Author Topic: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!  (Read 38694 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2021, 01:47:21 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement Stephen, I'm slowly getting over my sheer terror of making an utter mess. In fact I've come to the conclusion that this is much less intimidating than building a WNW kit because the materials are cheap and easily replaced.

Richard, totally agreed, I'm enjoying learning about this era of aviation as well as the scratch building techniques you lot use to build some of the more unusual aircraft.

Well, thanks to the advice from you amazing people I ploughed on and finished the instrument panel. I'm actually quite pleased with the results of my first attempt, it was great fun too.

What looks a bit like a bug splat to the bottom left of the panel is my attempt at a pulsometer. Again great fun and good enough for me, thankfully in the scout I am building the pulsometer was moved from the instrument panel to the cockpit frame.

Scratched Scout IP and Pulsometer by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Many thanks for all the advice and encouragement everybody, I'll keep muddling on and see if can get the wings skinned and the cockpit details finished this week. No deadlines though, that way lies madness!   :)

Cheers
Richie

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2021, 02:03:19 AM »
I would counsel you to keep moving ahead.  You're doing fine.  There will be opportunities in the future to refine your techniques.  If you make a mess, just hide it!  ;D

Offline RichieW

« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2021, 02:09:56 AM »
HAHA, thanks Ken,  'muddle on' is my new scratchbuilding motto! I'm having fun and even if I end up hiding the whole model I don't mind! ;)

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2021, 03:06:42 AM »
Yep, keep on muddlign...

And bear in mind, cockpits -  and in particular instrument panels - are quite hard to see on biplanes

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2021, 11:46:19 PM »
Looking good to MY Eyes Richie. Especially considering how much larger that photo is than the actual item. Once inside the pit and all closed up it will look excellent!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2021, 01:26:43 AM »
Haha, thanks Rick. You know, in a certain sort of light if I take my glasses off it looks pretty good to me too! ;)

Offline RichieW

« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2021, 12:55:17 AM »
Little update, the wings are skinned at last! I have a lot of tidying to do but the step I was dreading is done. I was unable to skin the full length due to contours of the wing tips. The top wings have had milliput extensions added and been roughed into shape. A lot of work to do but I think I can make it work well enough. I missed a 'half rib' on one of the wings. Not going to attempt to fix it though.

I also whittled a rudder control bar (?) out of plastic sheet, it will probably never be seen again once installed so definitely good enough!

A pump was made out of brass tube and a pin with the pin head filed down to make the handle, again it won't be seen again once installed but it was fun to make. I'm slowly learning to just crack on and not be too hard on myself and am having fun again at the bench :)

Wing Skinning, by Richard Williams, on Flickr

pump, by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I have been orderd into to garden to do manual labour for the rest of the afternoon so fixing up the wings will have to wait for another day.

Still muddling on
Richie

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2021, 01:07:53 AM »
Your wings are moving forward really nice Rickie , looking forward on seeing them with their final shape . Rudder bar turn out excellent as well as your pump , in all nice job on the details  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Monty

« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2021, 02:33:24 AM »
This is looking really great, Rickie, with lots of useful tips and advice! I'm watching and learning... Regards, Marc

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2021, 04:24:14 AM »
Those parts look very good from where I am sitting. What is the fuss about? Remember that most of the cockpit parts will rarely be seen and a missing rib will certainly not be noticed. What is most important is that you are enjoying what you are doing - that is what the hobby is about. Keep going and do not look back.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2021, 04:45:38 AM »
Your wings are moving forward really nice Rickie , looking forward on seeing them with their final shape . Rudder bar turn out excellent as well as your pump , in all nice job on the details  :)

Alexis

Thanks so much Alexis, there's an awful lot of filling and sanding my future but I hope to have the wings ready for some paint in a week or so.

This is looking really great, Rickie, with lots of useful tips and advice! I'm watching and learning... Regards, Marc

Cheers Monty, it's slow going for me while I experiment and practice techniques but I'm getting a lot of guidance and encouragement from the great folks of the forum. Without them I would have thrown this in bin a long time ago!

Those parts look very good from where I am sitting. What is the fuss about? Remember that most of the cockpit parts will rarely be seen and a missing rib will certainly not be noticed. What is most important is that you are enjoying what you are doing - that is what the hobby is about. Keep going and do not look back.

Stephen.

Thanks again Stephen, yes I'm definitely having fun with the hobby and determined to get the model finished.

A little update, the instrument panel and pump are installed and I made some control levers and accompanying frame out of some not very nice photo etched brass turnbuckles and brass tube. I knew thos ghastly turnbuclkes would be useful one day!

20210419_190321 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Here is the cockpit so far with this part just sitting there for now, I will glue it in place later so it doesn't get in the way while I install the other bits I need to make.

Cockpit details by Richard Williams, on Flickr

It's not a lot to show for 3 hours work but there was much head scratching and pondering involved.

Thanks for reading

Richie

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2021, 09:46:25 PM »
The details look good sitting place Richie , really good !

Yes , you will spend more time planning out how to make parts and the next stage of the build . This will improve as you continue and with future builds . What also might help is having a checklist set to different stages . Once you pass a stage ...reward yourself ! It's a great confidence booster  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2021, 04:54:30 AM »
I second what Alexis has written. A checklist also helps to make sure that you do not forget anything too. I call it writing the instructions!

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2021, 05:12:57 AM »
Many thanks Stephen and Alexis. I really see the value of making notes and planning now. The next item needs to be very precise due to the need for it to fit within a blister under the fuselage. I have been staring at this photo for hours trying to work out how to make it, I have even started drawing diagrams and making notes as suggested. :)

bristol-scout-rock-tube by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I have some ideas but need to wait for a few supplies to arrive from Wonderland Models. Until then it's the never ending cycle of fill, sand, prime, check repeat. Hope to have a more substantial update in a week or so.

Thanks for all the sage advice and encouragement.

Richie

Bughunter

« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2021, 07:01:06 AM »
Lovely pictures, of real and model!

I have been orderd into to garden to do manual labour for the rest of the afternoon
That is clearly the disadvantage of spring (for the modeling community) ;D

Cheers,
Frank