Author Topic: Exclusive look at the new Wingnuts kit  (Read 20217 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Exclusive look at the new Wingnuts kit
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 02:10:56 AM »
Oh yeah, I'll throw in a three cheers for WNW..outstanding choice....a must have...a prestigious aircraft... I too love it's lines.  WNW once again breaks the mold (nopunintended)....I know of only one kit ever produced...the Aurora 1/48 that I built as a kid.

Hi Doug, Mirage Hobby also produced a couple of boxings if I remember correctly.

Yep, Mirage and Blue Max.  Both good kits, but of the two, Mirage is by far the best.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Monty

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2018, 02:28:26 AM »
Wow! Well done WNW! It appeals to me a lot....
Marc.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2018, 05:42:14 AM »
Of all the two-seaters she must surely be the most handsome.

Looks like a Pfalz DIII on steroids and that can only be a good thing to my way of thinking  ;) :o

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 05:46:07 AM »
@bobs_buckles

Well spoken, Bob, my old biker comrade.
And it is only minimally larger than a Pfalz D.III or Albatros D.III / D.V

A very dangerous thing, back then - I suspect.

Servus
Bertl

Offline petrov27

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 06:57:42 AM »
I think it is one of the most aggressive looking a/c designs of the first war - given the ground attack function these were performing at very low altitude it must have been very thrilling (terrifying?) to be flying it and especially standing in the back handling the rear gun....
-Patrick

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2018, 08:12:16 AM »
Not to pour much water on the fire but the CL-II, nice as it is, likely won't join the eight WNW kits in my cache. That said, it is a lovely kit and I am sure that many forumites will happily buy one or more and enjoy their builds immensely. Good luck to them all!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2018, 08:15:58 AM »
Oh yeah, I'll throw in a three cheers for WNW..outstanding choice....a must have...a prestigious aircraft... I too love it's lines.  WNW once again breaks the mold (nopunintended)....I know of only one kit ever produced...the Aurora 1/48 that I built as a kid.

Hi Doug, Mirage Hobby also produced a couple of boxings if I remember correctly.

Yep, Mirage and Blue Max.  Both good kits, but of the two, Mirage is by far the best.
Cheers,
Bud

Here is mine(Aurora), from many years ago  ;D Pretty cool looking scheme...at least it seemed so to my imagination  ::)

RAGIII

PS: Hopefully I will do a little better with the WNW kit
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:22:39 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline eclarson

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2018, 09:44:28 AM »
From the reactions I see here and on the Facebook WNW Fans group, this one will be a big seller.  Which means anyone who has half an inkling of getting one should do so as soon as possible once they become available.  With the plethora of very cool schemes (many of which Pheon Decal will no doubt provide for us eventually) I'm sure those who can afford to do so will buy more than one.  I bet this one sells out in record time!  I know I'm in for one.  :)

Cheers,
Eric

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2018, 11:18:34 AM »
Some years ago while visiting America I bought the excellent Mirage 1/48th Halberstadt kit for $80 which was quite expensive for the time/ scale.

Some years on, I still have not made it and now will be able to buy a Wingnuts 1/32 Halberstadt for not much more than the Mirage kit cost!

Mmm. Wonder if I posed the 1/48th kit behind the 1/32 kit for a diorama photo, it might suggest some distance between the two aircraft?

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
Yeah, but if you do that, Dave, it'll look a lot like a.....mirage.......................................(sorry)....so lame.............ok, moving on.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline aliluke

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2018, 02:30:12 PM »
Have to withdraw my initial reaction. Looking at the Halberstadt in more depth - particularly the profile and the schemes - I think I might be hooked...

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2018, 03:03:57 PM »
I think it is one of the most aggressive looking a/c designs of the first war - given the ground attack function these were performing at very low altitude it must have been very thrilling (terrifying?) to be flying it and especially standing in the back handling the rear gun....

That's true, but not all Halberstadts were attached to Schlastas and doing ground attack missions. There were Halberstadts Cl. II in the inventory of normal FA(A)s doing classic C-type jobs.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2018, 05:29:41 PM »
I'm as pleased with this release as I would've been with a BE or a Strutter!  My favorite German 2-seater and so many wonderful schemes and markings options.  I hope Brunhilde is one of them, then I could have Brunhilde Jr. and Brunhilde Sr..

Cheers,
Bud

I have always loved that photo, it is in 'Janes' where the 'plane is described as equipped for contour fighting. I haven't been able to find out exactly what 'contour fighting' was

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2018, 08:50:02 PM »
I have always loved that photo, it is in 'Janes' where the 'plane is described as equipped for contour fighting. I haven't been able to find out exactly what 'contour fighting' was
Richard
[/quote]

I'm not sure but it might mean "low level fighting" as when the aircraft are close to the ground and following the ground contours. "Contour lines" on a two-dimensional map show the shape or "contour" of the ground. Here's an example:

Hope this helps!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2018, 09:19:59 PM »

I'm not sure but it might mean "low level fighting" as when the aircraft are close to the ground and following the ground contours. "Contour lines" on a two-dimensional map show the shape or "contour" of the ground. Here's an example:

Hope this helps!   8)

I have always assumed it is a ground attack/suppression role. In fact it has to be, you don't carry all those stick grenades for any other reason. I was just curious why Janes called it contour fighting. Was this a term in use at the time?

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!