Author Topic: The Gotha  (Read 49350 times)

Offline gbrivio

Re: The Gotha
« Reply #210 on: December 12, 2018, 05:37:06 AM »
Beautiful, also troublesome to say the least. I don't know if I was able to near your great skills but this work is inspiring and a great deal of modelling tips.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline krow113

« Reply #211 on: December 13, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »
 Thanks G!
 Intense examination of the engine pod area has been going on for the last few days. I think alla the detail I want to add is possible , this includes 'the greaser ' , a genny and some wireing and hose/pipes for the air/fuel/cooling/ and oil systems. should be fun!
 here is the exposed engine sitting in place and the f/r lower cowls in place:

This one shows the gap at the rear lower cowl and the rear vertical bulkhead:

This is good stuff for anyone attempting the exposing of a Gotha engine. Feel free to point out any issues you can see.
 The genny was taken from the German accy tree offered by WNW , a pulley was fabbed as well as a bracket to hang it:

I drilled some holes for wires in the genny too.

Issues to date (and the cures ) with exposing a Gotha engine from most serious down:

-Rear V struts to top wing now have no mounting slots , they are part of the top rear cowl. This will be left until the top wing goes on. The upper cowl has been cleared of the mounts for the struts. Pics show the struts to be as the front are , coming off the 'ball' mount the Gemans used. I'll place the balls where they are needed.

-Two crossmembers to be fabbed and the kit ones cut off from the very top cowl cover. Part #D49 carries the 2 crossmembers. Looking at sprue D you can see a funny set of sprues on either end off the part, they look like half part half sprue. Use these , with some mods , to form the new crossmembers:

-Slim gap at the rear vertical bulkhead and the lower cowl. Strips of paper thin card can be used for this , thin out the cowl sides for perfect fit. Lower right:

-Front rigging points need to be fabbed with structure to support.
Work begins with the placement of a rod to see where the 2 rigging points are, these will need to be as close as poss for the rigging to look right:

-Front vertical bulkhead needs I/P marks removed.
This was done prior , but I mixed up the bulkheads , so I did it quickly in situ.
 -All cut cowls need a lot of thinning , cowl edge profiles need addressing ,especially the front upper cowl. Lots of removal inside the cowls.
Cowl work:

-Screw holes need to be drilled out in cowls.
 -Front upper cowl needs an edge replaced in the front circular section.

-Lower cowls need a flange attached where the screws go in.
 -Rad cap in top of the front cowl to be cut off and a hole drilled out.
 -Rad stem and cap to be fabbed for exposed rad.
 -Rad feed pipe to water pump to be fabbed.
 -Ugly seam at the back of the rad to be addressed.
Rad work:

Ugly seam filled and sanded . Also take note of the bottom of the rad , the mount surface is angled by the casting line. This allows the rad to rock back and forth. Not good. It wont matter on my exposed engine , but the fit into the upper front cowl is precise. I will glue the rad into the cowl rather than to the engine bearers. You can see the bottom of the one rad is leveled out. Both cowls and rads have had the cap detail removed and holes drilled and the new detail added:

Here is the parts layout as promised:

Some of the non exposed parts will need work to match the exposed ones , the rad is one of these parts. If your building non exposed  glue the rad into the cowl , and glue the gas guage into the cowl side.

I took my time with a lot of visual; checking and rechecking. All of the additions are of regular plastic stock. The top tubes are formed as shown. The front curved tube was wrapped around a hobby knife for a few days and then put into the required shape and softened with thin glue a few times until it stayed in shape. Under the top tubes I slid in a thin piece of brass so they would not glue to the jig. Don't build one pod and then try to expose the other , the full cowlings come in handy for checking and other uses you'll find out if you try this.
 I'm gonna move to paint , just the primer and see what happens. There is some assy after final color , the tubular frame is where i'm talking about. The 2 top tubes and 2 front lower rad diagonals , the rear strut extensions , will all be installed after the grey green.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 01:11:59 PM by krow113 »

Offline krow113

« Reply #212 on: December 16, 2018, 09:04:44 AM »
 Check the last post as I go through the steps required to expose a Gotha engine.  I will be adding to the list with copy and pics .

Never the less here are the engine air scoops on the lower rear cowl. I chose to leave them opn the sprue for opening up the holes:

A final cleaning up with a knife blade followed.

Genny position swapped. It was covering the oil sight glass on the other side and fills in nicely here:

Engine placards realized by WNW decals on HGW's p/e:

They could have been fitted better , but I'll clean up the edges after they set.
Moving quickly through some of these , I wanna get the engine into its final primary colors so I can get it into place for the final detailing onslaught.
 Engine placarded , still in primary colors:

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 03:07:14 AM by krow113 »

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #213 on: December 18, 2018, 03:31:12 AM »
That engine (along with everything else) looks fantastic.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #214 on: December 18, 2018, 04:06:28 PM »
Outstanding work an aditions. I will sit down and watch carefull.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline krow113

« Reply #215 on: December 18, 2018, 04:57:48 PM »
    Thank you Juan and Manni.
 Keeping on with the exposed engine area , I added some parts:

Pretty much conjecture on the parts , the only thing for sure is there is tubing and some mounts , but based on pics etc. I used some Grandt Line rivet heads and Aeroclub bezrels to replicate the ball mounts that struts attach to on Gothas.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:17:50 PM by krow113 »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #216 on: December 20, 2018, 09:10:27 AM »
All I can say is this is a continuing lesson in Modeling Excellence!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline krow113

« Reply #217 on: December 21, 2018, 04:25:03 AM »
 Thanks Richard and everyone else looking in.
 Pre mount engine detailing continues with a cheesy advance mechanism and a carb butterfly lever:

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #218 on: December 21, 2018, 07:19:44 AM »
Nice Steve,

I can’t get how neatly the wires attach to the spark plugs?

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline krow113

« Reply #219 on: December 21, 2018, 07:53:20 AM »
Thank you Guy.
The high tension leads are simply cyanoed , dead head to the resin plugs.  The plugs came with the lead attachment screw cast in place and out of all 12 none of the leads came loose or fell off.
Cut the lead wire as close to 90 degrees as possible and they will attach nicely. Then paint silver a scale 1/2" at the plug, to replicate the crimped jacket of the ring terminal.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 03:48:05 PM by krow113 »

Offline aliluke

« Reply #220 on: December 21, 2018, 12:41:55 PM »
Hi Steve
I continue to watch in awe of your research and skills. Keep it coming!

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline krow113

« Reply #221 on: December 21, 2018, 04:07:15 PM »
 Thank you , Alistair.

Supersonic crustaceans and an ominous formation of Noops on the horizon....

The engine detailing slogs on , I spent most of today adding details and then coming back tonight and removing them all , replacing with the fittings I originally wanted to use.
 Anyway... the greaser , which grease' the water pump bearings , is sposda be operated by the pilot during flight , gets mounted along with a bezel for the fuel gauge mount :

I also re-fitted the hot water return from the carb , fuel overflow fitting , fuel delivery fitting , and test fitted the assy numerous times:

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #222 on: December 22, 2018, 12:10:41 AM »
Incredible attention to detail Steve, very impressive! Your Optivisor must be much better then mine judging by the results you're showing here, X50 power at least. :o Great work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline krow113

« Reply #223 on: December 23, 2018, 04:34:28 AM »
 Thanks for the glowing accolades , Lance!

Banging out last minute gifts for customers has me a little tired , but ; Strike while the irons hot!

Detailing has continued. Clamps were replicated on the feed pipes , and as everyone says to do it now , the exhaust gets mounted:

Detailing is winding down until the engine gets put in place, then another round of it.

Offline krow113

« Reply #224 on: December 23, 2018, 03:46:41 PM »
Thanks for lookin'!

Giving my eyes a break somewhat and went to finishing the cowls. Some delicate profiling and matching. Holding the 2 parts together , it looks pretty good:

...and rad work continues. Removing the phallic blob representing the rad drain is a given if you clear out the oval slot in the front upper cowl. This will need to be replaced and starting with a pin and then some plastic rod:

These will have petcocks on the end, 2 of 5 that need to be made, hear that aftermarket ? , 5 petcocks needed for proper Gotha detailing.