Author Topic: My First WNW! Albatros D.V complete!  (Read 23486 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: My First WNW! Albatros D.V 29/05/18
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2018, 11:26:35 PM »
    Nice work on those Spandaus Gaz, they look 100% real to my eye. Going back a bit you made a great choice on the airbrush; I have an Iwata HP-C and supplemented it with a "B" version like yours a while back. I switch back and forth between the two depending on how fine a spray I need or how much paint I'm using. Great product!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2018, 03:57:27 AM »
That spinner looks much better!

Thank you Herr Baron!  I'm still not sure about the shape.  I'll know better once I can dry fit it and see how it blends with the model and how much more stuff I can put on the inside and still fit the prop.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2018, 03:58:11 AM »
Beautiful work on the spinner and guns, Gaz!  Those PE jackets look just fine to me.
Cheers,
Bud

Thank you, Bud! 

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2018, 04:00:25 AM »
Hi Gaz
I've got a pair of those Gaspatch Spandau's to test out for my next model having previously used the kit ones. Will be interested to compare when I use them. Perfectly happy with the kit ones especially on my LVG which came out well enough.

Your kit versions look very good to me.

Can't comment on the spinner but will look back at yours when I get to my Albastross!

Cheers,
Alistair

Thank you Alistair.  The Gaspatch guns are really the bee's knees for a nice look with less work. 

Gaz

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2018, 04:02:10 AM »
The Spandaus look great to me. The spinner looks to be greatly improved. Having tried reshaping the kit spinner on my first 2 DV/DVa,s I went with a spare roden spinner for my current build.
RAGIII

Thanks, Mate!  Did the Roden spinner fit alright?  I'm thinking about making a casting of a spinner from another Roden Alby I have and pouring it in resin.

Gaz

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2018, 04:05:31 AM »
    Nice work on those Spandaus Gaz, they look 100% real to my eye. Going back a bit you made a great choice on the airbrush; I have an Iwata HP-C and supplemented it with a "B" version like yours a while back. I switch back and forth between the two depending on how fine a spray I need or how much paint I'm using. Great product!
Cheers,
Lance

Thank you Lance!  I'm really digging the new airbrush, too.  I find myself using it when I need to either be very accurate or for finer lines and blotches.  For Larger work and when I want to use thicker paint for quick coverage I use my Iwata HP-CR.  It has really great atomization,

Gaz

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2018, 04:24:08 AM »
The Spandaus look great to me. The spinner looks to be greatly improved. Having tried reshaping the kit spinner on my first 2 DV/DVa,s I went with a spare roden spinner for my current build.
RAGIII

Thanks, Mate!  Did the Roden spinner fit alright?  I'm thinking about making a casting of a spinner from another Roden Alby I have and pouring it in resin.

Gaz

Gaz,
I had to sand the spinner very slightly to get it to line up with the WNW backing plate. Remember that Flugzuegwerk Makes a 3d printed spinner for Axial Props also.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2018, 08:04:00 AM »
Like all the others already said, Gaz: Very nice MGs and a great work on the spinner.
Best regards
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2018, 03:57:26 PM »
Thank you, Borsos!

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2018, 12:59:52 PM »

No, it's not an igloo on a strange planet.  It's the spinner of my Albatros.  Once I was able to test fit the reshaped spinner, it virtually fell into the recess made by the cowls.  That meant it was just too small.

So, I made a bunch of wedges.  Each one 1cm long and 2mm wide at the base...ish.  They were scored to help conform to the curve of the spinner.   Then using Microweld, I glued them to the spinner.  Here is the fit now:

Now I will have to fill the troughs with 5-second-fix and shape it all over again.

Cheers,

Gaz

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2018, 02:02:59 PM »
Looks like a cunning plan, Gaz!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline krow113

« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2018, 03:06:13 PM »
Good work Gaz!
Looks to be heading towards a perfect mould  for vac-forming .

Offline Borsos

« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2018, 04:52:30 PM »
Hard work! Remember Umlaufmotor offering a perfectly fitting 3D-printed spinner via Shapeways?  ;)
Borsos
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2018, 05:46:55 PM »
Not hard work...  just tedious.  Where is umlaufmotor?  Get tired of buying stuff, ya know?  Should have some useful skills by now.

I don't know much about vacforming.  I once made a silicon mold of a 109 spinner and poured it in resin.  A few bubbles...  but it worked.  I was just going to do the same thing here.

Still have some fine tuning to do.

Thank ya!

Gaz

Offline Borsos

« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2018, 07:02:50 PM »
Sorry, Umlaufmotor is Bertl, I meant Bo‘s „Flugzeugwerke“: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?board=91.0
Borsos
Barbusse.
Remarque.