Author Topic: Wingnut Wings 1:32 LVG C.VI  (Read 34762 times)

Offline gedmundson

Re: Wingnut Wings 1:32 LVG C.VI
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2018, 10:15:06 PM »
Looks great Lance!
Cheers, Gary

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2018, 12:26:45 AM »
   Thanks very much Gary, and good to hear from you again! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2018, 08:24:36 PM »
Great looking LVG, Lance. I like the light finish of the wood. Looks great, looking forward when the wings will be attached.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2018, 01:35:19 AM »
Thanks for looking and for your comment Manni. I'm very pleased with the light wood finish as well, it's the first time I've attempted it. As for the wings, yes, I too am looking forward to getting her all together, it's been a slow Build!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2018, 12:35:24 PM »
That's looking really good Lance and I'm super impressed with the subtle wood finish effect which looks very true to life.

The LVG is one I've been tempted to do several times but something else always gets in the way. I'm really enjoying your build.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2018, 08:27:48 PM »
Looking good Lance - this one is in my stash so I'm following your build with great interest,
You mentioned 'decals' for the panel seams - I assume not specific seam decals?

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2018, 10:46:18 PM »
Thank you both for your comments! Mike, the Kit includes decal strips for the longitudinal seams on the fuselage. The fuselage is engineered a little differently then on most kits, it is in four pieces as opposed to the standard two piece "clam shell" design. On the real aircraft these strips are heavily doped fabric and a study of reference photos indicates they vary from a contrasting darker color then the natural wood fuselage (reddish brown on the Belgian survivor) to a very light color on others. The Kit strips are a natural wood color.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2018, 01:10:37 AM »
Hi Lance,
Thanks for the heads up on the panel decals.
I have to admit I've only opened the box to check the contents when it first arrived.
I hadn't realized that the tan strip decals were for panels - I assumed they were alternative rib tapes!!
I know better now,

Thanks,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2018, 11:21:51 PM »
 Lance,
Very impressive work to date my old friend. Love that wood graining.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2018, 05:19:35 AM »
    Thanks for your most welcome comments Mike and Greg. I'm posting another update as I've made a bit more progress in several small sessions since the last.
    I tossed a little oil around the engine compartment however it completely disappeared later when I added the engine and the upper panels.

Next came pre rigging of the cabane strut cross braces followed by the tachometer, the cabane struts, and the wind screen. The metal upper rear engine cowling was added as well.

The pilots single Spandau was added last.

At this point the upper wing radiator section had it's eight rigging eyelets installed.

The radiator section was then attached using 5 Minute Epoxy, the fit was excellent with the radiator line from the rear of the engine falling into place nicely as well. This was followed by completion of the cross rigging wires which took some time and more patience. Big arthritic fingers prove no small limiting factors in the confined areas but the results were good in the end result!

Finally the fuselage got it's first coat of Satin overcoat using Vallejo Polyurethane Varnish applied by brush. I'm going to leave the landing gear off until it's fully rigged so now it's on to the wings assembly and rigging. I have to add that the fit of this kit is very nice, only clean up of paint residue as usual with Wingnut Wings Kits is required to get perfect fits although the upper engine panels did require some minor "adjustments".
    Now it's on to the wings.

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2018, 06:23:36 AM »
Looking fantastic Lance.  She is a beauty.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2018, 06:27:58 AM »
Thank you Juan, hopefully this Build continues without any major challenges. So far all's going suspiciously well ........ ???
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2018, 12:56:02 PM »
This looks amazing Lance! The fine detail is most impressive and the subtle wood effect just sets up the whole project perfectly.

Simply outstanding!

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2018, 01:10:01 PM »
Thank you Dave. Apparently my previous comment about things going "suspiciously well" angered the Gods of Modelling as I had a bit of a disaster a few hours later which I'll post the details of tomorrow. The repairs are underway and hopefully will cover the results of my carelessness. Never to old to learn they say ......... ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline aliluke

« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2018, 04:02:14 PM »
Looking fantastic Lance. Your wood effect has really grown on me but I remain happy having gone for dark wood on my LVG (no going back now anyway). Really like your subtle weathering on the metal panels - I wonder if there should be a tips section in the forum solely devoted to this art as it is beyond me and is another layer of modelling that I'd like to learn.

I think, like me, you had some trouble getting the hinged vents to properly seat into the fuselage - they end up slightly raised. Mine worked OK on one side (port) and not so well on the other but not really visible to the naked eye.

Please tell me that the Spandau is an aftermarket part! It is superb in every detail and I sure can't achieve that with the kit version - just done one for the Hannover and it is nowhere near as good.

I'm sure you'll correct your mishap and I look forward to seeing the close out of one really great LVG rendition.

Cheers,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.