Author Topic: The Gotha  (Read 48716 times)

Offline krow113

Re: The Gotha
« Reply #195 on: December 02, 2018, 02:59:55 AM »
Thanks RIII!
 For the 10K in views on my thread I thank alla the members here and visitors.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 04:11:25 PM by krow113 »

Offline krow113

« Reply #196 on: December 02, 2018, 04:15:35 PM »
And here is the work on the exhaust.
Multiple pigment layers and Dullcoats pile up texture and color. The final swipes with dark steel pigment , a final rub with some smoke around the actual exhaust opening should finish them off nicey.
Top and bottom views:

We'll throw a few more in here.
The struts are all mounted on racks , pva'd in place effectively masking the glueing areas:

Preservation of sanity is the best reason I do it that way.\
And I pulled out the engine/wing assy and fitted the exhaust , which plugged in real easy and nice:

I estimate the engine detailing at around 50% at this point. Its the hardest 50% so that's good!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 04:06:38 PM by krow113 »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2018, 11:52:18 PM »
Continuing to be an impressive build! The engine already looks outstanding...even at 50%
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline krow113

« Reply #198 on: December 05, 2018, 04:44:13 PM »
Thank you , RIII
 Got the struts into AK German light blue:

Looking into the fairleads on the fuselage sides . Was a little worried but almost every pic has a different configuration . WNW supplies tiny parts , almost too small to drill through. Looks like I'll hafta make two for the fronts of the engines , so maybe a full set to be made. A little farther down the road....

Offline krow113

« Reply #199 on: December 06, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »
 While waiting for paint to dry I quickly fabbed and soldered an anemometer mount as per many pics:

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 06:23:10 PM by krow113 »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #200 on: December 07, 2018, 01:41:25 AM »
I am sure I have said this before but your attention to detail is terrific. Excellent work on the mount as always!
RAGIII

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #201 on: December 07, 2018, 01:54:51 AM »
Really enjoying your progress and work.  Looks fantastic.

Offline krow113

« Reply #202 on: December 07, 2018, 11:44:19 AM »
Thanks Rick & Jaun.
 If a little redundant , nevertheless , here is Gaspatch's 1/32 anemometer attached to the mount:

This is actually mount #2 , the first didn't survive some adjustment:

And you can see here how I squished the tube , orienting towards the pilot seat , and then ground off the front of the squish , creating an elongated fishmouth to recieve the meters flange:

A nice mount hanging the anemometer , an air speed guage , up into the undisturbed air it needs to function properly .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #203 on: December 07, 2018, 08:40:57 PM »
Excellent!
RAGIII

Offline krow113

« Reply #204 on: December 08, 2018, 05:28:45 AM »

Thanks Rick!
 Last night some more parts were prepared for the engine pods. The framework , the fuel gauges were applied without glue to help figure out exactly how these parts go. Its a little unclear in the instructions , but there really is only one way to get it sorted. The parts are just sitting , no glue as I know the front struts need to be in place , this is one of the finest engineering points of the kit and you will be impressed. I am , WNW knows what they are doing:

Internal engine rigging points have been sorted as well , Gpatch turnbuckles and eyelets have been installed. The tbuckles to the top as per pics. I am also thinking of the engine bearers , WNW has them as dark wood , there is a pic (page 16 instructions ) of mechs working on a Gotha in the factory that clearly shows the bearers to be  a light colored smooth material . Also it looks like the fuel tank is stepped , but not clear enough to make a call onthat .I can see the engine pods being a real chore , just the way I like it , detail wise . Packing the rest of the parts into the tiny pod space will be fun. Also the ngine in/out as I work the detail in will be fun.
Thanks for looking in.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:03:29 PM by krow113 »

Offline aliluke

« Reply #205 on: December 09, 2018, 09:00:36 AM »
Trully stunning Steve. Just need WNW to re-release the Gotha and I'd be up for one - I need a twin engine kit in my stash and the Gotha really appeals but I'd never reach your level of attention to detail which is just incredible!

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline krow113

« Reply #206 on: December 10, 2018, 05:19:54 AM »
Thank you , Alistair.
 Here is a pic with the rear turnbuckles in place , for these I drilled through the tube frame. Also there are 2 eyelets in that area (front/back) for the 2 lines that go vertically , emerging from the top of the engine pod , going between the exhaust manifold runners to the underside of the top wing:

And the lack of decent reference pics of the engine area is frustrating things. My work on Harleys gives me some insight into the mounting of parts. Especially a full oil tank which is very heavy. The oil tank here , happily perched on top of a tube with no mounts or info on mounting , no info on return , feed or breather lines is making me mental. I 'll most likely try to see in the limited available pics , of how it was mounted and plumbed.
I'll be on to painting these parts today as well.
 As far as a Gotha re-release , I've already called it with a Duellist set , the Gotha and a Biff in a nightfighting theme.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:51:26 AM by krow113 »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: December 10, 2018, 05:51:57 AM »
Looking really good Steve, and I'd say taking a bit of "informed license" with some of the finer details in the absence of objective references being available is more then logical! Great job so far and, as of yesterday, of much greater interest to me; I was offered a sealed Gotha Kit for the price of a lifetime so I'll be book marking this excellent Log for future reference! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline krow113

« Reply #208 on: December 11, 2018, 11:04:06 AM »
Thanks Lance!
And grab that Gotha if its a good price. The last one I was  offered  , with the GV conversion was over $400CAD.  Needless to say I passed.
Still interested in a GV conversion at a decent price...

I'll be pretty clear about 'informed licence' whenever it is going to show up , I'm not tryna 'fabricate' details.
As far as the oil tank goes , last nights research of the 3 available pics (only one useable ) that have a Gotha oil tank in them revealed a mount. That would be pic # 36 on page16 in your Gotha! programme.
   There is very obviously an inverted 'V' mount off the lower front of the tank. This would suffice for me , even though it is a post war mail plane. Perhaps the original mount broke and this is the fix.
Unfortunately WNW has the oil tank further to the inside of the engine pod. So I'll have to cut off the filler neck , cut off the oil tank , fabricate a mount as shown and re-position the oil tank farther out and re-attaching the filler neck. This will be for the exposed engine so it will not have to have the panels match up to the mods. It wont be so different than the closed up engine for looks , and I wont have a hovering oil tank any more. I think this was done by WNW to work within  the plastic thickness and at least have an oil tank for us.
 All this mind-numbing figuring out of the open engine area is due to the fact that this is the most concentrated detail and parts interaction on the whole kit , the fit is very good , the parts are very good and exposing the engine detail is requiring extreme concentration and parts familiarity.

All of the parts have to be worked with together to get it right.
Today I bit the bullet and cut the front and rear panels. Again a huge amount of thought has gone into the work and I used the finest blade of my razor saw.

One easy:

One not so easy:

Pretty rough!
But I'll sort it out, after all its only plastic...I'll just add this in here.
Here are the cut front /back engine pod panels. They have been cleaned up and drilled out  all of the screws , the front lower radiater drain slot ( some trouble there at the top , a very small hoop of plastic ) and thinning out beginning:

An issue right away if doing this , the rear wing struts are actually mounted in the rear top cowl , so something will have to be done there. Also the rear lower cowl does not reach the vertical rear bulkhead, nothing a strip of plastic wont solve. Pics to follow as my camera battery quit.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:04:24 PM by krow113 »

Offline krow113

« Reply #209 on: December 12, 2018, 04:44:47 AM »
Oil tank antics.
 I made a cradle/plate style of mount , not too obtrusive or extraordinary, just how I would go about supporting an oil tank:

Glued it:

You can see the minimal re-positioning:

A couple of vertical supports and some hardware detail embossed:

Based on the pic its not a bad effort , the oil tank cannot hover on the top of a pipe !
Looking closely at the pic it could be argued that the vertical supports angle back to the engine bearers , I'll leave that for someone else.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 06:44:58 AM by krow113 »