Author Topic: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!  (Read 39133 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2021, 11:44:50 AM »
Hi Richie

Its great to see you back with this amazing project. The Bristol Scout is one of my favourite WW1 aircraft and I greatly admire anyone who can create one as a scratch build. I am wholly dependent on model kit manufacturers and made a Scout in 1/48th but would love to do it in a larger scale.

Your build is coming along very nicely and it's great to see your progress. Many thanks for sharing it with us.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2021, 08:35:12 PM »
Hey Richie ,

It is nice to see this back on your bench with new progress ! Wings are really looking the part so far , excellent job  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2021, 10:56:25 PM »
Outstanding progress Richie! The wings are looking great and I look forward to seeing them skinned! By the way, Thanks for scratch Building this one and setting things in Motion for the Modeling Gods to bring out a Kit  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2021, 03:33:25 AM »
Thanks so much Dave, Alexis and Rick. It's great to be back at the bench. I'm going to redo the instrument panel, all that drilling holes and feeding rods and tubes through seemed like such a good idea until my drill bit slipped today. I completely forgot I had a punch and die set  I could make the instruments with! Ho hum, live and learn!

Going to do the wings next before remaking the instrument panel but won't have much time until the weekend. Catch you later.

Richie

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2021, 04:28:49 AM »
Thanks so much Dave, Alexis and Rick. It's great to be back at the bench. I'm going to redo the instrument panel, all that drilling holes and feeding rods and tubes through seemed like such a good idea until my drill bit slipped today. I completely forgot I had a punch and die set  I could make the instruments with! Ho hum, live and learn!

Going to do the wings next before remaking the instrument panel but won't have much time until the weekend. Catch you later.

Richie

A word of advice, which you are welcome to ignore if it suits you. I wouldn't remake the instrument panel - it's good enough for the job.

I decided with my first scratchbuild (The Morane Saulnier) that is unlikely to be perfect, so I'd just accept minor problems along the way, and get it finished. Then I could build my next one, which was likely to be better and still have mistakes - and so on

It's unlikely you'll produce a WNW quality model on your first attempt - however you will have something unique when it is finished

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2021, 04:39:01 AM »
Many thanks Richard, that sounds like very fine advice and I will gladly follow it. You are completely right of course, I only intended to have a bash at scratch building and must accept that it's going to be a bit rough round the edges!

Thanks again, you have saved me from myself!  :)

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2021, 05:04:19 AM »
I completely agree with Richard - don't remake the instrument panel or you will never finish the build! Remember that most people will not see the mistakes because they will not look that closely at the build. I can see all of the mistakes on my scratch builds - fortunately few others do! Just accept the limitations of your time and skill and remember that most modellers will be in awe of you for having even attempted a scratch build in the first place! Never mind that it is a biplane..!

Keep going and best of luck with the wings.

Stephen

Offline RichieW

« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2021, 05:19:25 AM »
Thanks Stephen, yes just crack on, have fun and learn from the inevitable bad decisions and blunders! As always your wisdom is greatly appreciated. I must get this finished before Copper State release their 1/32 kit! :)

Bughunter

« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2021, 06:00:51 AM »
Richie, nice work and good and wise advices here!

Next up the vertical tube (again no idea!) I just used brass rod and white paint.
I think this looks like the fuel gauge.
The fuel tank is located behind the board, so it shows the fill level if connected. I like those solutions - simple and robust.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RichieW

« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2021, 06:28:14 AM »
As, fuel gauge, thanks Frankton! That makes sense.

Haha, my solutions have to be simple due a total lack of knowledge, experience and very little skill. I shall muddle through and get it done.

Cheers
Richie

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2021, 11:44:18 PM »
Hi Richie ,

I agree with the others as well , no need to redo the panel . For your first scratch build you doing really well with this project . Take your time and don't worry if some of the parts aren't perfect , your skills will improve as you keep going forward  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RichieW

« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2021, 12:53:37 AM »
Thanks Alexis, it's great to have so many awesome modellers on board to offer such good advice. No bench time today but tomorrow I should finish the instrument panel and Saturday is wing skinning day. Hope to have an update for you over the weekend.

Richie

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2021, 04:28:46 AM »
Like the above , keep gpoing !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2021, 04:46:31 AM »

Haha, my solutions have to be simple due a total lack of knowledge, experience and very little skill. I shall muddle through and get it done.

Cheers
Richie

Richie,

You have demonstrated already that you have a lot of skill - you must have or you would not be tackling a complex scratch build like this. Muddling through is what most scratch builders do - so that too is not a disadvantage. Remember that we are our own worst critics (that applies to all modellers BTW), just crack on, look past the mistakes and think that each error is a learning opportunity. Perfect models do not exist in this world.

Stephen.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2021, 05:16:50 AM »
I have found modelling to be an excellent way to get to learn about a subject

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!