Author Topic: The Gotha  (Read 49327 times)

Offline krow113

Re: The Gotha
« Reply #270 on: January 18, 2019, 07:39:32 PM »

This will be the final configuration for now. It looks a little too oily because it is , this is unfinished work , but a clear and easily restarted point. The ignition advance cable and throttle cable /mech are in place and look ok to me , a bit over scale but...meh. This engine is hooked up , oil , water , lube , electrical etc. No empty fittings. I cant put alla the steps and fittings and procedures for the exposing of an engine , its a little convoluted here at the end , making lists and knocking them down helped me.
 I'll throw these up , and take some more outside tomorrow:

Here are some notes for the work involved exposing a Gotha engine.

The Engine Bearers ; These can rotate along their length during curing. One of mine did , causing some grief. 2 'planks clamped across the top and bottom will keep them parallell in all planes. Rotation can be seen looking from font-back down the length of the bearer.

The Front Struts ; These are immediately in the way and in jeopardy. They are very weak in the lower end and should be installed at the same time as the side frame rails. There is a 'ball 'that is formed by the 4 parts joining , easy to see. Adding the front upper frame hoop will help shore them up from behind. A plate with the top holes laid out to pin them during assy. Red or yellow warning tape helps too.

The Rear Struts ; Removing the top rear cowl removes the mounts for these struts. Pics show the bare metal of the struts emerge from the fairings and extend down to the rear of the side frame rails. WNW has provided another set of 'balls' there , this is where those struts would mount. I'll cut off the pin at the bottom of the struts and insert a length to be determined at the introduction of the top wing.

The Engine Assy ;  The procedures outlined on page 3 and 7 of this thread regarding the a/m parts used on the top end , are viable. The templates and tools created take a lot of the guess work out of the use of these parts. The colored glue mix I highly recommend , I have been handling this assy by the rocker gear for most of this work and with little other than the removal of paint from the high points , has resulted in no issues. The top water pipe will need to be modded to clear the valve gear , I was able to tweak the kit part enough , barely , others can fab a new one . I can only recommend the resin a/m parts to very experienced modellers . The engine assy will drop straight down onto its mounts, good info for the multiply numerous times the assy will need to go in/out to detail properly.

The Engine Pod Panels ;  A number of options exist here to make your Gotha unique. The very top f-b panel would not be removed at all times, the panel provides a hinge mount for the lower scalloped panel to hinge up for access. These could be cut along the upwardly curved edge and 'hinged ' open. If you choose to not use the a/m engine gear this would be good for an engine start dio, and be very effective. Otherwise with good cleanup , the panels pop into place nicely. Remember to scrape the very bottom outside edges of the gas tanks , so the lower end of the panel goes all the way in. Keep the pod panels separate from each other! When it happens , you'll know why.

I'll add as I see fit to this list.

Also you may have noticed a thinning out of manufacturer's names , product names etc on this thread.
This is not a dis or any other kind of maliciously based thinking or act.

. After a session of this length a cleanup is in order . I have a comfortable stopping point and will need to get on with other work at this point.
Thanks for following along , I'll return as soon as The Gotha bug bites again.

Mess to cleanup:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 04:33:10 AM by krow113 »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #271 on: January 19, 2019, 09:22:45 AM »
You are a great Story Teller. Pause at just the moment you have us enthralled  ;D Looking forward to seeing you bitten by that Gotha Bug soon!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline krow113

« Reply #272 on: January 25, 2019, 04:01:15 PM »
Thanks RIII.....
 Gotha nicely sleeping , a EL raises its head:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 01:29:10 PM by krow113 »

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #273 on: January 26, 2019, 05:17:19 AM »

Jeroen is that your Gotha so predominant on the WNW customer model showcase?

Though we do share the same first name, I'm nowhere near as good as Jeroen Veen! So, unfortunately, no, it's not my Gotha...
(if it were, it would not fit in my display case and the kids would have wrecked it with a football or something -young boys and their energy levels!  ;D)

Jeroen

Offline krow113

« Reply #274 on: January 26, 2019, 08:15:13 AM »
Thanks Jeroen.
Makes no diff.

Offline zavod44

« Reply #275 on: February 03, 2019, 12:50:40 PM »
Hey Krow, you have any idea where the Fuel filler cap is on those fuel tanks? 

Offline krow113

« Reply #276 on: February 03, 2019, 01:23:42 PM »
Hey Krow, you have any idea where the Fuel filler cap is on those fuel tanks?
No as I didn't add that detail with no visual reference. But that was thinking in terms of the exposed engine. They wouldn't expose the whole engine to fill the tank.
Thinking on those lines , there are numerous access doors moulded into the side panels of the pod. This is most likely where the filler was, and would be at the front as well for max filling.
So theres a little direction and some good clues to go on , I think the very front little door is a good guess. But after doing as much acceptable detail as poss in the front , there is a mass of wires and pipes etc.
When I 'go back in' I ll see what it looks like , the model in stowage for the moment.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 01:35:23 PM by krow113 »

Offline krow113

« Reply #277 on: April 06, 2019, 09:07:50 AM »
Not back on this yet. Working on some things.
Some supply came in the form of more dio accy's and the bomb load for The Gotha:

Noseart ongoing:

And 20 model base' fabricated from 400 year old cedar leftover from a sign job:

Some of these will have laser burned details on them . like this cobblestone road burned into this base:

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #278 on: April 06, 2019, 08:11:21 PM »
Beautiful finished engine bays, and great updates overall.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #279 on: April 06, 2019, 08:11:36 PM »
Looking forward to when you get back to this one. The CSM omb cart and bombs should look great with your build. The nose art is Fantastic as are the bases.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline krow113

« Reply #280 on: September 08, 2019, 10:13:46 PM »
Thanks you guys.
When I get back on it I'll be doing the bulk of the work here:
https://www.facebook.com/Wingnut-Wings-Builders-Page-1297118540352413/?eid=ARBpZ6s8dC_TMc1109DlnixD_IUDtOu9iuKUPdank6qaXuXoCEx1rrG7wWztZz_ZUJSaj08kuRIxv4OV

It has been great fun watching this thread and the people visiting , sometimes 150 in one day ! When I first came here the owner/creator and I had some conversations about modelling and the level of work that was being done. Des was a good guy to talk to and he encouraged me to try and develop the skills he displayed . That encouragement resulted in putting the time in develop the skills and get into WW ! aircraft modelling.
Its not the same now.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 10:19:21 PM by krow113 »