Author Topic: 1/32 Handley Page V/1500 scratch build (slowgress report)  (Read 29579 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Handley Page V/1500 scratch build (slowgress report)
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2020, 10:29:15 PM »
I'm glad to see you are making progress and haven't gotten discouraged.  Every scratchbuilder must develop methods that work for him.  The Fokker was my first scratchbuild and a great learning opportunity.  Like you said, one has to earn their successes.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2020, 04:24:10 AM »
That looks very good for a first try. You can only get better with each new effort - so keep going. I agree with Ron about balsa for the wings - something more robust would be better simply because of the size and weight problem.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 08:58:49 PM by lone modeller »

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2020, 04:40:59 AM »
Hi Ron,

Thanks for your advise. Today I did some trials. I took a piece of 0.5 mm Evergreen and scored the ribs. Looks good. I also scored this lengthwise and folded it like you said. No need to glue on a separate leading edge. Looks good too. Thanks for your offer to cast part. I will PM you about that.

So, no pics of finished tailplane parts, but I learned a lot today. Again.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2020, 05:51:55 AM »
And thank you Ken and Stephen for your kind words.

Inventing your own methods is a fun proces.

I was a little distracted today by an unbelievably beautiful book that arrived yesterday: "French Aircraft of the First World War" by Davilla and Soltan. Great reading and reference. Tons of drawings and that's what it weighs too.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2020, 04:56:35 PM »
Just noticed: it's a really ambitious project, the subject is really worth as it's a magnificent early heavy bomber. I will follow, best wishes for your build!
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2020, 01:07:18 AM »
I did some work on the elevators. On Ron's advice I scribed the ribs and made desperate wingtips. Still needs a little work, but I'm happy with the result so far.

Also I am experimenting a little with the struts of pine and beach:

I am thinking about making a steel scraper with half the form of the strut and a jig to hold the wood steady.

I've read some things about using bamboo for the struts. I will give that a try too.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 01:38:26 AM by Rookie »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2020, 03:20:24 AM »
The idea of making a custom cutter is a good idea - it will give you more consistent results and be much quicker. The wings look very good - certainly a project for which you have my greatest respect.

Stephen.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2020, 11:50:38 PM »
Thanks Stephen for the kind words.

This is the harvest from the RAF Museum. A few days before the lockdown, I made a couple of hundred photographsa of the hp V/1500 drawings. Lots to learn.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2020, 01:04:08 AM »
The new process looks to be working well! I am looking forward to more!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2020, 02:13:37 AM »
Very happy to see this progressing. Looks like you had a very worthwhile visit to the RAF museum. Still following with great interest!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2020, 02:20:33 AM »
That is an amazing amount of information that you collected. I must consider them as a possible source in future. I was fortunate enough to be directed to a source of drawings on the net which I did not know existed but it is possible that similar drawings may be in the museum archives too.

Stephen.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2020, 05:20:57 PM »
Thanks guys,

@ Stephen:

What source of drawings on the net are you referring to?

The staff of the RAF Museum were incredibly kind and helpful. The archive is enormous and although much of the material has not been digitized, it seems the staf know exactly what they have and where it is.

They can be reached at this adress: [email protected]

Willem
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 05:32:52 PM by Rookie »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2020, 02:19:43 AM »
Sorry Willem I was not clear! I was referring to my current build - the DH 1A. I am not sure whether the museum would have drawings for that but it might be worth having a try. Thanks for the link - I intend to follow that up.

Stephen.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2020, 09:57:03 PM »
I did some work on the elevators. They are a little crude and the areas that need more attention are marked with red pencil. I hope to work on that today. When they are ready I will start with the three planes.

Although one normally wouldn't start with the tailplane, I think it was a sensible decision. This way I can gain experience for the enormous wings. I ordered sheets of 1400 x 1000 x 0,5 mm styrene because this is what I will use the most. These big sheets are ideal because the span of the model is 120 cm and the 4 wings have a length of 57 cm (without the central part). I really have to think ahead how to handle this.

I have enough material to experiment with. As advised the core will not be of balsa. I have some different sorts of wood. It will have to be light, stiff and easy to shape. Maybe I can reinforce it with fiberglass rods or aluminium u-profile. Or maybe a brass support frame including incidence and dihedral. If I do that for both the upper and lower wing, the cabane struts will have to be reinforced too because of the added weight. (Solid lines would be brass.)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 11:19:19 PM by Rookie »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2020, 06:49:24 AM »
You are moving steadily forward, always a good thing! Looking forward to more!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler