Author Topic: 1/32 Handley Page V/1500 scratch build (slowgress report)  (Read 30787 times)

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
Re: 1/32 Handley Page V/1500 scratch build (slowgress report)
« Reply #240 on: January 20, 2024, 08:37:19 PM »
The cockpit – Engine controls.

"On the starboard wall of the cockpit was a group of eight levers on a common vertical axis. The upper four were the mixture controls, and the lower four were on-off controls for the petrol supply to the engines." (J.M. Bruce)

"Also on the starboard wall were two pairs of throttle levers, for forward and aft. engines, arranged, as in the 0/400, to control port and starboard engines differentially by rotating the knobs." (C.H. Barnes)

This part of the cockpit I have been putting off because it is what I dread the most.

Luckily, I have the instructions of WNW’s (never released) HP O/100 to give me an idea of the size, relative to the cockpit/fuselage frame:

There are also two detailed drawings in the Handley Page O/400 Spare Parts Manual:

This is a photograph of the crushed cockpit of the Handley Page V/1500, F7140, Atlantic, after it crashed on 5 July 1919 at at Parrsboro’, Nova Scotia in Canada:

And then there is this photograph from C.H. Barnes’s “Handley Page Aircraft Since 1907”:

Work on it will start this weekend, so please be patient.

Cheers,
Willem