Author Topic: Wingnut Wings 1:32 LVG C.VI  (Read 34148 times)

Bughunter

Re: Wingnut Wings 1:32 LVG C.VI
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2018, 07:53:47 AM »
Again such a clean and careful build, this will be again an impressive model!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline aliluke

« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2018, 10:55:48 AM »
Looks wonderful Lance. Feels so familiar!

Interestingly I noticed today that the wood work on my LVG has darkened since completing - I have no idea why but I quite like it.

Also of note WNW recommends alternating horizontal wood grain with vertical wood grain between adjoining panels. But if you look at the replica, as photographed by Jamo, the grain all runs in one direction - from nose to tail. So that is the way I did it and it feels right. I also noted on some builds, in the customer gallery on the WNW site, very strong representations of the panel lines - some even showing staining between adjacent panels along the panel lines. This felt wrong to me as, again, Jamo's photos show that even at full scale the joints are very subtle and hard to see - as is the grain for that matter.

I look forward to your build unfolding further - on evidence to date it is going to be a very impresive rendition - of that I'm sure!

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2018, 11:24:43 PM »
    Thanks Alistair, It's neat that we have a sort of very mini Group Build going here!
    I too considered the "grain direction" on finishing the fuselage wood work; in the end I decided to not alternate horizontal and vertical panels however I am staggering the direction between the panels a few degrees to ensure an impression of definite individual panel construction. I've finished the one side of the fuselage as you can see in the two following photos, I'm not 100% pleased with the results but the grain should become less "graphic" with the planned over coats, particularly some clear yellow I think. What do you think?   ........ be brutally honest if you wish! Here's this morning's photos with the right side finished:

I'm trying to keep the joins between the panels subtle as well; most of the photos don't indicate a really noticeable  contrast at the joins.

Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2018, 05:23:39 AM »
Not sure Lance as I do not know how much the clear orange varnish will enhance the differences in the paint. Also I am not sure how true the colours are in the photo - they can be very different in natural light on the real object. Could I suggest that if you are not sure you try out a test on some scrap plastic?

Only a suggestion.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2018, 05:25:58 AM »
Catching up on all of the builds I have missed in the last couple of Months. Your LVG is Stunning. The engine work, interior Mods, painting of the leather seats etc. are gorgeous Love the work you have done with the wood graining, and Lozenge wings/markings. This will be another Stunning addition to your collection for sure!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2018, 09:54:07 AM »
Thanks for your very generous comments Rick. Stephen, I'm planning a coat of clear yellow on top of this and a final semi gloss clear coat. By way of a test I plan to do just the vertical Stabilizer which can always be stripped if it doesn't work out. More to follow.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2018, 03:08:39 PM »
Hi Lance:

Catching up here on your build.  To be brutall honest eh?  It seems a bit too yellow for my taste.  Maybe it could be toned down a bit with some Smoke or a thinned mixture with some orange to tone down the yellow.  But; as others have stated, it could be the lighting, the computer screen color representation, not sure.  I like the grain you have achieved and the panel line demarkation is nice.  I know on the actual aircraft they aren't that visible, but; it is a model and I do like the "slight" demarkation.  Sadly, the interior work pretty much disappears once buttoned up, but as you say:  "I know it's in there."   As to the color, as mentioned and I am sure you already know, experiment on an a piece of plastic. 
Keep the meter pegged to the right of zero Lance, it's gettin there.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline aliluke

« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2018, 03:59:13 PM »
Hi Lance
Help - I'm sure as not an expert in these things. It is all to your own eye. For my eye on your model - too much grain and too much shift in grain. I reckon plywood has only two ways to go - vertical or horizontal. I reckon the LVG would have had only horizontal grain. The photos of the FMF LVG by Jamo support that.

From my ship modeling days, working at 1:64 and using real boxwood, holly and pear - the grain is almost invisible but you know it is wood. That, at 1:32, is the same equation - it looks like wood but only just so. An impresion of it. That is they way I'll keep doing it with these magnificent flying machines. But I know others here push the grain effect. I am now doing woodwork on a Hannover and when my daughter finds my camera  >:( I will post.

But heck - what you are doing with your rendition plus what I'm seeing from Prez makes me feel like a flake in comparison!

The whole woodwork thing is a great topic to discuss!

Cheers,
Alistair

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2018, 04:06:33 AM »

Mark, I agree with your comments regarding demarcation between the panels. Alistair, your comments regarding grain are too true; I tried to reduce the grain effect and contrast hoping to achieve a slight contrast between panels vice "within the panel" if that makes sense. I hope a clear yellow coat will reduce the grain pattern within individual panels even more but we'll see....... As for the overall yellow appearance the British Report on the natural wood finish of the fuselage on 7243/18 describes it as a transparent yellow varnish finish which resulted in a "light brown appearance". The grain in my Macro photos is more pronounced then I see in real life here and I'm hoping the overall light brown effect is there. Depending on the yellow over coat effect I may have to darken the whole thing as Mark suggests.
    Modelling madness at it's peak but most enjoyable at this stage. That may change if I have to remove all this paint and start over!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline aliluke

« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2018, 05:23:48 PM »
Hi Lance
It will pan out for sure. And I'll be looking in to see how good it looks very soon. I envy your wings and will certainly envy your fuselage - still like to think of it as a hull!- when it is finished.

I have those orange and yellow clear coats by Tamiya but haven't used them yet - time to experiment...

Cheers'
Alistair

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2018, 11:52:08 PM »
Alistair,
    A word of caution regarding the Tamiya Clear Coats; consider thinning them more then the amount you'd thin regular Tamiya colors, they are pretty "gooey" in my experience and very easy to over apply. Thin mist coats work best.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ryan

« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2018, 12:13:00 AM »
Alistair,
    A word of caution regarding the Tamiya Clear Coats; consider thinning them more then the amount you'd thin regular Tamiya colors, they are pretty "gooey" in my experience and very easy to over apply. Thin mist coats work best.
Cheers,
Lance

Lance speaks the truth.

Once you get them thinned properly they are fabulous.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline Scrodes

« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2018, 08:57:43 AM »
Alistair,
    A word of caution regarding the Tamiya Clear Coats;

And be sure to wipe the threads of the bottle and cap if you ever want to use the paint again. You'll need a blowtorch to get the lid off otherwise.

Or a footlong pair of channel lock pliers, but remember to focus on turning them as opposed to squeezing them.

Many adventure have been had with these as us WWII guys use them only occasionally.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2018, 07:42:16 PM »
Looking better and better, Lance. Great work on losenge and wooden fuselage. It looks so much different to the cmouflaged one I am building.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2018, 10:59:07 PM »
Thank You Prze. I hope to publish some updated photos of the fuselage with the decals completed soon, the strips along the side/top and side/ bottom seams are a time consuming step and model desk time is limited presently. More to follow soon.
Cheers,
Lance