Author Topic: Wingnut Wings 1:32 LVG C.VI  (Read 34578 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Wingnut Wings 1:32 LVG C.VI
« on: August 19, 2018, 12:28:30 PM »
    Here's my next project, the familiar Wingnut Wings LVG offering. I missed the initial release and regretted not taking the opportunity earlier. Fortunately the recent release of the Duelist LVG C.VI and Clerget Sopwith Camel filled the desire for both Kits.

I'll be using the two excellent Albatros Publications Windsock articles, the Kit's Plan Booklet, and the wealth of excellent photos on the Wingnuts site for references for the Build.

I have ordered the HGW Fabric Seat Belt set for the model and also Gaspatch guns, both the single Spandau 08 and the Parabellum for the Observer. I have yet to decide on the color scheme but have narrowed the choices down to either the Kit scheme of 7243/18 of Flieger Abteilung 13 or the Unknown Unit version of scheme #1 in the original Kit with the checker board panels.

Over the past several days I've commenced the Build with the Benz IV engine:

The magnetos have been drilled to receive the ignition leads:

The main components assembled:

...... and the block sprayed with Alclad II Dull Aluminum, the cylinder bank with Tamiya S/G Black and Modelmaster Guards Red darkened with the S/C Black. I then added the stainless steel push rods as I chose the option of the cylinders without the molded rods which I see as far too large.

I also "scratched" the ignition wire heat shields/conduits from thin aluminum stock (disposable cake pan material) and installed them with CA.

So I've got a start on this one, next comes the ignition wires and some add on "plumbing". I am really looking forward to this Build, it looks like a great Kit!
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 12:33:18 PM by lcarroll »

Offline Gisbod

Re: Wingnut Wings 1:32 LVG C.VI
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 04:31:23 PM »
Lovely Lance!

I’ve always fancied this one  ;D

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 07:16:26 PM »
A very nice start on the engine Lance.

I got in there straight away and ordered the LVG when it was first released.
Although nearing the end of my project, you have still made more progress on your engine in a few days ,than I have on mine spanning 9 years and counting!

Enjoy the build.

Dave :)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 09:39:14 PM »
Guy,
    Thanks! It is a very attractive aircraft and a real icon of WW.I in the air.
Dave,
    Thanks for looking in, I hope to finish it up in slightly less time then that! ;) It should be a very enjoyable Build from what I see in the box.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline davec

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 10:50:25 PM »
Lance - looking forward to your build.  Thanks for the picture of the magnetos being drilled while still attached to the sprue.  I like watching progress pictures and seeing the great work here, but the technique pictures help even more.  I have been making things a real struggle by removing parts from the sprues before doing detail work on them-your way looks a lot easier.  Probably something known to everyone else here, but for me, this was a revelation.  thanks!  Dave

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 10:54:52 PM »
Very nice start on the engine Lance, really looking forward to your progress on this bird.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 11:03:13 PM »
Dave,
    Along the line of "true confessions" I must admit to learning this lesson the hard way; I must have drilled out close to a dozen of these (and similar tiny parts) before it suddenly dawned on me that leaving them attached made supporting the work a lot easier, and also made the pain of slipped drill bits and blades on fingers go away, a slow process, but progress never the less! :-[
   Glad to be of help. 

Juan,
     Thanks for looking and for your comment, much appreciated. :)   
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 01:38:20 AM »
Hi Lance and off to the races with the engine.  Looks good so far, I like the red on the cylinders, makes the engine stand out that much more.  As you are adding material to the engine, it is good with this kit to test fit how it all fits in the fuselage as it is engineered pretty close.  I think you'll be okay with what you are doing, but double check.  It is a great kit and I look forward to seeing your work as you progress on the build.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline krow113

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 02:21:52 AM »
Looking good.
And yes working on parts while attached to the sprue is a good method , used by modelers for decades.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 03:22:13 AM »
Another great start on another build of which I expect no less than the usual masterpiece from your bench, Lance!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 05:08:16 AM »
Mark,
    Good point and one I'll keep firmly in mind!

Steve,
    Yes, like most old "Fuddy Duddies" I knew that at one time but forgot. (Again/still!!)

Andreas,
    Thanks for the comment and encouragement!
Cheers All,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 06:39:59 AM »
Another fan of yours looking and waiting for updates  ;)
Good luck!

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 07:03:07 AM »
So you have been secretly building have you - and all the while pretending that you were tidying up your work space!

Good start Lance, that engine already looks very good and with your added details is going to be even better. I'll bet you finish this kit before I complete my current build!

Stephen.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 11:21:42 AM »
Having just finished my LVG I look forward to seeing your considerable skills turned to this wonderful model! The engine already looks brilliant.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »
Bob and Alistair,
     Thank you for the very positive and complimentary remarks, I really appreciate your support and encouragement.
Stephen,
     I may be a little slower to the finish line then you think! I've been working on the ignition leads and as fast as I install a wire I seem to break another off! These old not so slim fingers are becoming a bit of a liability I'm afraid .......  I may have to switch to Lego Builds!
Cheers,
Lance