Author Topic: Wingnut Wings 1:32 LVG C.VI  (Read 34801 times)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: Wingnut Wings 1:32 LVG C.VI
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2018, 05:20:38 PM »
Looking superb, Lance!
 :)vB ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Online RAGIII

« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2018, 12:12:45 AM »
Your LVG is continuing to be one of your stunning builds Lance! Whatever disaster struck I am confident you will work your way through to a beautiful result!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2018, 12:43:05 AM »
    Thanks for the very generous and encouraging comments Guys.
Alistair, the Spandau is the Czech Master brass barrel and cooling jacket installed on the Kit Breech assembly. I really like their product although the Gas Patch version is also really nice. I use either depending on what's on hand and other then the muzzles the Wingnut Kit version with it's PE jacket is well done as well. I find the latter is hit and miss when drilling out the muzzle on the barrel so usually use them only when the gun is mainly hidden on the model. This one is finished in a mix of Alclad Airframe Aluminum and Gun Metal as I find their Gun Metal too dark.
   I'll be working on the "fix" for yesterday's foul up today, but there's close to a foot of snow in the driveway to be dealt with this morning. Winter has finally arrived in the Canadian Great White North! :(
    More to follow later today.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2018, 01:12:44 AM »
     So, I thought I'd post a photo of yesterday's tomfoolery on my desk, I'm sure it happens to all of us however I am still mystified by this one! If I had to put a title on this post I'd call it "Mister Bean Builds the LVG"! :-[ :-\
    There I was happily drilling and gluing in Bob's Buckles eyelets on the wings when I discovered the wing was stuck to the desk work surface ......... When I lifted it off I discovered that a "glob" of CA had somehow been deposited on the matt and the result was the removal of several finishing layers of varnish and filter along with half the national marking. I cannot for the life of me determine how the glue got there but there's no doubt WHO the ham fist was that did the deed!.

Not a pretty sight! I was fortunate in that I was able to carefully scrape the glue off without damaging the underlying Lozenge decal and carefully sand down the excess once completely dry. After a panic search of the decal spares folder I found a cross of the same dimensions. I've got the decal on now and will be spraying the light brown filter later today and hopefully all will blend together. Then for a final top coat and I hope seamless repair. I'm no stranger to disaster on the Bench but this one is truly a memory moment! Modelling excitement continues to surge on Bean's Bench! Repair photos to follow later.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2018, 03:11:18 AM »
Oh Lance - I thought that I was the one who made blunders on that scale!! You are ceetainly lucky that the damage was as limited as you describe, but still something whhich you would be better off without.

I do hope that the replacement transfer will conceal the damage and that the wing wil look as good as ever when you finish. Such a first class model too.

Stephen.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2018, 03:42:39 AM »
It is indeed a myster Lance how stuff like that happens.  The modeling Gremlins no doubt having a bit of sport at your expense.  The recovery process you describe sounds like a winner and looking forward to seeing the fix.  As Chris would say:  "Always one step away from disaster." 
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2018, 03:58:10 AM »
Ouch Lance, but you are the master Houdini of fixer uppers, so I see a great recovery.  ;D

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2018, 04:25:50 AM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement Guys!
Hopefully all will go well. Now it's off for episode two, "Mr. Bean drives the snow blower". Hopefully the gremlin's work is confined to the model desk! :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2018, 07:27:30 AM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement Guys!
Hopefully all will go well. Now it's off for episode two, "Mr. Bean drives the snow blower". Hopefully the gremlin's work is confined to the model desk! :-\
Cheers,
Lance

I have to admit to having similar things happen to me with no real idea of HOW! Some of you might remember My Salmson build when somehow I got super glue on my finger and lifted paint and clear coat on the fuselage. Glad you have the decals to replace the damage!
RAGIII

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2018, 09:30:25 AM »
    Are you sure were not related Rick? :o!
    The fix is complete and went very well. here's a couple of shots before I go back to where I was 2 days ago!

There's a bit of rough finish where I would have liked to have sanded more however I was concerned about damaging the Lozenge decals. I can live with this result!
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2018, 09:53:36 AM »
Outstanding recovery Lance! Looks great to me!!
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2018, 04:57:25 AM »
Nothing to worry about there Lance. I am sure that if you do not tell anyone about it, we will not either!

Stephen.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2018, 05:09:50 AM »
Great save Lance.  Looking forward to your progress without any more side trips to what the heckville.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2018, 05:59:53 AM »
Good job Lance!

I get one of those on just about every build...

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline mgunns

« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2018, 07:25:00 AM »
Nice recovery Lance:

Can't even tell where the casualty was.  Hopefully, that's the end of the gremlins.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....