Author Topic: The Gotha  (Read 49484 times)

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: The Gotha
« Reply #255 on: January 08, 2019, 10:47:57 AM »
Wow, I blinked and almost missed some major beautiful work.

Offline krow113

« Reply #256 on: January 09, 2019, 08:34:57 AM »
 Thanks Juan!

*********WARNING GRAPHIC DEPICTION OF A WW1 ENGINE BAY - MAY  NOT BE SUITABLE FOR ALL VIEWERS*******

So much fun...with something like 24 plus openings in the camshaft run , and exposed rocker gear to fling the oil , coupled with a 1/2" dia hose pipe oil feed , there's gonna be a mess that even a team of mechs wont be able to keep up with!

And like a teenager on prom night I stuck it in:

Still not finished.....
14 items on the final list for lines , hook-ups , etc.

..and because I'm just that kinda guy:

Wing center section mask proves itself nicely.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:10:23 AM by krow113 »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #257 on: January 09, 2019, 12:09:33 PM »
That engine Bay weathering is unbelievable !!!!!! Looks so real!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #258 on: January 09, 2019, 04:36:45 PM »
Yes, I agree! It looks so real.Superb.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #259 on: January 09, 2019, 05:57:34 PM »
Great all around. Detail, weathering, colouring... It will be a masterpiece, pardon me, it already is...
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline krow113

« Reply #260 on: January 09, 2019, 06:26:10 PM »
Przy , manni , RIII , many thanks.

14 on the list , knocked 2 off tonight , I did a tach cable and the water pipe to the top of the rad. This I modified from kit part # D40 , this was necessary to clear the Taurus (problematic to the end ) valve gear. It can be done by cutting and extending the short vertical section of the pipe. I used some small heat shrink tube to extend:

I should be able to knock the list down significantly tomorrow as the end is in sight for this part of the model.

Offline krow113

« Reply #261 on: January 10, 2019, 06:38:38 PM »
 Knocking down the list , so far the tach cable , greaser line , one oil line and the 2 'oops in place;

oh , and the top water line, which I did in a steel pipe rendition. I 'm pretty sure a pipe that long , holding hot water under pressure , with little support , if it was made of copper it would work harden in about a week and fracture. Such is the nature of copper.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #262 on: January 10, 2019, 11:14:51 PM »
All looks stunning in place! An Epic build for sure!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #263 on: January 11, 2019, 01:34:12 AM »
Can only echoe all the positive comments above: Really extraordinary!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #264 on: January 11, 2019, 04:41:25 AM »
Really great.
Wonderful and very convincing implemented engine and also the engine bay.
Nice, if someone dares to make things look used and dirty.
The engine pic's smell of Flugbenzin, hot oil and sprayed cooling water - the sound of the whirling Gotha prop's and ticketing valves is in the air.
BRAVO!

Servus
Bertl

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2019, 05:48:18 AM »
Really good looking indeed! I like you idea with the heat-shrink tube too, that just got filed away :)

Offline krow113

« Reply #266 on: January 15, 2019, 02:07:45 PM »
RIII , Thanks as usual for your time commenting.
Andreas , thanks for your encouragement.
Bertyl , you were intrinsic in the detailing of the engine shown here , many thanks.
Jeroen , thank you as well. The rubber connector pipe shown is evident in a few pics , I'm sure you would have spotted it at some point!
By the way I use 1/32" brushed silver pinstripe tape for the clamp/bands.

Very well then:

Moving forward , the list of additions to The Gotha exposed engine pod rounds out with the fabrication of the advance cable and the throttle cable:

Obviously yet to be installed.
 Feed and return lines from the oil tank, the tach cable , the greaser line , the water feed and the upper structural tubes ( the 'oops) , all in their unfinished form , are evident in the following pics:

I do not hesitate and willingly admit many of the additions are , not fanciful , but educated guess' as to the particular details of the additions. The oil lines for example , draped down without strain relief or mounting , its just the way things were done in the beginning. Best of all I'm having a gas doing this work!
 Next up we'll finish the additions and rig that thing.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:38:49 PM by krow113 »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #267 on: January 16, 2019, 12:33:27 AM »
Steve,
    The detailing and particularly the weathering of the engines is nothing short of spectacular. This is going to be a truly "one of a kind" replica of the real thing, just great work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #268 on: January 17, 2019, 06:23:12 AM »
By the way I use 1/32" brushed silver pinstripe tape for the clamp/bands.

Thanks!

The whole thing (almost) together really does look superb, it's pretty much a model on it's own. :)

Offline krow113

« Reply #269 on: January 18, 2019, 06:27:28 AM »
Lance and Jeroen - Thanks muchly!

Approaching the kit as a series of kits has helped me gain a handle on the scope and approach to the work , a workable strategy for me.

Jeroen is that your Gotha so predominant on the WNW customer model showcase?

As the work on the fuse and wing center winds into a stopping point I have started to look ahead into the next step of the model.

The Deathhead.

I'm considering this as a part of the model , the approach being at first a little muddled but after 5 or so years thinking about it has helped clear and stabilize the thinking. There are some subtle reasons the deathhead is so effective on the Gotha , the artist , a smart cookie , integrated the lines of the fuse nose into the work, creating a wholly disagreeable , ghastly and so cool image:

Right away we can see the lines of the artwork , the temples , the cheekbone ,  parallelling the lines of the fuse nose. I can see the first workings of the masks to come and this is most likely going to be soem of the coolest work I'll do on a model. This is of course a half image , doubled and mirrored , and with an ALPS printer could become a decal. I'm a paint guy when it comes o custom graphics, so masks will be developed first.

C'mon , get some cooool!
 Hopefully a little 'cool' injected into modelling wont set the world on its edge.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 06:43:21 AM by krow113 »