Author Topic: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery  (Read 55579 times)

Offline GazzaS

Re: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery
« Reply #180 on: May 29, 2018, 06:41:35 PM »
That looks awesome Gary!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #181 on: May 30, 2018, 02:57:59 AM »
Hello, Krow, RAG and Gaz!

Thanks very much for visiting and for your very kind  comments. I'm happy with the build so far and hope that my luck continues. I'm just starting on the decaling for the elevator and horizontal stabs, and ought to be done in a day or two. Fingers crossed!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #182 on: June 13, 2018, 11:10:30 AM »
Hi, Everyone,

Well, I've finally got the horizontal stabs and the elevator decaled, each of these three fitted, the elevator control cables fitted and the two access covers fitted to the tail area. This has taken so long for two reasons: I cocked up the decaling of the stabs and had to get replacement decals (Thanks, Richard, for your speedy response); and we lost our 13 1/2 year old Golden Retriever on Sunday last. We're certainly going to miss our faithful Jake, but it appears that age has indeed taken its toll.  :(

Here are a few pictures of the finished tail section. Nothing especially special, except that it's finally finished:

Our Jake ~

Believe it or not, I've got the underside of one of the lower wing sections decaled. Next comes the PE paneling, then the RFC roundel, then the upper surface, then the build continues apace. Apologies for having had to slow the already glacial advance recently, but I hope to make up a bit of ground over the next few days. Fingers crossed! Thanks for visiting and best of luck to all Forumites on your current and future builds!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #183 on: June 13, 2018, 06:05:31 PM »
Gary,
    My condolences on the loss of your faithful friend.  It's not fair that they can't live as long as us.

Your Albatros looks sweet.  All of that decal work has really paid off.

Gaz

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #184 on: June 13, 2018, 10:36:52 PM »
Gary,
    My condolences on the loss of your faithful friend.  It's not fair that they can't live as long as us.
Your Albatros looks sweet.  All of that decal work has really paid off.
Gaz

Thanks for your two thoughts, Gaz. As to Jake, and as you say, if there are only two states to be in, we hope he's in the canine version of Queensland.  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #185 on: June 13, 2018, 10:37:44 PM »
Sorry for the Loss of Jake. These Pets become more like Family and their Loss hits us hard.

The Lozenge application looks perfect. Well done!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #186 on: June 14, 2018, 01:09:15 AM »
Thanks, Rick, on both counts. I'm glad to get back into the Albi build and into facets of the work with which I have at least a passing understanding!  ;)

Great jobs on your Albatri as well. Excellent work!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #187 on: June 14, 2018, 02:18:20 AM »
Thanks, Rick, on both counts. I'm glad to get back into the Albi build and into facets of the work with which I have at least a passing understanding!  ;)

Great jobs on your Albatri as well. Excellent work!  8)

I am not familiar with this aircraft and something has been puzzling me. The roundel on the fuselage is not where the cross would have been located. Was the cross somehow removed or is it overpainted?
RAGIII

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #188 on: June 14, 2018, 02:51:03 AM »
"I am not familiar with this aircraft and something has been puzzling me. The roundel on the fuselage is not where the cross would have been located. Was the cross somehow removed or is it overpainted?"

I'm not sure myself. However, I recall reading somewhere that the a/c had a broad green/white band around the fuselage just aft of the cockpit. With no sign of that marking or the fuselage black cross on the RFC photos, I think that the RFC repair crew removed them both, resanded and revarnished the fuselage, and then applied the roundels. As Rowan remarks in his "Captured!" notes, "The British cockades are all outlined in white and contrary to most captured machines, the British markings are most carefully applied." Perhaps this care carried over to the removal of the German markings and the refinishing of the fuselage.  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #189 on: June 14, 2018, 03:21:21 AM »
"I am not familiar with this aircraft and something has been puzzling me. The roundel on the fuselage is not where the cross would have been located. Was the cross somehow removed or is it overpainted?"

I'm not sure myself. However, I recall reading somewhere that the a/c had a broad green/white band around the fuselage just aft of the cockpit. With no sign of that marking or the fuselage black cross on the RFC photos, I think that the RFC repair crew removed them both, resanded and revarnished the fuselage, and then applied the roundels. As Rowan remarks in his "Captured!" notes, "The British cockades are all outlined in white and contrary to most captured machines, the British markings are most carefully applied." Perhaps this care carried over to the removal of the German markings and the refinishing of the fuselage.  8)

Thanks for the answer. Makes sense to me now  ;D
RAGIII

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2018, 09:48:07 PM »
 A bit of news rather than a formal update: I ordered a 3D-printed Shapeways Teves & Braun radiator for the Albi a couple of weeks ago, and it arrived safely yesterday morning. In accordance with the instructions on the Shapeways website (found here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/XCNWU3F64/1-32-teves-braun-radiator?optionId=56454656) I've cleaned the two parts in my ultrasonic cleaner, lightly airbrushed the rad with Tamiya NATO Black, and started the cleaning out of the core slats with thin strips of 600 grade wet and dry sandpaper. This will take some time. Here's the very solid packaging with small rectangular rad at upper left in the box:

Have a great weekend, and thanks for visiting!  8)

Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2018, 10:02:28 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your radiator. I installed mine yesterday. All I need to do is find some appropriate PE to use for the metal straps on the corners. Any Ideas?
RAGIII

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #192 on: June 16, 2018, 11:21:22 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your radiator. I installed mine yesterday. All I need to do is find some appropriate PE to use for the metal straps on the corners. Any Ideas?
RAGIII

I thought that I'd cut a set from aluminum foil or other thin, soft metal. IIRC, they are simple rectangles (possible ignorance showing here!). That said, I'll be happy to take any guidance on the topic from you.  ;D

I'm following the directions as found on the website, but I'd like to know if you have found a different and perhaps more effective way of clearing the core slats. I've been able gently to break through about three "gaps" with the  thin 600-grade sandpaper strips. How did you clear these areas? TIA for any guidance!  8)

Edit: I found this on Bo's thread: "For cleaning between the slats -- don't use a razor blade. Instead, cut a 2mm (or so) strip from pie tin aluminum and use that to push the gunk out. Gentle does it. If the strip gets all bent up, make a new one. Water soapy water (Dawn works well) and an airbrush with the pressure set a bit higher than you'd paint with also is helpful. Mind the angle at all times. Once you have the gunk out you can go back with thin strips of 600 sandpaper in the same way."

More grist for the mill!  8)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 06:34:18 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #193 on: June 17, 2018, 08:07:41 AM »
What's wrong with the WnW radiators?

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #194 on: June 17, 2018, 10:55:57 AM »
What's wrong with the WnW radiators?

Nothing, as far as they go. But the "real" radiators had spaces between the transverse "slats." With the coolant running through the slats, the spaces allowed air to rush between the slats and cool the coolant, which then recirculated through the engine to keep it within the heat parameters. The WNW kit radiators "suggest" the space between the slats. The Shapeways radiator has the actual spaces between the slats (plus other details such as the separate filler cap), thereby giving a much more accurate look to the radiator. More work, to be sure, but a better rendition of the radiator.  Scroll down to reply #81 at this link (https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9301.75) and following, and you'll see the difference. 8)
Cheers!
Gary