ending up with white edges but we'll see.  The other package contains 4-color lozenge and rib tapes from a Czech company called Old Propeller.  I saw them on Hannant's site and added them to the order for future use, they look really nice.

I'm hoping to get the wings painted a gloss white tonight and maybe start the decaling tomorrow.

-Dan

Offline Danh4

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2015, 06:58:32 AM »
Not a lot of progress to report, I'm currently working on getting the wings ready for the lozenge decals.  Here's a shot of the upper wing with the aileron bellcranks added from copper wire.  I forgot to flip it over and take a shot of the underside- I had to scribe the radiator and fuel tank detail into the bottom of the wing and that turned out OK.

I also got the gun ring finished and installed...

If you look closely in the rear cockpit you can see the gunner's canvas sling seat that I made from a Tyvek envelope.  You can cut that stuff into very thin strips and it still won't tear, it makes great seatbelts and harnesses.

-Dan

Offline radio

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2015, 07:06:36 AM »
Very good work Dan.
Martin