Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Camel (Comic)  (Read 10062 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: WNW Sopwith Camel (Comic)
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2018, 06:03:48 AM »
Thanks for the info Matt. Sounds like there's lots of room for a "flexible" approach to the interior layout at least.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Matt

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2018, 08:00:16 AM »
Yep Lance..

There area  couple of things that still bother me a little.

1. Would spare Lewis gun magazines have been carried? The guns can be brought down to a 45 degree position (like an SE5a) but did this mean magazine replacement or jam fixing?
2. This a/c usually had night flying lights. I assumed at this stage and with a rotary engine, there had to be a wind driven generator. However, I can only find images with the wind driven fuel pump - often relocated to one of the u/c struts...  So, did these machines use a battery for power? The landing flares were also electrically lit AFAIK...

Matt

Bughunter

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2018, 08:40:48 AM »
The Lewis needs spare drums, because there are not so many rounds in.
The SE.5a hat one spare above the instruments and another below the the seat, the Sopwith Dolphin some drums below the seat.
The Bristol Fighter had spares on both sides of the cockpit.

The landing lights was Holt flares, electrical ignition, but then magnesia burns very bright. Please see the recent build report of my SE.5a night fighter.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Matt

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2018, 08:56:32 AM »
Thanks Frank.

I hadn't thought of below the seat.. :)

Regarding the lighting, the Comic and some non-Comic night flying Camels also had 'Holt Lights'. These are visible on the top of the lower wing (above the Holt Flare) and often a single on the upper rear fuselage. These are electric lights which I can only assume are illuminated for the duration of the flight. The WNW Camel Le Rhone includes these on the clear sprue for the night flying Camel option.

I suppose a lead/acid battery could operate a trio of bulbs for a flight's duration...

Lance, it has just occurred to me that the boxing I have used is a Le Rhone, so I assume it was that engine that was mostly used (I don't recall where I read it, but made a specific choice of boxing to get the 'right' engine.). I shall have a look in my refs again. OK tracked down my source.. it's here on the Great War Forum.. https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/142947-sopwith-camel-comic/?do=findComment&comment=1366901

I don't know the chap from Adam, but he seemed to know his Camel stuff... :)

Matt
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:18:23 AM by Matt »