Author Topic: 1/32 Handley Page V/1500 scratch build (slowgress report)  (Read 29584 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Handley Page V/1500 scratch build (slowgress report)
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2020, 09:19:55 AM »
Slow and stead wins the race  ;) Looking forward on the next up-date  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2020, 01:32:01 AM »
For me, every scratchbuild is a journey.  Some are relatively quick and enjoyable.  Some are difficult and seem to go on forever.  In the end, none of it matters.  It all has to fit between everything else that goes on in life.  So, no matter how long it takes, as long as you want to continue, its a decision that is up to you alone.
Thanks for sharing your journey with us.  Like Rick alluded to, everyone that looks through your thread could pick up something that makes their own journeys more enjoyable.
Looking forward to more updates - whenever they may happen.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2020, 08:28:20 AM »
Thank you Terri and Ken for your kind words.

I am still enjoying everything about this build. I only wish I had more time for it than I have right now. But when I'm not busy building, I am still planning ahead, and figuring out how to build the other segments. The cockpit will be a real challenge too. Colin Owers told me that there is more technical information on the Zeppelin Staaken (my next 1/32 project....nah, just kidding) than on the Handley Page V/1500. I asked the good people of the RAF museum's Reading Room if the museum holds an instruction manual to erect the beast. I figure that there must have been one at the time, (this being such a complex machine,) similar to the one for the O/400. I simply forgot to ask when I was there last March. The archive is enormous, so perhaps something can be found.

I ordered a spraybooth and it will be delivered this week. Coming weekend I plan to spray the parts that are ready. It will be my first experience with airbrushing, and yes, I will test it on some spare styrene, before I ruin everything. Again. And I will post the results, whatever they may be.

I value all the input and advice that all the kind people on this wonderful forum give me and it makes me feel like we are making this journey together.

Willem
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 04:04:02 PM by Rookie »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2020, 01:29:29 AM »
Willem,

Al scratch builds a re a journey of some kind and we all make errors on those journeys. I too sometimes "enjoy" the accompaniments of the ageing process which can be disabling in a modelling sense. However I try to regard regard a setback as a learning opportunity - sometimes what works in your head does not work in the hand - so just think again!

With reference to tiny details on these sometimes poorly recorded machines: just go with what you think was most probable, or in some cases what you can make. There are very few if any people out there who would be able to dispute your interpretation of the real parts, and even fewer who will notice! They will be impressed by the finished model - or in the case of this one, overwhelmed!

Good luck and post more when you are ready. We are waiting....and can continue to wait.

Stephen. 

Offline RichieW

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2020, 03:33:31 AM »
Keep at Rookie, us newbie scratch builders need a big dose of patience, stubbornness and sheer will power!

I'm planning on using bamboo skewers for struts too. It all seems a bit daunting but the great scratch builders here are always on hand with great advice.

Richie

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2020, 08:08:38 AM »
Thanks Stephen and Ritchie for your support and patience.

I know my pitfall is getting stuck on details. I can dwell for weeks on them and in the end I know that I have spent more time researching than building. I am very aware of that. I need to loosen up a bit I guess.

I have a question about fillers. I use Revell Plasto for filling little dents. It dries fast, it is easy to sand and the results are good, once sealed. I regularly us Mr. Surfacer 500 applied very thinly with a brush. It shrinks, but when sanded and a second or third layer applied again I get a nice smooth surface.  I don't have to worry about sanding the surrounding styrene away accidentally in the proces. It behaves a little like chalk so sometimes I mix it with a few drops of plastic glue to make it a little stronger. It is not well suited to correct shapes like the wingtips though. It is to brittle and will crumble. Also, when I use it to fill seems, it cracks open easily. So I need something to do "structural"work and correct shapes. Any suggestions for other brands? I have not gotten satisfactory results with Milliput (yet) but maybe I am using the wrong way.

Willem
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 04:22:10 PM by Rookie »

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2020, 09:41:51 PM »
I find that Miliput is the ultimate putty, but it is very messy.  Another alternative that is almost as good is automobile body glazing putty.  I don't know what they call it there in The Netherlands, but here in the US one can find it in auto parts stores.  It is solvent based so it shrinks some, but it is very sandable.  I have used it for structural parts, like wingtips.  There are other auto body puttys that may work as well.  Bondo is one that works well.  It is a polyester based putty that you mix with a catalyst before applying.  It sticks to polystyrene well.  It cures in about 20 minutes.
Hope these ideas help.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2020, 01:56:36 AM »
Thank you for the tip Ken. I will give Milliput another try. I think I need to be a little more patient with it. I will keep automobile body glazing putty in mind though. I'd like to give that a try too.

Got some work done with the rib tape. Here and there a little straightening is needed, but I think basically it looks okay. I'll do the rest of them tonight and tomorrow morning and then put on some layers of clear coat to fixate them. Then I hope to prime and airbrush them in good old PC10. It looks a little sloppy right now. I hope it turns out alright.

I'm not sure if I'll use the rib tape for the wings though. I think they are great for smaller surfaces, but scoring the styrene for the wings will work better for me. It saves time and it is not so hard to keep them straight.

Seeing the tailplane surfaces laid out like this it has about the same size of an average WNW kit. In the top of the second photo is a gauge I use for the position of the hinges, control horn and control cables.

Willem

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 02:07:28 AM by Rookie »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2020, 03:58:09 AM »
Good to see these surfaces nearly complete. I use Evergreen strip for the ribs on my models with Mr Surfacer 1000 around the edges on the 1/32 scale wings It gave a very good effect.

Stephen.

Online Europapete

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2020, 08:39:20 PM »
Be carefull if you use automotive putty. It heats up as it cures ( chemical reaction) so only apply it in thin layers, if you goop it on it can soften and deform adjacent plastic. Regards, Pete in RI

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2020, 11:09:17 PM »
I 'm really enjoying your progress , tail looks fantastic so far  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2020, 02:52:17 AM »
Good to see these surfaces nearly complete. I use Evergreen strip for the ribs on my models with Mr Surfacer 1000 around the edges on the 1/32 scale wings It gave a very good effect.

Stephen.

I have plenty of time (and styrene  ;) to give that a try too. I have seen great examples of them.

Be careful if you use automotive putty. It heats up as it cures ( chemical reaction) so only apply it in thin layers, if you goop it on it can soften and deform adjacent plastic. Regards, Pete in RI

Thanks for the heads-up Pete

I 'm really enjoying your progress , tail looks fantastic so far  :)

Terri

Yes, it's is finally starting to look  like something, although, as usual it is all taking longer than expected, but then this is not a speed contest.

I have made slots for all 12 hinges by hand-drilling 4 holes for each slot with a 0.5 mm drill, and than I carefully scraped out the rest of the styrene with a fresh no. 11 blade:

...and inserted and CS-glued the hinges in place:

Ribtape is applied on the rudders and the lower planes and elevators:

Last item is the big topplane and elevators. I am drawing guidelines for the ribtape, (mis)using two Exacto clamps as a straight angle:

The ribtape (thank you Bob Von Buckles) are 1mm wide:

When cut a little longer than needed, I gently press and hold one end to the styrene, and than position the strip above the penciled guideline and drop it. They are a little stiff and straight as an arrow, so if you use them with care, they look very sharp. If I drop it wrong, I peel if of, leaving the beginning in place, and "drop" it again. The tack is just right: it still sticks after re-adjusting it a few times. Don't try to stretch it, for it is elastic and will return to its original length. So be sure to cut them a little longer than needed and use a very sharp knife to cut the excess when it is in place. Works like a charm, and with some practice I am finally getting the hang of it.

Thanks for looking in and the positive comments. They are much appreciated.

Willem

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 03:33:51 AM by Rookie »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2020, 03:44:05 AM »
When you have completed the tail unit you could put it in the cabinet as an example of an experimental type....it would be as big as many single seaters!

Stephen.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2020, 12:36:31 PM »
When you have completed the tail unit you could put it in the cabinet as an example of an experimental type....it would be as big as many single seaters!

Stephen.

Lord knows that's true, Stephen. I have seen somewhere a photograph of young ladies handling elevators of the O/400, and they seemed about the size of a Pup's wing panels.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2020, 09:58:39 PM »

Stephen.

Indeed, and I could call it "Handley Page E/500" (E for "Experimental")  ;)

Lord knows that's true, Stephen. I have seen somewhere a photograph of young ladies handling elevators of the O/400, and they seemed about the size of a Pup's wing panels.

I have the Amodel 1/32 Nieuport 11 "Bebe" kit. The span of the topwing is actually smaller than the span of the top tailplane of the V/1500...