Author Topic: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery  (Read 56011 times)

Offline Trackpad

"Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery
« on: February 03, 2018, 03:34:47 AM »
Hi,

It's been a while since I was active on the Forum. Other activities such as church and contract work limited my time. However I'm still in the mix, as it were: my son's CC130E Hercules as flown in Afghanistan, an M113A1 for my Regimental Museum, and the Blue Max Dolphin that I've promised to Rowan Broadbent have all maintained my direct connection with The Hobby.

A couple of months ago I started a WNW Albatros DV, and allocated almost two years to get it ready for a regional competition. My intent was to do a pretty good job on this build. Those who know me know that I am a self-described "comfortably competent" modeller: guys like Przemol and Bertl have nothing to fear from me!

That changed this morning when I first heard of Des' passing. Des was a tower of strength to many of us on the Forum, certainly including me. I have already expressed condolences to the Delatorre family from my wife Sharon and me. Subsequently I remembered that, some time ago, a number of us did a "commemoration build" on the passing of Dan-San Abbott. I then decided, with all due respect to the memory of Des and to his family, to use my Albatros build as a salute to Des and what he has done for me and so many of us. I'll be trying to stretch my modelling limits as far as I can.

I hope and trust that this personal tribute will find favour among our membership. Des, this one's for you!

Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline rhwinter

Re: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 04:12:05 AM »
Wonderful idea, Gary! And a most interesting topic you chose! I am looking forward to following this thread.
Richard

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 04:22:00 AM »
    A wonderful gesture Gary, and you've expressed it so well. Having been party to your plans for this Build, almost since day one with the falling together of our little group, the "Canadian Mafia" as Rowan so aptly branded us, I know it's a great project and will result in a superb Build. I am looking forward to your future posts and will be cheering you on every step of the way.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 04:52:13 AM »
Here is what I accomplished before taking on a quick (and almost finished) contract build in early January. Some of the pictures are very slightly out of sequence. Mea culpa: hadn't planned on doing the thread so soon!

Lozenge fabric backing fitted, including nail-heads and drilled out mounting holes for the seat supports, small instrument cluster using kit decals and AeroScale bezels, floorboard wood-grained with a home-made decal, two seat-mount sections made from aftermarket rod (never could get the seam lines off very thin kit parts properly!), the seat and two bulkheads.

The RB Productions seat-belt set assembled with the metal fittings painted Gunze Sangyo RLM 02. Very good seat-belts and easily assembled.

Bulkheads and fabric backing assembled. Wood-grain effect on the interior surfaces using the tried and true oil paint method.

Where we stand right now.The control column is dry-fitted to see just how it would sit, the instrument wires will be bent, spindled, twisted and beaten into place along the right surface of the fuselage interior up to the nearest bulkhead groove to them. BTW, the bulkhead grooves were taped over to ensure that no paint got into them and thereby make it a problem to fit the bulkheads as they should. The engine compartment is painted RLM 02 as some protection for the wood against oil or other engine liquid spillage.

I'm almost finished my current contract build, so I should be back on this thread inside a week or ten days. Until then, thanks for visiting!  8)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 05:55:42 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 07:26:00 AM »
Hello, Richard and Lance,

Thanks very much for your kindness and encouragement. More progress on the M113A1 today: Dullcote, dusting and antenna fitted so far. Might get it done faster than even I expected. Richard, this is the contract build I'm doing now for a museum. Des must be prodding me to finish it up schnell and get back to some "real" modelling!  8)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 05:36:59 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 07:50:17 AM »
Wow Gary, Des would be proud.  Great start to this special tribute.  Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 11:45:40 PM »
Well, this is a surprise and a half. With a little more time than I expected to devote to this museum project yesterday, I actually finished it (well, got to the 99.5% solution) by late evening. As it doesn't get presented until late May I can now continue the Albi build with a clear conscience.

Thanks for the help, Des. Nice to know that you're still helping me along!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline mgunns

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 11:55:57 PM »
Gary:  I echo Lances sentiments on this build and "good on yer" for doing it.  I too have been following this and look forward to your progress on it.  It's a nice gesture and when you look at it,  you will have that memory of Des and all that he did for this side of the hobby. 
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 07:49:28 AM »
Wonderful idea, Gary! And a most interesting topic you chose! I am looking forward to following this thread.
Richard

Exactly my thoughts.

Besides, I feel that all our builds which will be shown in the coming months here will have the Des' spirit behind. I managed to have some time at the modelling desk today and could not stop thinking of our Host and Mentor who was taken so prematurely from us...

But, Gary, that
Those who know me know that I am a self-described "comfortably competent" modeller: guys like Przemol and Bertl have nothing to fear from me!
is far too much for me. First of all your builds are by no means lesser than mine. But most of all, my builds are light years behind what Bertl used to show us.

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 08:29:22 AM »
Ah, Przemol my kind friend, you pay me a wonderful compliment for which I gratefully thank you. However, if you will permit me I might add that, if you are a few light years behind Bertl I think that I am perhaps still several hundred miles behind you. All we have to do is to visit your immaculate build at the following link. Congratulations on an outstanding model and an excellent method of displaying it!  ;D   https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8816.0
Cheers!
Gary

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 08:44:11 AM »
Ah, Przemol my kind friend, you pay me a wonderful compliment for which I gratefully thank you. However, if you will permit me I might add that, if you are a few light years behind Bertl I think that I am perhaps still several hundred miles behind you. All we have to do is to visit your immaculate build at the following link. Congratulations on an outstanding model and an excellent method of displaying it!  ;D   https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8816.0

Thank you, Gary, for your compliments, too. :-)
But let me place my bid - that model you showed just above is at least as good as the one you linked  :D
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 09:33:35 AM »
What a wonderful idea for a tribute, and a great choice of kit. I'll be following this with much interest.

I'd love to see your model of your son's Herc, too. Will you be posting photos of that project anywhere?
Zac in NZ

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 12:22:43 PM »
Looking forward to this one, Gary! An excellent tribute to Des. The bits in progress look great!

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 01:38:12 PM »
What a wonderful idea for a tribute, and a great choice of kit. I'll be following this with much interest.

I'd love to see your model of your son's Herc, too. Will you be posting photos of that project anywhere?

Hi, Kiwi,

Two Herc shots under construction. The first one has just about all of the several thousand (it seems like!) decals in place. The second shows the lightened effect I'm putting on the wing-walk areas: the a/c was in Afghanistan and was really covered with dust. The w/w areas were non-skid and so held more of the dust than the smoother air frame. I work toward completion of this build "now and then," with the goal of successful completion by perhaps midsummer 2018.

Cheers, and thanks for visiting!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 09:11:57 AM »
2 great builds under way !!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.