Author Topic: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery  (Read 56016 times)

Offline GazzaS

Re: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery
« Reply #195 on: June 17, 2018, 11:32:05 AM »
Thanks Gary...  I understand now.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #196 on: June 17, 2018, 12:38:32 PM »
Thanks Gary...  I understand now.

No worries, Gaz, my friend. All part of the hobby and our Forum. Glad to help!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #197 on: June 23, 2018, 12:58:17 PM »
Hello, Everyone,

I'm in process of decaling the upper and lower surfaces of the lower wing sections. I've also started on the fitting of the HGW PE details on the wing sections. I'm almost done so I'll post a few pictures in a few days.

While waiting for one of the decal sections to settle earlier today, I decided to continue cutting out the radiator opening in preparation for the eventual fitting of the Shapeways Teves & Braun radiator. So I used a dental burr to grind out most of the plastic, then used a new craft blade to cut out most of the remaining plastic up to the edges of the opening, then finished off with a medium sanding stick. Not expecting to go further (this was my first attempt at doing this work) on a whim I thought that I'd see how close the Shapeways rad would fit. Well, you could have knocked me off my modelling chair when the rad clicked into place and fitted perfectly! Here are a few photos:

The opening cut out:

The rad in place:

The rad:

I simply could not believe that the rad snapped into place almost effortlessly. This is a clear example of blind luck on my part. I probably should have purchased a lottery ticket instead today, but I'll surely take the "rad in place" result!

Thanks for visiting. Wing photos in a few days. Have a great weekend, everyone!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #198 on: June 23, 2018, 03:15:14 PM »
Sorry for your loss.
The completed fuselage looks really good and this radiator job is promising.
Giuseppe

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #199 on: June 23, 2018, 09:06:40 PM »
Giuseppe, thank you for your very kind remarks, and thanks for visiting!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #200 on: June 23, 2018, 09:49:59 PM »
You have done an excellent job on mounting your radiator. Much more clean than my work  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #201 on: June 23, 2018, 10:45:43 PM »
You have done an excellent job on mounting your radiator. Much more clean than my work  8)
RAGIII

Thanks, Rick. I certainly appreciate your comment, but I must say that any success I've had with the rad is due to sheer luck rather than a high skill level. I saw a video on Youtube showing how a modeller used a dental bur to grind out a section of Spitfire wing in order to fit his aftermarket resin gun and ammunition chambers. It looked a mess initially, but after he trimmed the area with a craft knife and sanding stick, the aftermarket bits fitted quite nicely. At my age I'll grab any hints and tips that I can find!  ;D

And his method, plus a fair bit of luck, worked for me. Thanks again, and best of luck as you progress on your Albatri!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #202 on: June 23, 2018, 10:47:04 PM »
   That's impressive Gary and speaks volumes for the product not to mention your work. Have you considered the Shapeways wheels and spinner for this one?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #203 on: June 24, 2018, 07:48:00 AM »
Nice!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #204 on: June 24, 2018, 10:56:36 AM »
Hey, Gaz: thanks!  ;D

Lance: I was hoping that I could use it, but I need a Wolff propeller and the spinner that Bo offers is for an Axial prop.Seems that the various spinners are produced specifically for a given prop so the Shapeways spinner won't fit. The wheels offered are the "rubberless" type, which were not fitted to D4545/17.   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #205 on: June 24, 2018, 01:03:49 PM »
    Silly me Gary, knowing your talent for research I should know better then to ask! Great work, and looking better with every update!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #206 on: June 24, 2018, 01:55:33 PM »
    Silly me Gary, knowing your talent for research I should know better then to ask! Great work, and looking better with every update!
Cheers,
Lance

Well, Good Friend, I've often said that the only silly question is the one not asked. One of the several props in the kit is a Wolff offering, so the spinner in the kit has to meet the requirement. I might just mount the spinner/prop assembly by friction only, in case a dedicated Wolff prop and spinner come onto the market in future (which will certainly be the case if I do not friction-mount the s/p assembly!)  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #207 on: June 25, 2018, 12:46:11 PM »
Hello, Everyone.

As promised, here are two photos showing the completion of the lower wing section decaling along with most of the PE installed using 5-minute epoxy. I found out that using even a mild setting solution can cause problems. Some Micro-Set very quickly virtually melted one of the decal sections in less time than it takes to say "Dammit!" :o Probably a case of over-confidence, as I've been using the Micro-Sol/Set for quite a while, even on my Fokker DVII of a few years ago, with no worries. Fortunately I had a spare section to hand, so all was, and is, well. From now on, warm water is the medium for decals!

I'm having a small problem with a couple of PE bits, but I'll post a short request for assistance later tomorrow. I'm off for a four-hour round trip tomorrow, back (I hope) early evening. Thanks for visiting!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #208 on: June 25, 2018, 02:02:39 PM »
Looks fantastic! Your lozenge application is superb even if you had a small glitch.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #209 on: June 25, 2018, 11:21:09 PM »
Lovely looking model Gary,

The lozenge looks great.

Cheers,

Dave