Author Topic: Wingnut Wings 1:32 LVG C.VI  (Read 34829 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Wingnut Wings 1:32 LVG C.VI
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2018, 02:46:17 AM »
Gorgeous engine, Lance!  I don't see where any touch-ups are required.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2018, 03:35:40 AM »
I agree with Bud - those macro shots show a superb engine, especially the wiring.

Stephen.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2018, 05:57:12 AM »
Bud, Stephen,
    Wow! You Guys are far too kind, thanks so much. I'll repeat the comment someone else once made, "we are our own worst critics when it comes to our work". I sometimes cringe at what pops out in the photos I post on my Build Logs however I accept the results as being the best I can do, and significantly not perfect by a,long shot! As long as the fun remains in the Build that's the priority; getting positive and complimentary feedback such as this adds to the enjoyment of the project. Thanks again! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline smperry

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2018, 07:06:25 AM »
Lance
Engine looks great. How's it run?

Sorry, couldn't resist. That really is excellent work and it is evident that the fun still exists..in abundance. I learned a lot just looking at your photos. Your extra efforts to photograph and post these shots is most appreciated.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2018, 07:54:49 AM »
Lovely engine, Lance. Go on!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2018, 08:15:45 AM »
Thanks sp, and Przemol, it's going well so far.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 02:57:50 AM »
Nice work on the engine, Lance. The LVG C.VI was the first German WnW kit I built and I enjoyed every minute (except for the rib tapes!).

Just wanted to re-ask Gisbod's question about the material for the ignition leads and what you use to glue them?

Cheers,
Gary

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 03:40:48 AM »
Gary, (and Guy)
   Oops, I missed your question Guy, sorry!
   As I said earlier I still struggle with the ignition wires. I've tried various sizes of copper wire and both Modelkasten and EZ line, 0.010 inch lead line used in Fly Fishing "flies", and various types of monofilament fishing lines; none of these produce great results IMHO. On this one I used a 0.3 mm Stainless Steel "Beading Wire" which is used to string beads on for craft jewelry, that was a complete failure and I stripped it all off and went back to lead wire. On the magnetos I used mono fishing line (0.13mm) and I think next time it will be the material of choice for all wires. for all I use medium or thick CA as a glue. I've also tried using the eyelets from Bob's Buckles to attach the wires to the plugs and I want to try that again, it gives a much cleaner connection then you see here. There's still lots to be learned on this topic for me!
    Gary, I remember seeing your "Eleynor" at the Regional Competition 4 or 5 years ago, a magnificent model and I'd like to come just close to it with this one. I was starting to wonder if you'd drifted back to the "dark side" of Armour Modelling and abandoned us, nice to hear from you again!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2018, 09:15:43 AM »
Hi Lance:

The engine looks the business.  I bet the fun meter was pegged in the red zone painting the cylinder stripes red. :o  The engine is a gem and will look good in the front end of the LVG.  I am still trying to figure out how to do the snow camo scheme.  Someone masked it using toothpaste.  I wonder how he did that.
Looks good and keep those updates coming.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2018, 11:43:51 AM »
Thanks Mark, I hope to do another update in the next day or so. The HGW belts arrived today and I've got a good start on the cockpits, I need one good desk session to get some progress that shows! It's a really smooth Build so far, nice Kit!
Cheers,
Lance

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2018, 09:27:44 AM »
    So here it is yet another week later and I'm still plodding along on the cockpit portion of the Build. It's not complete but here's a progress report before I get too far along.
   I started with the fuselage formers and leaning gratefully on Przemol's research and Jamo's photo spread on the aircraft here on the Forum started with removal of the  Starter Magneto from the instrument panel former to relocate it on the port side panel.

The former for the rear of the pilot's position was modified by opening up the center portion.

The formers were wood grained with an acrylic base coat and oils for the grain effect and then I added the instrument details, the panel still requires a small selector lever on the left side. AeroClub Instrument Bezels were added as well.

The ammunition storage box was added to the firewall and the formers drilled for routing of the flight control cables.

Next the fuel tank and pilot's seat were completed and the rudder controls with scratch built rudder cable pulleys followed. The seat belts and flight control cables will be next.

The flight control column and radio for the rear cockpit are completed as well.

Next came the various side panel completions. The left side still requires some fuel lines and push rods for the engine controls. the magneto and it's added panel are done and in place. I'm leaving the smaller fuel control until the cockpit is assembled as it is very delicate and I want to avoid breaking it for the third time!

The right side is about 80% complete. I've relocated the wireless aerial spool to the side and added a scratch built compass and a fuel shutoff lever from the spares box. It still requires a line and a push rod to be complete.

For a change of pace I completed the upper wing center section and radiator while doing the fuel tank.

The rear cockpit will now get some attention as well. Waiting on the side are the wings and tail flying components already sprayed white, pre-shaded, and glossed up with Future for the lozenge decal application.
    Things should speed up a bit from this point!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline smperry

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2018, 09:35:47 AM »
Lance
\You are making it hard for me to keep my LVG sprues sealed in the plastic. Feel free to continue, I'm learning a lot.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2018, 04:39:25 PM »
Another update another eye candy moment  ;)
Keep sending the candy, Lance!

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2018, 04:44:46 PM »
Lovely, Lance. And so familiar  ;)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2018, 11:27:29 PM »
Thanks for commenting sp and von B. Thank you as well Prze, I'm not surprised you recognize the subject! ;)
Cheers,
Lance