Author Topic: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!  (Read 39129 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2021, 11:13:25 AM »
Lovely pictures, of real and model!

I have been orderd into to garden to do manual labour for the rest of the afternoon
That is clearly the disadvantage of spring (for the modeling community) ;D

Cheers,
Frank

Yes , yes it is  :o

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RichieW

« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2021, 09:42:59 PM »
Lovely pictures, of real and model!

I have been orderd into to garden to do manual labour for the rest of the afternoon
That is clearly the disadvantage of spring (for the modeling community) ;D

Cheers,
Frank

I shouldn't grumble, it sounds like your version of gardening is more like forestry management Alexis! ;)

Yes , yes it is  :o

Alexis

Offline RichieW

« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2021, 07:45:40 AM »
Well the gardening is done so I had a few hours to kill today, quite a lot of time in fact. So much that I got involved with the kind of tiny little details I swore never to bother with!

I made the mount for the rock tube, a very simple little part but it took a good hour or more. The bolt heads are 0.5mm discs punched out of litho aluminium. I can barely see them without my optiivisor and I have a feeling I will never see them again once the cockpit is skinned, it was fun though! It's just sitting on the brass rod here so I don't lose it.

Scout Rock Tube by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I also made a start on the control stick and control horns. This was very time consuming and is still not finished. The hex bolts are punched out of styrene as is the 2mm disc onto which the tube will be fixed. The control horns were filed into shape out of litho aluminium after the 0.5mm holes were punched (thanks for the tip Lance and Richard). The control stick is just brass tube with a wash of Model Colour smoke. In the aircraft I am modelling the control stick is the original from the favourite wartime mount of the owner's Grandfather.

Scout control column by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Scout Control stick and rock tube by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Big thanks to Alexis and Stephen for suggesting I write notes and plans, It was a big help here!

Thanks for reading

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2021, 08:02:15 AM »
Fantastic work Richie! Those parts really look Great!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:05:47 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2021, 08:05:19 AM »
Nice job with building up the control column Richie  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2021, 03:42:50 AM »
Those parts are very much smaller than suggested by the photos, so you are doing a great job with them

Rather than hiding them away forever so that neither you or anyone else can appreciate you craftsmanship, why do you not leave a side panel by the cockpit open so that the interior can be seen properly? That is why my 1/32 scale builds were partially or wholly open.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2021, 04:30:33 AM »
YES! Now Richie is clearly infected, with AMS! No way out ;D ;D

The bolt heads are 0.5mm discs punched out of litho aluminium.
What is the thickness of this? Sounds like a very interesting material. Need to look out for it ...

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RichieW

« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2021, 05:41:56 AM »
Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement Rick, Alexis, Stephen and Frank. You have no idea how much it means to me coming from such brilliant modellers.

Frank, I measured the thickness with my digital caliper and it seems to be 0.15mm. Very good for 1/48 scale I'm thinking!

I'm loving working on these little details, the sanding and filling on the wings not so much. I'm contemplating a skeletal build next to avoid these problems but that's a long way off.

Stephen, that is a fantastic idea. I'll see how I get on with the few remaining components before deciding. It may mean a few more details being added than I originally planned but I am having so much fun that might not be a problem.

I hope to have the interior finished in the next few days so will update then.

Many thanks again for your kind words.

Richie :)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2021, 02:23:46 AM »
Very nice detail work, Ritchie.  The shapes of the connecting parts are very good.
I find making sketches of some parts is a crucial part of scratchbuilding, and planning ahead - well, you simply can't avoid that.
Continuing to follow along.  You've chosen a good subject here.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2021, 02:58:39 AM »
Thanks Ken, it's to have such a great team in my corner.  :)

Offline RichieW

« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2021, 08:00:52 AM »
Just a small step forward, but again a lot of time was spent head scratching and chin rubbing.

The blister below the cockpit houses the rock tube and has a cut out for the control horns attached to the stick, not a great description so here is a photograph;

_V5A6866 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I intended to vac form this and made a plug out of a bamboo kebab skewer but my first attempt was appalling ,you can see the resulting shrapnel in the next photo. In my desperation to conserve my styrene supplies I annealed a thin sheet of aluminium and slowly molded it over the blank. A lot of filing later it looked pretty good and I was even able to make the cut out with a scalpel. It will need trimming and buffing and I may use my rivet wheel to simulate the rivets.

Scout bits an' bobs by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The wicker seat is from Barracuda, I made a seat cushion from Milliput and used fishing line to make the piping around the edges. The paint is still wet here but I was feeling quite chuffed so took a picture.

Good night all, it's time for bed here.

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2021, 08:57:04 AM »
Both the aluminium rock tube and seat look super. You really must leave part of the cockpit side open so that these details can be seen - it would be a waste to conceal them.

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2021, 09:30:48 AM »
Really nice work on the control column flaring Richie .  :) Fantastic job as well on the seat and cushion , going to look sharp  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline DaveB

« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2021, 01:42:43 AM »
Wow!

Amazing work so far, Richie -

Can't believe this is your first attempt at stratch building ..........

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2021, 03:26:59 AM »
Thanks so much as always for your encouragement, I would have given up a long time ago without it!

Dave, have a go a scratch building something too. I found it utterly terrifying until I realised that the raw materials are so cheap compared to a kit that making a mess isn't such a big deal. There is so much support and knowledge on offer from forum members, help is always at hand.

Another little step forward, I trimmed and buffed the aluminium fairing as much as possible, a couple of small splits were filled with talc mixed with superglue. I added added some punched 0.5mm rivets, they're a tad too big but will do, Klear was used to hold them in place.

The footboards have a raised lip, I was so worried about how to make them until I found that Evergreen make a 3.2mm wide styrene channel which is the perfect size. Bit of Tamiya flat aluminium lacquer and some more gargantuan punched rivets and they're done.

My whittled rudder bar was whittled a little further and 'painted' with and artists felt pen. Control lines are Daiwa fishing line (allegedly silver) and turnbuckles are just brass tube.

Fairing riveted, foot boards done, rudder bar painted and rigged. by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Stephen, I hope to finish the internal details in the next day or so and will decide whether or not a partial strip down can work. There may need to be a lot of hidden ugliness in order to mount the wings. ;)

Many thanks for reading
Richie