Author Topic: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!  (Read 39122 times)

Bughunter

Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt
« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2021, 09:14:44 PM »
Wow, that aluminium fairing looks like the real thing!
That is pure fun to create such details, isn't it?

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2021, 09:40:47 PM »
For me, creating the little details can be tedious, but when I put them together, they are always more than the sum of the parts.  It's a very gratifying feeling to see it put together.

Those rivets are really small to be made with a punch, but that punch set is a basic tool you will get some use out of.

These details you've created are excellent.  Good job, Richie.  Looking forward to seeing more progress, but work at your own pace - there's no deadline to meet.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2021, 04:07:44 AM »
Very impressive work on the fairing and all of the other details Richie! One can see your improvement with each update! Perhaps someday I will give a scratch build a go!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2021, 12:37:30 AM »
Wow, that aluminium fairing looks like the real thing!
That is pure fun to create such details, isn't it?

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks Frank, yes it's brilliant fun adding details. I can see why you push yourself to produce microscopic details in 1/48. I'm not yet a fully signed up mad man but I can I think I on that road for sure! ;)

For me, creating the little details can be tedious, but when I put them together, they are always more than the sum of the parts.  It's a very gratifying feeling to see it put together.

Those rivets are really small to be made with a punch, but that punch set is a basic tool you will get some use out of.

These details you've created are excellent.  Good job, Richie.  Looking forward to seeing more progress, but work at your own pace - there's no deadline to meet.

Thanks Ken, you are a great inspiration and source of encouragement. I don't mind the painstaking process of detailing, I find I am much more relaxed in life as a result of focusing on them. Life's problems are quickly forgotten once I start fussing over a project. :)

Very impressive work on the fairing and all of the other details Richie! One can see your improvement with each update! Perhaps someday I will give a scratch build a go!
RAGIII

Thanks as ever Rick, I'm getting a little more confident with each task completed. Definitely have a go at scratch building, you've already carved struts and made many improvements to kits, you're half way there already. It's a lot of fun!

I suddenly remembered I had bought a tool for making tiny rivets and open hex nuts before I went on a break from modelling. The 0.25mm rivets are the perfect size but are difficult to distinguish from dust particles.

Small Shop Nutter and riveter by Richard Williams, on Flickr

It works well but I don't think it is worth the money, a short length of 0.3mm brass rod in a pin vice, a piece of foil from a wine bottle and bicycle inner tube to put the foil on while you punch away would probably work just as well.

20210430_204533 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I did my best to line things up but these little rivets are hard to see! I am much more pleased with the results. I pick them up with a cocktail stick and dot them onto a blob of Klear, it didn't take as long as I thought but as Ken said, there are no deadlines to work to.

Cockpit details were added:

20210501_150434 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

There I had to stop to make seat belts. I decided to depart from the aircraft I am modelling which has modern belts to comply with safety regulations and make old fashioned lap belts.

I tried to scratch one from wine bottle foil, stretched sprue for the lip round the leather and some holes stabbed with a pin and sprayed with primer. The result was kind of OK but crude. I then had a bit of brain wave. The wine bottle foil takes embossing really well, I raided my stash for a WNW RFC lap belt and used it to emboss the foil. This was then cut glued to the lead foil from the Small Shop Nutter tool and cut out. I've never said this about my endeavours before but...TOTAL SUCCESS!

20210501_145242 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I used E6000 glue to glue the foils together as it is flexible, hopefully this well allow me to bend the belts easily into shape once dry.

Muddling along still, thanks for watching
Richie

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2021, 05:12:29 PM »
My notify button had somehow flipped, so I missed a lot of this build until now.

I think you are doing a beautiful job Ritchie, and I've taken lot of notes since I will no doubt face the same challenges you encountered.

Great progress and really inspiring work!

Willem

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2021, 09:47:03 PM »
See what happens when you cut up a few bits and bobs and toss in glue and paint , excellent job on the details Richie  She is really coming together within the pit  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2021, 12:37:41 AM »
The belts look amazing Richie! The interior also looks great in place in the fuselage. I am very impressed!
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2021, 03:08:47 AM »
Super lap belt and much better than my previous efforts. I will have to try your method next time.

The cockpit framing and interior kook super - such a shame to cover it all up later...!

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2021, 04:31:08 AM »
My notify button had somehow flipped, so I missed a lot of this build until now.

I think you are doing a beautiful job Ritchie, and I've taken lot of notes since I will no doubt face the same challenges you encountered.

Great progress and really inspiring work!

Willem

Thanks Willem, this scratch building thing is certainly a bit of an adventure. Albeit, a very slow paced one. I'm sure we'll both get there in the end!

See what happens when you cut up a few bits and bobs and toss in glue and paint , excellent job on the details Richie  She is really coming together within the pit  :)

Alexis

Thanks Alexis, yes definitely just a few bits and bobs with a cut here and there and some glue and things start coming together. Especially with a bit of note taking and planning first! :)

The belts look amazing Richie! The interior also looks great in place in the fuselage. I am very impressed!
RAGIII

Thanks Rick, doing the belts this way made me feel like a naughty school boy who'd written the answers on his hands before a test. Such an easy work round!

Super lap belt and much better than my previous efforts. I will have to try your method next time.

The cockpit framing and interior kook super - such a shame to cover it all up later...!

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen, I definitely recommend my slightly cheaty way of making belts, it's so quick and easy. I'm slowly leaning towards the idea of a partial strip down. If I can do a good job of rigging the frame I may well do so.

Lots of time spent at the bench over the weekend and so little to show for it. I got the belts painted added to the wicker seat (Barracuda) and put into the cockpit frame. Getting the control wires threaded through the little box I mounted the seat on was a real pain and took a few hours.

20210502_152036 by Richard Williams, on Flickrc

20210502_151953 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I have to add ties to the belts if I do a strip down, that promises to be so much fun!

_V5A6860 (2) by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The Scout cowling has 6 intricate little fasteners. I tried to make them on my cutter out of masking film but this did not go well. In the end I used part of an Eduard photo etch fret which was about the right width. I rounded the end with a file and measured, cut and repeated. Things then got a little silly, I decided to add the rivets. The third from the front sits on a larger disc. I spent all afternoon, squinting and fiddling around but they are pretty much in the right place. I need to get some super thin CA glue tomorrow to reinforce the Klear that is holding them in place  or they may just get rubbed off when I position them on the cowling.

Scout Cowling fasteners by Richard Williams, on Flickr

That's all for now, the wings are still getting worked on but they are still nowhere near ready for paint.

Thanks for reading.

Richie

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 04:42:39 AM by RichieW »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2021, 04:17:25 AM »
That really is super fine detail at the Bughunter level.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2021, 06:23:21 AM »

Stephen.

Yep, you are approaching a level I dream of with detailing!
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2021, 07:06:49 AM »

Stephen.

Yep, you are approaching a level I dream of with detailing!
RAGIII

Thanks so much, there is however only one Bughunter!
Rick, I never intended this to get so involved but I have found that the bug (Frank reference intended :) ) just takes over! Unfortunately a couple of the fasteners got stuck to my cutting mat with Klear and pinged off when I lifted them with my scalpel blade. Some you win, some you lose!

More muddling on soon, I've been playing with aluminium for the metal panels but have much fettling to do before I have anything to show.

Richie

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2021, 09:33:48 PM »
I don't know how many times I lose small details and have to remake them . and as I get older ...or in my case younger  ;) I seem to be doing this more .

When making parts on some of them I will make 3 of them and choose the best one and scrap the others . Smaller details such as cowl fasteners I make a few extras in case they going PIN out of the tweezers into the great blue yonder with colourful language tossed in . 

Your details are looking fantastic Richie and it's great to read you are really enjoying yourself with this project .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #163 on: May 06, 2021, 05:04:39 AM »
If you make a series of small parts do more then needed, so if the carpet monster eat some you don't need to do the same again (which is then also harder to get identical ones with another run).

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RichieW

« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2021, 04:02:52 AM »
Very good advice Frank and Alexis, I haven't had any time for a few days but tomorrow I will make a new batch of fasteners and get them attached to the cowling before I can lose them. Hoping to get the cockpit coming and metal panels added to  the nose. It will be difficult but I have a plan. ;)

Richie