Author Topic: My First WNW! Albatros D.V complete!  (Read 23721 times)

Offline GazzaS

Re: My First WNW! Albatros D.V 23/05/18
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2018, 06:42:20 PM »
Hi again,
   Not alot covered as I've been a bit distracted with my favorite plane from next war...  But I did get some painting and masking done today.  Hate masking...  but what must be, must be.  Or...I hafta buy aftermarket.

I think last time I posted, it was the upper sides of the wings.  Here is the lower:

The techniques was the same except that for the upper sides I wanted to low-light the depression between the ribs and very lightly highlight the ribs themselves.
For the lower side, I wanted to low-light the area immediately adjacent to the rib, and to highlight the rib itself and to a lessor extent, highlight the space between the ribs...  My idea of trying to show some slight light passing through.

Today it was all empennage.  Masking painting, and then finally realizing I could have done it quicker and easier than I did.  I hate it when an epiphany comes after I've finished.

I'm not very happy with the green.  It's a bit dark and translucent looking.  I;ll have to do some airbrush-stuff to see if I can get it looking better.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2018, 08:52:02 PM »
Good progress but I have to agree with you about the green. It does look a bit dark and too translucent compared to how the Jasta 5 green is usually represented, although who really knows, it's your call. There are some good photos of Jasta 5 planes on the WNW website which will show you how the tails looked, in case you haven't seen them.

Offline wmoran

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2018, 03:18:02 AM »
How did you end up doing the red trim on the tail surfaces?

Bill

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2018, 03:52:59 PM »
Hi Fellas,
  Nigel, I haven't started yet, but I think I'm going to redo the tail.  Thanks for your input.

Bill,
    First I masked off the portion that would be painted red, then I painted green.  Once the green had set for a few days I masked the green, and painted the red.  This left me with a fair amount of touch up to do.  It would have been quicker to paint the whole empennage green, mask off the area to be painted red...   Shoot it quickly with white primer, then once dry, just mask off the area to paint red.

Really hate redoing it...  But it just came out too wrong.

Gaz

Online RAGIII

« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2018, 12:25:03 AM »
The red outline came out beautifully even if it was a lot of work. As for the tail color it is your Model and if you aren't happy that is what Matters. Personally I think it is in the realm of possibility and would just spray a little of your highlight color to lighten it a tad  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2018, 12:36:47 AM »

Hey GazzaS,

Here are a couple of photos I took of the Albatros replica at the Museum of Flight in Seattle.
 Not saying it is identical to the original, but it gives you an idea of what it may have looked like on the full size aircraft.

Enjoy the rest of the build.

Dave :)

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2018, 04:02:12 AM »
RIII,
     Thanks for you thoughts.  I may try fixing it with airbrush work, first.  The though of stripping the tail really brings me down.

Dave,
    Thanks for the inspirational photos!  I may save it yet. 

Gaz

Offline krow113

« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2018, 04:55:42 AM »
Gaz,
The tail looks fine to me , why do it all over again if the issue is minor?
Your build is going well , keep the momentum up!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2018, 05:09:14 AM »
I can only agree, Gaz, I cannot see a reason for stripping the tail off. It is good work that can get perfect by just fixing some minor areas.

Gaz,
The tail looks fine to me , why do it all over again if the issue is minor?
Your build is going well , keep the momentum up!
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2018, 07:01:59 AM »
Your doing a fantastic job, Gaz, and the tail looks fine.  A little less gloss and it'll be perfect.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online RAGIII

« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2018, 09:25:17 PM »
Your doing a fantastic job, Gaz, and the tail looks fine.  A little less gloss and it'll be perfect.
Cheers,
Bud

Although It is still your decision, after seeing the replica photos I agree with Bud and the others.
RAGIII

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2018, 09:15:02 AM »
Guys, thanks for all of your kind and positive comments.  I went to try to fix it yesterday but ended up focusing on each tiny blemish as I tried.  In the end I whipped out the Simple Green and toothbrush and stripped it off after sealing the fuselage in a plastic baggie.  Because the red and green were done in my 'more durable' mixture, they took some effort to remove.

My new green is much lighter and done in enamel.  I'm about to go mask it up for the next stage of my new method.  Hopefully in a couple days I can post a better set of pictures.

Gaz

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2018, 10:01:35 PM »
Looking forward to the results!

Steve

Offline GazzaS

Re: My First WNW! Albatros D.V 29/05/18
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2018, 06:20:39 PM »
Steve,
    Thanks.  I'm hoping to get this right sooner or later.  I find that I'm more comfortable trying to work with camouflage colors than I am with base colors in a more decorative setting.   But I'll need to learn for that future red triplane.

But, my new Airbrush arrived today.  It has a .2mm tip and can spray a very fine line of very thin paint without making paint spiders.  Do you guys have a name for those paint smears that shoot out in 360 degrees? 

So, I got to test it on my Alby's tail after having a few minutes on my paint hack.  So far it has given me hope that I've made a good investment.

The base green I made by mixing Tamiya Enamel matte yellow and matte blue paints.  The color just fell to where I wanted it.

The edging is untinted Tamiya matte red enamel.  I sprayed it straight over the matte green I'd made.
Unfortunately there is a raised edge at the border.  I'll live with it since I can't see it with my glasses off...lol

The darker green between the ribs is a thin mix of various acrylic greens I have made during the build, including the dark semi-opaque green from the first attempt.

I'm quite happy with the way the shading looks on the rudder, but less so with the horizontal surfaces.  I'll have another go after work tomorrow if I'm not too whipped.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Online RAGIII

Re: My First WNW! Albatros D.V 29/05/18
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2018, 07:38:31 PM »
Your re paint looks beautiful. Well Done.
RAGIII