Author Topic: 1/32 Handley Page V/1500 scratch build (slowgress report)  (Read 30359 times)

Offline Ronkootje

Re: Handley Page V/1500 scratch build (slowgress report)
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2020, 06:56:57 PM »
Nice progress, I have looked into surf boards they use foam board reinforced with Epoxy. Here is a link of what material I mean.
https://www.polyservice.nl/pu-schuimplaat/88-pu-schuimplaat-100-x-50-cm-3400.html

I would make ribs of the shape of the wing say every 10 cm and on the spots where the struts go make reinforcement holes and run two stiff spars of bras or wood in the centre and glue the foam in between the air foils, then sand this in shape witch is real easy but messy. when done coat the whole wing in Epoxy resin and let it dry. Then use the styrene. That is what I would do.

Regards Ron 

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2020, 04:48:38 PM »
Thanks for your advice Ron,

I've looked at some YouTube video tutorials about using epoxy resin and looked at the foam from your link. I think this is the way to go.

Yesterday a package arrived with 4 sheets of 140 x 100 cm styrene from www.kunststofshop.nl. I didn't mean to order that much, but I misinterpreted te size of these sheets. I thought it was 14 x 100 cm, not 140 x 100. But, since I am known for wasting a lot of styrene, it may come in handy.

Still busy with the stabilizers and elevators and I will have something to show soon.

Willem

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2020, 10:47:57 PM »
Don't worry, I'm still here and I've not given up. Just been busy with other things like the weed in the garden that seems to grow like it's radio-active.

Stabilizers and elevators ready for rib-strips to be applied and to be given a (first) layer of primer. Next things to make are the hinges, the control horns and the slots in the stabilizers for the control cables.

Also been doodling with a concept for a strut. Built up from bamboo snack sticks.

I'll be back

Offline RichieW

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2020, 11:19:06 PM »
Glad you're still at it Rookie, I'm so impressed with what you've done so far. I've made a start on a scratch build and it is daunting! Keeping the weeds at bay is daunting too, every day there are more. They keep coming back like the Terminator!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2020, 12:36:00 AM »
The tail feathers are looking great! The struts should be very sturdy. I am finding bamboo is fairly easy to carve and sand so I am sure you will do fine!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2020, 08:22:26 PM »
Thank you for the kind comments Rick and Ritchie.

@ Ritchie: I found it hard to get the radius and arc of the wingtips right while maintaining a perfectly perpendicular leading edge. It took me a while to get them the way I wanted. Eventually I got them right with some filling (Revell Plasto), priming (Mr. Surfacer 500) and polishing with a 6000 grit pad.

@ Rick: Working with bamboo was not as hard as I expected, just as long as I use sharp tools.

I made one control horn from brass tube and a piece copper sheet. I squeezed the tube in a vice to get it flattened like a strut and CA glued the copper sheet in it. It will have have two holes for the control cables later on. I have to make a couple more for all the elevators and ailerons. On the rudders they are a little different.

In the meantime I started  applying the rib tape from Mr. von Buckles. More later and thanks for looking in.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 05:41:13 PM by Rookie »

Offline RichieW

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2020, 07:12:33 AM »
Hi Rookie, that control horn looks brilliant. You patience and perseverance are a lesson I need to follow. This is a wonderful project!

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2020, 05:23:49 AM »
Nice updates and very useful building tips.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2020, 09:03:30 PM »
I do like those struts - very strong but because they are made from wood they will only need varnishing. The tail surfaces look good too - but I am nor surprised that you had some problems with the tips. A really good solution to the problem though - one which I used on the very large wing of the Dornier Rs II that I made a couple of years ago.

Looking forward to more updates - this is a truly amazing project.

Stephen.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2020, 12:47:28 AM »
It's been a while, I know, but I'm still here. But after all, this is exactly what it says on the tin: "Slowgress report". Some of you might have thought that I abandoned this ambitious project, but the truth is that because of the Covid 19 limitations I am working from home now and it meant that I had to sacrifice my kitchen table "workshop" for my business laptop and an extra 27" inch screen. The last two weeks it is too hot to do anything anyway in terms if modeling. Everything sticks to everything and styrene almost becomes fluid. Today it cooled down to a mere 29.8 Celcius. Meanwhile, Ron Kootje has shown his craftsmanship (again) and did a brilliant job. He managed to cast four perfect looking resin rudders, using my own fabrication as a mould. When you look at the photograph, I don't have to point out which is which. Thanks again Ron, great job!

And so these rudders and the fabulous scratch-builds of Stephen and Richie (just to name a few) gave me a kick in the but to get it on again.

I cleared a 2x2 foot corner of "my" kitchen table an now I'm applying the rib tape from Mr. von B. It is just a little harder to keep everything on the table with the fan blowing over it.

And though it's a little frustrating to show beautiful work that's not even mine, I hope to return soon to show some of my own slowgress.

I'll be back….

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2020, 05:41:35 AM »
Superb rudders and a good idea to have 4 identical ones made. Sometimes scratch building each part has its drawbacks - casting in resin from one good part is a neat way around that problem.

Stephen.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2020, 05:54:30 PM »
It’s been quiet on this build log for a while.

The thing is, my arthrosis has been playing up recently. It’s always there, but some days it hinders me more than others, especially in the hands. The moist weather and the high humidity don’t help either. It would have been wiser to start a slightly less ambitious project, but I intend to finish what I started, no matter how long it takes. If it is up to me, it will NOT be shelved.

This build was triggered by the announced release of the Handley Page O/100 and O/400 by Wingnut Wings. Sadly, we all know that that is not going to happen anytime soon, if at all. To be honest, I find the news page on their website a little ambiguous.
"...for the time being..." suggest something that is temporary, but the last sentence sounds more like a farewell.... I was saving money to buy both kits, and build the V/1500 myself, so there would be a complete set of the Handsome Threesome.

Frankly, I still have no idea where I would have put them once they were finished, but I just HAD to have them. Turns out that I only have to find space for one.

Fortunately, I downloaded the photographs, the instruction manual and the pictures of the sprues of the O/100 before they were deleted from the website.

On the Large Scale Planes forum, Mike Swinburne has published a fantastic build log of the only O/100 kit that was sold.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/84725-wingnut-wings-handley-page-o100/

He has posted lots of beautiful pictures of the build, and was kind enough to send me a picture of the sprue with the control horns for the elevators and ailerons. Remarkably, the top of these, where the control wires run through, are not rounded, but angled. They don’t look anything like the prototype I made from brass. On the (few) pictures I found on all three bomber types, they look rounded. But details are vague, grainy and pixelated when magnified, at best.

I assume our friends at WNW did their homework, so the control horns on the sprue will be my starting point, although the dimensions are different, and the form may have developed into something else. After all, there are 2 years between the development of the O/100 and the V/1500.

Unfortunately, when I was in the RAF museum in March, I simply did not have the time to study all the drawings. The sheer volume of the drawings was overwhelming. There are more than 1100 of them and I only had 1 ½ day.

So what’s the score?

Things go slow, but I AM making progress. I already said that I’m in the process of applying the rib-tape (Bob’s Buckles). He custom made the for me and they are 1 mm wide. That may not seem much, but when they are clear-coated, primed and sprayed in the right color, the will have the desired effect.

However, when a started to stick them on, I found that the control surfaces were far from perfect. The angles were rounded and there were lots of dents and bumps, all the result of sloppy initial work. So, I correct these mistakes as I go along. When that’s done, the tape goes on and will be sealed with a couple of layers of clear coat.
Needless to say, the rudders that Ron Kootje casted for me are perfect. Only the leading edges need to rounded once I have separated the rudders from the guides.

I chose to glue the four elevators to the control surfaces and then spray them. I’m afraid they are too delicate to handle once painted. The hinges (three on each elevator) are strips of 0,5 mm copper sheet, 4 mm wide and 8 mm long.
Meanwhile, I’m jealously looking at the builds of Old Man’s ‘El Sonora’, Ken’s Avro 504, Stephen’s de Haviland and Kent’s ‘Skeletal' Fokker Dr. I’ just to name a few.

What? No pictures?

No, not yet. You guys have seen enough of my fumblings, so I will post pictures when (and if) I have something really worthwhile to show.

Don’t worry, I WILL be back.

Willem
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 01:29:40 AM by Rookie »

Offline ermeio

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2020, 02:47:01 AM »
Take your time,
I will continue to follow with an high interest ...
best
er me

Online RAGIII

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2020, 04:27:39 AM »
Keep posting. Even failures can give those of us that haven't tried scratchbuilding hints! I am looking forward to your progress.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2020, 06:15:30 AM »
Thank you Giampaolo and Rick for the encouraging words.

I will post some pictures as soon as I have all the rib tapes on the control surfaces, and of each following step.