Author Topic: My First WNW! Albatros D.V complete!  (Read 23488 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: My First WNW! Albatros D.V 17/06/18
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2018, 12:34:40 PM »
Gaz,
      Incredible colors and really great decal work! I really like this one, and you are doing really great work on it. 8) 8) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »
Brilliant decal work, Gaz!  This one's well on it's way to being a real show stopper.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2018, 07:30:59 PM »
Guys,
   Thank you very much!  With these biplanes there always seems to be an endless number of 'little things' that get in the way of the 'next step'.  For instance, even though the main decals were done, I still had a couple hours on the stencils.  Then...  I still had to paint the Teeves und Braun radiator which was still attached to the sprues.  I try not to have too many parts adrift, or sitting in tiny cups... 

Anyway...  having taken care of some chipping, I now have to seal all of those decals so I can weather.  I prefer light weathering, but it's going to be work trying to raise those metal details that are hidden in the Bavarian Lozenge.

Does anyone have a system that smooths out the process?

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2018, 08:04:59 PM »
Looking great! Really nice work all round, she will look fantastic when she is all assembled.

I realise now that I am doing the same Albatros. I hope it turns out half as good as yours.....  ;)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2018, 10:12:11 PM »
   "Does anyone have a system that smooths out the process?

Gaz,
   If I am reading your question correctly I use a sealing coat of Future over the decals, then weather with oil based washes etc. The oil based weathering is easily removed or reduced with white spirits without damaging the base coat or decals if you find you've over done it.
Hope this is of some help.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2018, 07:03:48 AM »
Looking great! Really nice work all round, she will look fantastic when she is all assembled.

I realise now that I am doing the same Albatros. I hope it turns out half as good as yours.....  ;)

Nigel, Thank you very much.  I'm sure yours will look great, and I'm looking forward to seeing how yours looks.

Gaz

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2018, 07:11:55 AM »
   "Does anyone have a system that smooths out the process?

Gaz,
   If I am reading your question correctly I use a sealing coat of Future over the decals, then weather with oil based washes etc. The oil based weathering is easily removed or reduced with white spirits without damaging the base coat or decals if you find you've over done it.
Hope this is of some help.
Cheers,
Lance

Lance,
   Actually, what I meant was what they do with all of the little things that seem to impede me between major steps.  Parts preparation, a way of storing prepared parts that keeps them from being lost or damaged.  For instance, there is a little PE panel that goes between the MG's.  It's painted the same color as the struts, cowls, and other hardware.  But still, it was process on it's own as I left it until this point in the build to touch.  Even now, the pipes that lead from the radiator to the engine are still on the sprue, safe from loss and damage...  but still requiring attention later.

Does that make more sense?

Thanks,

Gaz

Offline aliluke

« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2018, 11:37:52 AM »
Wow that scheme is looking really good. Wonderful work on the decals - those checkers on the fuselage would give me the shakes.

I keep all my processed parts in Tupperware like kitchen plastic containers - Sistema for example. They can be completely closed up and so no chance of losing them. I like to process the small parts while waiting for other parts to cure - especially when waiting for oils to dry. If the part number is important I trim it off the sprue excepting for the number - especially important for things like struts. So on my LVG every other part is now ready while I slowly work through the application of the lozenges. I also only work on one model at a time so there is no chance of confusing parts!

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2018, 02:51:39 PM »
Beautiful work, Gaz. Terrific decaling.Top!!!
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2018, 03:32:06 PM »
Wow that scheme is looking really good. Wonderful work on the decals - those checkers on the fuselage would give me the shakes.

I keep all my processed parts in Tupperware like kitchen plastic containers - Sistema for example. They can be completely closed up and so no chance of losing them. I like to process the small parts while waiting for other parts to cure - especially when waiting for oils to dry. If the part number is important I trim it off the sprue excepting for the number - especially important for things like struts. So on my LVG every other part is now ready while I slowly work through the application of the lozenges. I also only work on one model at a time so there is no chance of confusing parts!

Cheers
Alistair

Thank you Alistair.  I appreciate knowing how you do all of your other parts.   I will definitely try to organize myself better.

I have to admit, working with such large decals did scare me at first.  But they attached themselves very well and were really nice to work with.

I did something I've never done before, and that was painting the to-be-decaled area with clean water to add a little bit of lubrication before I laid down the decal.  I found that it helped in allowing me to move the decal as well as eliminate some silvering, too, especially on the Wappen where there is some clear film.   

...And the hair dryer, too.   I've never used one before, just letting everything dry at it's own speed.  I may just buy one for myself as I found it really convenient to help the decal conform to the surface detail much quicker.

Gaz

For safety, there is an extra strip of blue/white lozenge and a solid piece of blue that is 1cmX2cm provided on the decal sheet.  There are some tiny alignment flaws on the belly that I should use some of the extras on, but I haven't got to it yet.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2018, 06:04:52 PM »
Gaz, the result so far is something astonishing. I am always worried thinking about large decals covering big parts such as wings and fuselage (i.e. lozenges and similar).
Your work is perfect!

Antonio

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2018, 06:17:16 PM »
Thank you Manni and Antonio!  They're really great decals.

Gaz

Offline GazzaS

Re: My First WNW! Albatros D.V 20/06/18
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2018, 10:50:53 AM »
Hi everyone,
   I feel like I have a million miles to go yet I know the end is quite near.  Some pics with text in the pics:

Thank you for looking!

Gaz

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2018, 11:24:48 AM »
Really looking terrific! That albatros color scheme  is one of the best looking of all in my opinion, and you are truly knocking this one out of the park!

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2018, 11:28:17 AM »
Beautifully done Gaz.  What a great looking bird done in your usual great style.