Author Topic: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery  (Read 56007 times)

Offline Trackpad

Re: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 11:55:31 AM »
2 great builds under way !!!

Ed

Hi, Ed,

Happy New Year to you and yours, and thanks for visiting!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 05:18:57 PM »
Thanks Gary, the Herky Bird looks great!
Zac in NZ

Online RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 01:01:09 AM »

Ed

I agree with my Amigo! The Albatros interior is looking awesome. I am doing one now and hope mine looks as good when done!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 12:25:33 PM »

Ed

I agree with my Amigo! The Albatros interior is looking awesome. I am doing one now and hope mine looks as good when done!
RAGIII

Thanks, RAGIII, for your very kind comment!

I've made some progress just forward of the cockpit over the past few days. The first two images below show the ammunition and cartridge recovery boxes attached to their bulkhead, and then the fuel tank attached to the other side of the same bulkhead. The fuel tank is built by joining two parts together which forms a seam right around the structure. Of the three "widgets" on the top of the tank, the two smaller ones fall right along the seam. Sanding and smoothing the seam in that area would immediately lead to damage to these two items. Accordingly, I cut them both off, smoothed the seam with no damage to the large item, then used my punch set to make two replacement "widgets" which were quickly glued into place. As to the black hose assembly: yes, I will paint the last 1/8th inch at the bottom!

The third image shows a test fit of the structure into the right fuselage. So far, so good. So-o-o...

...we go the full nine yards and check the fit when the fuselage halves are buttoned up. Well, taped up! We look to be good at this point, so tomorrow Ill glue the structure into place on the right fuselage half and retape the two fuse halves so the the left side acts as a "splint" to hold the structure in place while the glue dries/cures.

The next few days will deal with the rest of the cockpit items, and then comes the engine and its fitting into the fuselage. More to follow. Thanks very much for visiting!   8)

Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Online RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 12:54:09 AM »
Outstanding progress! Looking forward to your next update.
RAGIII

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 01:40:47 AM »
Outstanding progress! Looking forward to your next update.
RAGIII

Thx, RAGIII! Now, I could say that "this morning I finally got a cushion fitted to the pilot's seat, and the structure noted above is now glued into place," but that's kinda small stuff, took about four minutes. I'll just leave them for a more robust posting!  ;D Have a great day!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 04:51:34 AM »
Hello, Everyone,

Well, I'm making better progress than I expected. I got a bit more time over the past two days so the cockpit is pretty much done. The following three photos give various views of where we are now. I'm satisfied with the result, having shamelessly filched a few added ideas from Des' Albatros Build Log. There are a few gaffes here and there but if I turn out the lights no one can see them!  ;) 

I found the RB seat-belts a very good item. I just have to dampen them a smidge more to get that "worn and weary" look. And I finally got a cushion for the pilot! The scratchbuilt white-handled item (not sure just what it was for) is one of the details from Des' Log (he did a better job on his, though!). The joystick caused a few minor headaches, due mainly to my hamfisted lack of coordination, but the result is acceptable to my elderly eyes. So far I'm enjoying this build quite a bit just by slowing down, focusing on the challenge at hand and dealing with it as well as I can. All is good, all is well!  ;D                                                           

The next step in the saga is the engine. This may turn out to be the challenge that broke the camel's back because I've bitten the bullet and purchased a number of engine updates, just to say that I tried to use them (which I've never done before!). Super-detailing? Well, it might not be "super" but I do hope that it will be somewhat "detailing!" Here's a photo of the various weapons I have in the "Engine Arsenal." Wish me luck!  :)

Thanks for visiting. Have a great weekend, and I'll post the next update over the next week or so as we progress through the engine build.  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 05:19:29 AM »
Great update Gary, and some VERY nice work. The macro photos  show a remarkably clean finish in the midst of some terrific detail work, those fuel selector switches are really nicely presented. That "white handled item" you've done so nicely is the auxiliary throttle, good catch as it's often missed. She's going to be a beauty!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 07:17:58 AM »
Hey, Lance, thanks for the visit and your very kind comments.

Your note on the Auxiliary Throttle drove me to look back at one of my photos. In doing so, I noticed a very faint line running from the Aux Throttle roughly down to the cushion area. Checking back on the build I found a very fine hair-like thread in place that I missed heretofore and which has since been consigned to Thread Hades. I would have kept it in place, but it wasn't an exact 1/32nd scale thread!  ;D

Have a great weekend, my friend!  8)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:35:12 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 08:47:46 AM »
Gary,
    I want to correct my previous statement about the "auxiliary throttle"; another member advises its an emergency engine shutdown or cut-off control. I was close but apparently my reference is incorrect! As for your "hair like thread" Wonderdog" is shedding like crazy presently, I wouldn't doubt some of it may have drifted your way with the storm winds! Couldn't be Jake!? ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 08:52:24 AM »
Wow Gary, the office looks great.  Cannot wait for all those details on the engine.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 09:49:36 AM »
Beautiful interior work and nice job on the Emergency Engine cutoff handle! Looking forward to your next update!
RAGIII

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 11:30:05 AM »
@Lance: thanks for the update on the throttle cutoff. I saw it on Des' Build Log and figured that, if he's got it there then it must belong there! Doesn't matter what it's called or what it does: put-it-in-the-cockpit-NOW!  ;D

@Juan:  Yes, me too. I'll be quite happy if they all get to where they ought to go with relatively little trouble!  ;)

@RAGIII: Thanks for the thumbs up, my friend. Work on the engine has just started but I'll be three days working (computer simulation exercises) next week: build time will be limited. Then one day off followed by six more days working. The engine will take a while, methinks!

Have great weekends, All!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 06:51:26 PM »
WOW, so far, Gary: It‘s a pleasure to me, watching your Albie coming together so nicely!

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 11:05:54 PM »
WOW, so far, Gary: It‘s a pleasure to me, watching your Albie coming together so nicely!

RH, thanks for your very kind comment.  The engine is underway (very early innings yet) and progress is being made. Painting three colours onto thirteen spark-plugs, each about 6/100ths of an inch tall, was an experience, I must say!  :o

Thanks for visiting!  8)
Cheers!
Gary