Author Topic: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery  (Read 56163 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery
« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2018, 08:21:51 AM »
Yes sorry, armour - two tracks or a half track......

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #166 on: May 21, 2018, 07:03:47 AM »
The experimentation is done and I’ve pretty much got my version of the “nail method” sorted. It’s based on this YouTube tutorial put out by HGW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b56iLjL0oo

I figured that the producers of the sheet would know how to use it even though their printed directions were slightly "tilted." So I watched this video three or four times, taking notes and working out the process. Key points:

a.   Use Mr. Mark Softer;
b.   Be sure to wipe down the surface of the model with a damp cloth prior to applying the decals;
c.   Be sure that you squeeze out excess water and Softer from under the carrier film once the decal is in place, further assuring that every rivet/nail head makes solid contact with the model surface; and
d.   Leave the decal film on the model for an optimum time of around 8 hours (rather than 2, 4, 12 or 24 hours, or longer).

I applied the nail patterns to either side of the vertical stabilizer yesterday at 0700 AM and stripped off the carrier film at +- 1600 PM. No worries even though nine hours had passed. By comparison, a prior test of 24 hours had nails not adhering and the decal film difficult to remove.

Today I applied the two nail patterns that run horizontally along the fuselage sides. I'll strip off the carrier film around 2200 tonight. This is one "fun twist" to the decals, in that you have to plan where you’ll be eight hours after applying the decal film and what might be happening at that place and time!

And (in case you really wanted to know!) I painted the upper surface of the two lower wing sections gloss white yesterday (just for something different to do!).  ;D

I feel pretty comfortable with this technique now, which brings to mind an old quote from my earlier life: "If your advance is really going well...it's an ambush." Thanks for visiting!  8)

Edit: fuselage clear backing removed 2130 local time. All is well!  8)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:39:49 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #167 on: May 21, 2018, 06:48:52 PM »
Love the nail patterns!  Not sure If I'd be game to do it myself.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2018, 11:46:12 PM »
Really awesome results. Can't say enough!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2018, 03:24:59 AM »
From my overlook, I can't see an ambush in sight, Gary.  It's perfect!  Like my Amigo, Rick said, can't say enough.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2018, 06:28:07 AM »
Hello Gaz, Rick and Bud, and thanks very much for your kind comments. So far pretty much so good, but I learned another lesson today as I applied four "sets" of nails: when HGW says "warm water" they mean WARM! Not Warm/Hottish, or Warm/Coolish, but just simply lukewarm, tepid, comfortable. I have an old coffee cup warmer on my work bench for heating water, and this AM I left it longer than I should have as I warmed the water for the carrier film on several nail sets. Result? Warm/Hottish. Effect? One edge of the first carrier film started to buckle up and crinkle with the extra heat, almost sealing some of the "nails" in the folds.:o Fortunately I can panic in a very controlled manner and was able to get almost all of the carrier film straightened out before it really started to grip the paneling. Needless to say, the other three "sets" got the water temperature dialed back a bit!

So the two sets either side of the cockpit and the two sets either side of the rear u/c are in place as of 1000 this AM, scheduled for carrier film removal around 1800 tonight. I was also able to get the dorsal set in place later in the day, so that carrier film gets removed around 2100 tonight. The only remaining nails are cut from the "free lines" on the sheet, and six of them (at various lengths) get fitted to the ventral surface tonight or first thing tomorrow. I'll be interested to see if these sections will match the ventral panel lines, as the panel lines may have a distinct curve to them and the sections are straight.

I'd feel a lot more daring if this sheet were still in production. As it is, if I cock it up I have no fallback other than trying to represent the nails with tiny impressions using a lead pencil!

But we're almost home now and so far, so good. Thanks to everyone for your very kind support and forbearance as I muddle through this phase of the build. I very much appreciate it!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2018, 06:40:34 AM »
Looking very good, impressive nails.
Giuseppe

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #172 on: May 24, 2018, 07:31:39 AM »
Looking very good, impressive nails.
Giuseppe

Thank you, Giuseppe, and thank you as well for visiting!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #173 on: May 24, 2018, 07:52:59 AM »
At long last, gentlemen, Operation NAILS is now complete. I fitted the five ventral "free lines" yesterday, then applied two thin coats of Future/Pledge (1:1 FP/IPA 99%) last night. All is well today.

Here are a couple of photos.

Not the best photo in the world but you can see sections of the nail pattern on the vertical stabilizer, the rear of the u/c fairing and some just forward of the horizontal stabilizer attachment point:

This is a better image showing the "diamond" nail pattern under the cockpit. The upper edge of this set was the one that got wrinkled due to higher than necessary heat with the decal water. The pattern looks all right, though: I really dodged a bullet that morning!  :-[

Continuing the advance, I'll now look to place the various PE parts and decals onto the fuselage, then get the u/c fitted so that the Albi can stand on its own two...wheels! Concurrently, and when I feel the need to shoot paint all over the place, I'll look to finish painting the gloss white onto the wings in preparation for the Aviattic decals.

Thanks very much to everyone who assisted and supported both the plywood decal application and the nails application phases. I very much appreciate the input. More updates in future, thanks for visiting, and the best of luck to all as you progress with your latest builds!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Online RAGIII

« Reply #174 on: May 24, 2018, 08:54:56 AM »
A very involved process but the results are worth the effort! Tempting me to try this someday!
RAGIII

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2018, 01:34:12 AM »
RB and RAG, thanks for visiting. I'm glad to get back to what I (more or less) know how to do: decals, attaching PE, losing PE to the carpet monster...all the fun things! I've got a busy weekend but I hope to get an update posted by Sunday afternoon my time.

Have a superb weekend, everyone!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #176 on: May 28, 2018, 10:06:41 PM »
The nails are very effective. Visible but not overwhelming.

Steve

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2018, 07:56:38 AM »
Hello, Everyone,

Sorry to be late with the promised update over the weekend. Reunions do tend to take up more time than expected!  ;)

I've spent the last several days adding various bits and bobs to the fuselage, as follows:

Here is the first decal to be applied (no surprise!  ;D). The nail pattern helped with its alignment,

The next two images record the engine and oil tank fitted into their places,

A detailed image of decals and PE attached/applied on the left side just rear of the cockpit,

And two final photos of both sides of the fuselage,

The elevator cable control openings all have their PE housings fitted as well. When my next set of surface details arrive from HGW I'll be replacing the few small parts that went missing in action and fitting two access panels under the horizontal stabilizers. In the meantime I'll probably start with the tail control surfaces and keep adding fuselage details. For example, a flare cartridge rack (empty) has yet to be fitted to the right side of the fuselage, just below the cockpit.

Steve, thanks for visiting and for your kind comment. And thanks very much in advance to all future visitors!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline krow113

« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2018, 08:31:05 AM »
Slow and steady progress and looking very nice.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2018, 08:40:07 AM »
Brilliant work! Looks absolutely Stunning with the roundels applied!
RAGIII