Author Topic: 1/72 Short S 38 on HMS Africa and HMS Hibernia 1912  (Read 3133 times)

Offline IanB

Re: 1/72 Short S 38 on HMS Africa and HMS Hibernia 1912
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2024, 04:05:46 AM »
Well that was an interesting "catchup"!
Lovely work, as usual, but be careful, you don't want to get too involved in these floaty things!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2024, 07:43:33 AM »
Evening All

Thanks to all of you for those very kind comments which I really appreciate.

Zac: I try to explain each stage in my builds as I am aware that scratch building can seem to many to be a black art - it certainly was to me before I started. In reality it is not as difficult as many think (and as I most certainly did). The most difficult part is writing the instructions: they have to be sequenced in the correct order or things can go pear shaped, so some long walks or time spent in the bath, (or if you have a shower in your bathroom, try the seat in the same room!) are in order. The other important step is to overcome your fear of not being able to make something - it is amazing what can be done if a little time and effort is taken.

Joachim: many thanks for your suggestion concerning the undercarriage legs: it is so obvious when you see it! I have another project in mind where that idea could be very useful.

Ian: I certainly do not want to get too involved in floaty things but I am having to get to grips with this part of the ship in order to represent a landmark in aviation history

I have been studying the many photographs that were taken in early May 1912 on and of HMS Hibernia to try to get to grips with the details of the deck and fittings. In one of the photos and on the scale drawings there are some oblongs in front of the turre, and I could not work out what they were. A friend helped me to solve the problem when he showed me a photograph of another pre-WW1 battleship foredeck: they were ventilator openings to the focsle (crew quarters) in the front end of the ship. Having solved that problem I felt able to proceed with the basic deck/barbette assembly.

I covered the edges of the pieces of wood which will represent the ship sides with thin plastic sheet and painted them Tamiya Dark Sea Grey as I have been advised that this is probably close to the grey of RN ships of that era: these were glued to the base. I glued strips of 20 x 30 Evergreen strip to to represent the metal step on the edges of the deck and painted these and the wood grey as above:

I decided that the basswood needed more support underneath, so before I attached the decking I reinforced the base with some more support:

When the deck pieces were well set I added the barbette, which had also been painted, and the breakwater in front of the barbette. The latter was cut form 15 thou card with holes drilled as observed on a photograph, and the bracing pieces also as observed on a photograph and ship plans. The vents for the crew quarters were also made from 15 thou card and painted grey, except the bottoms which are black as I have no intention of trying to replicate the internals of the ship! The covers will be added later in the open position.

The next part will be to add the deck planking and start on the bridge which will form the rear of the model and support for the rear of the launch ramp.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2024, 07:17:26 PM »
EXcellent work. This is going to be a really interesting piece when it's done, and all credit to you for going above and beyond with the scratchbuilding.

Offline IanB

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2024, 01:03:03 AM »
The deck's coming along very nicely!

Ian

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2024, 02:00:49 AM »
Incredible work Stephen!

I am following your build with great interest and my notebook at the ready...

Learning all the time!

Cheers,

Willem

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2024, 08:52:24 AM »
Stephen, I've long admired your scratchbuilding and modelling skills (and your writing - your difficulty in getting the info down does not come across) but this is on a whole new level. Wow.
Zac in NZ

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2024, 09:42:06 AM »
Evening All,

Many thanks indeed to all who left such positive comments at the end of my last post: I have been seriously distracted in the last month and have not had a great deal of time either to comment or to do a great deal on the current project. Added to which what I have done has been time consuming and laborious, so what follows is not a great deal but did take a lot of time and effort, both of which have been in short supply of late.

I used 1/16 x 1/16 inch (2mm x 2mm) pine strip to make the deck planking. For those who like me know little or nothing about the construction of armoured warships, the decks were covered in wood: teak in the case of British warships. This was because these ships operated in oceans and seas around the world, which meant that in the tropics and sub-tropical waters a bare steel deck would become so hot during the day that sailors would not be able to walk on it. In addition the crew quarters below the decks would have been unbearably hot. In Arctic and Southern Ocean waters in winter, ice would rapidly build up on the very cold bare steel decks and rapidly make the ship top heavy and unstable. Wood acts as an insulator and thus helps to keep the ship cool in the tropics and slows the build-up of ice on the ship in high latitude seas and oceans.

After that lesson in marine construction I glued the strips of pine to the lime base, starting at the front centre and working outwards:

After several sessions and what seemed at the time like an eternity I had managed to cover the whole of the deck area:

Making the strip fit the different curves of the barbette, edge of the deck and fill the gaps between the ventilation hatches involved another steep learning curve for me.

The decks of those old warships were teak as stated above, but the wood rapidly discoloured in the salt air and under the influence of the sun. In addition sailors were expected to scrub the decks with honeystone, an abrasive stone which was supposed to make the decks white: an affectation of senior naval officers, some of whom seemed to think that they were still living in the age of sail. Indeed it could be said that if the Royal Navy prior to 1914 had spent more time practising gunnery and other military activity than burnishing the brass and decks of the warships, they may have been more effective, even successful, when they finally engaged the enemy. However that may have been, the decks of warships were not the colour of pine strip, so I had to find a way of representing discoloured teak. Colour photographs of modern preserved battleship wood decks show that they are a dull grey.

I stained the pine with a dark red wood stain (Peruvian mahogony), to try to represent the teak deck when new:

In the process I managed to remove several areas of the acryllic grey on the barbette and ventilation covers, so these will need to be repainted later. When the woodstain was dry I used a wash of Revell Hellgrau(76) mixed with white: I applied many coats of this until I had something close to the grey in my reference photographs:

The slightly uneven colours are what I wanted to achieve: the deck areas of these ships was huge and the variation in colour on the originals was considerable. Now all I have to do is to repaint the barbette and ventilation covers before I attach the turret and guns and start to make the bridge structure which will form the rear of the display.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2024, 07:26:37 PM »
That looks very effective, and very time-consuming. Well done for putting in all that effort, I think it's going to be worth it.

Offline IanB

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2024, 02:27:02 AM »
Well worth the time and effort, I'd say!

Ian

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2024, 10:03:55 PM »
Oh, what a nice surprise to come back to. Lovely work on the ship! Maybe it is too late, but did you plan to make the nibbling in the bow? It is relatively easy to do and looks impressive (ie the impression/work ratio is high)?

Offline DaveB

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2024, 03:33:37 AM »
Lovely progress, Steve -

I really love your your weathered wooden decking effect - very well done indeed, mate.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2024, 10:49:18 AM »
Bravo Steve, it just keeps getting better!
Zac in NZ

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2024, 04:46:07 PM »
Beautiful work on the deck Stephen. I'd often wondered about the wooden decks and was interested to read your explanation (Makes perfect sense when you describe it)

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2024, 07:57:12 AM »
Incredible work Stephen!  Thank you for the quick tutorial on the wooden decking on ships. Very informative.  Looking forward to the next post. 

Tim

Offline FAf

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2024, 10:22:48 PM »
Great work as always! I suppose that many of us have had, or has, the same idea of building a gun turret base for a model... most of us don''t realise the idea though, so thank you for doing it for the rest of us. :)
/F