Author Topic: Exclusive look at the new Wingnuts kit  (Read 20195 times)

Offline Trackpad

Re: Exclusive look at the new Wingnuts kit
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2018, 10:15:27 PM »
Richard,

I haven't heard of the term as it might apply to WW1 operations. When we operated light helicopters with reconnaissance forces, the helicopters employed what they/we called "NOE:" "Nap Of the Earth" flying. They'd fly virtually at ground level, making use of trees, woods, buildings and whatever other cover might be available to them. They'd stop behind cover, pop up, have a quick look around, then down again and off to their next bound.

I think that you're right, or pretty close to being right, when you say, "I have always assumed it is a ground attack/suppression role. In fact it has to be, you don't carry all those stick grenades for any other reason." It's a good topic for discussion and research!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2018, 10:26:22 PM »
I have only come across it in 'Janes' (bottom of page 160 if you have a copy)

There are a lot of possibilities here. 'Jane's Fighting Aircraft of WWI' is a compilation of articles between 1914 and 1919, so the description may have fallen out of use during that time. It may have been in use then but not now. Finally it might be a translation of a German description, correctly or incorrectly translated

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2018, 12:12:57 AM »
Richard,
    You are most probably correct; contour "fighting" is probably a progression from the term contour "flying". The term "contour flying" is seen often in the literature of the period, by coincidence I''m presently reading Yeate's "Winged Victory' and he uses the term a lot.
   The discipline of Ground Attack Flying and Close Air Support is a very dangerous one, it has always been so and in my past experience we flew very low to minimize the threat from ground forces while optimizing the probability of a successful attack on the target(s). This included ingress and egress into and out of the battle area at very low level (200 feet above ground level) at high speed following the contours. Some delivery profiles were at 100 feet above ground. The development of "smart weapon" technology has changed a lot of that today. In 1918 the delivery of weapons onto ground forces was very basic, thus they did their work in close, very low, and with bullets and a lot of hand launched weapons such as the grenades we see in the photos. Brave men those, on both sides of the conflict!
   I wonder if the book referenced earlier, "Schlacht-Flieger", might shed further light on the topic? Bottom line though is I gotta get me one of these Halberstadts! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2018, 12:51:57 AM »
I am very happy with this great plane. I love the big opening in the fuselage, that gives a clear view into the cockpit. No need to talk about the endless colour schemes.  I am very happy that it isn't a brown or green plane. But I think the time for a Be.2C will come.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2018, 04:06:57 AM »
Richard,
    You are most probably correct; contour "fighting" is probably a progression from the term contour "flying". The term "contour flying" is seen often in the literature of the period, by coincidence I''m presently reading Yeate's "Winged Victory' and he uses the term a lot.
   The discipline of Ground Attack Flying and Close Air Support is a very dangerous one, it has always been so and in my past experience we flew very low to minimize the threat from ground forces while optimizing the probability of a successful attack on the target(s). This included ingress and egress into and out of the battle area at very low level (200 feet above ground level) at high speed following the contours. Some delivery profiles were at 100 feet above ground. The development of "smart weapon" technology has changed a lot of that today. In 1918 the delivery of weapons onto ground forces was very basic, thus they did their work in close, very low, and with bullets and a lot of hand launched weapons such as the grenades we see in the photos. Brave men those, on both sides of the conflict!
   I wonder if the book referenced earlier, "Schlacht-Flieger", might shed further light on the topic? Bottom line though is I gotta get me one of these Halberstadts! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

That's great, Lance, particularly 'contour flying'

You mentioning low flying reminds me of Clostermann in 'The Big Show' describing hedge hopping. That was really low

Richard

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2018, 05:54:46 AM »
Richard,
     Ahhh, "The Big Show", a real favorite of mine. I still have the copy I first read at 14 years old, it's in pretty sad shape but I treasure it.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2018, 06:49:01 AM »
Richard,
     Ahhh, "The Big Show", a real favorite of mine. I still have the copy I first read at 14 years old, it's in pretty sad shape but I treasure it.
Cheers,
Lance

The spine has gone on mine

Richard

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2018, 07:08:44 AM »
Richard,
Cheers,
Lance

I treasure my copy of Winged Victory (1934 1st Edition 2nd imprint) so much that I've locked it away in a grip seal bag in a dark corner of my bookcase. The book is dear to me  :)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2018, 07:56:20 AM »
Richard,
Cheers,
Lance

I treasure my copy of Winged Victory (1934 1st Edition 2nd imprint) so much that I've locked it away in a grip seal bag in a dark corner of my bookcase. The book is dear to me  :)

vB

That's no way to treat a book - take it out and read it!

Offline RLWP

• Bodger

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2018, 09:03:34 AM »
Yeah, Robert, after seeing that, maybe that is no way to treat THAT book....take it off the shelf a put it in a safe!!
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2018, 05:59:51 PM »
Yeah, Robert, after seeing that, maybe that is no way to treat THAT book....take it off the shelf a put it in a safe!!

No - sell it, buy a cheap reprint and some kits

Richard

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2018, 06:55:47 PM »
I have always loved that photo, it is in 'Janes' where the 'plane is described as equipped for contour fighting. I haven't been able to find out exactly what 'contour fighting' was
Richard

I'm not sure but it might mean "low level fighting" as when the aircraft are close to the ground and following the ground contours. "Contour lines" on a two-dimensional map show the shape or "contour" of the ground. Here's an example:

Hope this helps!   8)

[/quote]

Ground Attack - that would seem to fit the bill.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 07:00:04 PM by sandbagger »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2018, 10:21:20 PM »
   I've enjoyed the comments on "Winged Victory", it's a book I've meant to get around to for a long while. I finally ordered a copy on-line around Christmas and it apparently disappeared into the ether of the international postal system. The UK Bookseller graciously mailed off a second one and I received it last week, I'm now half way through it and it's a real classic, wish I'd read it years ago!
   I have several treasured books like von Buckle, and understand his safe guarding measures. In a very untypical stroke of sheer luck I bought a used First Edition "Heroes of the Sunlit Sky" by Arch Whitehouse years ago for a mere $12 and later discovered it was a numbered (136 of 250) copy with an inscription by one of the subjects, Camel 22 Victory Canadian Ace Sir William Stephenson ....... better known as "A Man Called Intrepid"! Hard to beat that in the bargain department!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2018, 04:25:23 AM »
Richard,
Cheers,
Lance

vB

That's no way to treat a book - take it out and read it!

I do, but in Kindle form.  :o :)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith