Author Topic: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery  (Read 56027 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery
« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2018, 07:29:36 AM »
   "And what's this? You have an Armoured Corps friend?

I think you may know him.......... :)
Cheers,
 Lance

Offline Europapete

« Reply #226 on: July 10, 2018, 08:33:40 AM »
Thank you for an excellent tutorial on the Albie, Gary.  Been taking especial notice on how you fitted Bo's radiator in, given me idea's for a few other builds. Also the walk through for the P.E., good work. Regards Pete in RI.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #227 on: July 10, 2018, 09:08:03 AM »
  "And what's this? You have an Armoured Corps friend?

I think you may know him.......... :)
Cheers,
 Lance

Oh. That guy. Yeah, I've seen him around...!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #228 on: July 10, 2018, 09:12:35 AM »
Thank you for an excellent tutorial on the Albie, Gary.  Been taking especial notice on how you fitted Bo's radiator in, given me idea's for a few other builds. Also the walk through for the P.E., good work. Regards Pete in RI.

Hi, Pete. Well, we do what we can, and I'm glad that what I've posted has helped you out. This Forum has helped me as well, so it's just a case of me passing on some information and being happy when it does someone some good. Best of luck with your current and future builds!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2018, 10:57:48 AM »
I've spent much of the last two days rigging my Alby.  It put me to thinking about how you would work around those PE parts at the wing root.  I'm glad you've come to a conclusion.

I'm using Stren 2lb test that I blacken with a sharpie before I add it to the model.  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2018, 12:37:17 PM »
Thanks for visiting, Gaz. Good luck with the rest of your work on your Albatros!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2018, 10:52:54 PM »
The rigging attachment points look awesome as does your turnbuckles.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2018, 11:47:34 PM »
Thanks, Rick.  Now that I've got this bit sorted it's a pretty clear road ahead...until I have to fit a British pitot tube to the right interplane strut and run the tubing along the upper leading edge all the way to the cockpit...! Gotta luv dis hobby!  ;D   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #233 on: July 12, 2018, 03:31:18 AM »
"I've just started the work on the next turnbuckles so I'll post a photo or two once finished showing my method."

Here’s a bit more detail on the turnbuckle story and how I approached it. Apologies for the imagery, but the macro feature on my camera gave up the ghost recently. With reference to Photo 1:

Top Left – single length of Nichrome wire
Middle Left – wire bent in the middle to roughly 90 degrees and threaded onto a Gaspatch turnbuckle
Bottom – wire is bent back on itself, eyelet tool hook inserted into the bend in the wire, not the loop on the turnbuckle end
Top Right – eyelet partially completed by turning the eyelet tool maintaining a bit of tension on the wire. Don't twist too much or the wire might break. The size of the eyelet loop will give you an idea as to when it is "right."

Photo 2: the end result. Four turnbuckles fitted with eyelets. The eyelet “tails” will be trimmed and shortened in order to be fitted into the four holes to be drilled into their retaining plate.

And that's basically it. BTW, if you haven't made up an "eyelet tool" I'd recommend that you do. It's so simple it's genius.  ;)

Thanks for visiting!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #234 on: July 13, 2018, 01:30:31 AM »
Simple but obviously effective tool  8)

RAGIII

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #235 on: July 13, 2018, 06:15:56 AM »
Simple but obviously effective tool  8)

RAGIII

I really hope so, Rick. Six of the eight WNW kits I have in my cache will need eyelets, as will the lonely Hobbycraft Nieuport 17.

On another note: good news from the front. the Albi lower wing is now firmly attached to the fuselage. Photos to follow soon.  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #236 on: July 13, 2018, 08:24:24 AM »
Hello, Everyone,

With most of the lower wing turnbuckles in place it was time to attach the lower wing sections to the fuselage. Having scraped off any paint on the locating tabs of each section and then sanding them lightly, it was still a pretty tight fit. However, having applied a thin coat of Tamiya Extra Thin glue to the tabs, I was able to "encourage" them to slip into place. Both sections are now firmly in location:

I think that it's time to fit the undercarriage to the fuselage and then to complete the other fuselage fittings (machine guns, gun-sight and others). Many thanks for visiting!  8)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:10:46 PM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #237 on: July 13, 2018, 08:26:42 PM »
Your albatross looks stunning with the lower wings attached! I envy the absolutely perfect application of the lozenge decals!
RAGIII

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #238 on: July 13, 2018, 10:14:58 PM »
Thanks very much, Rick, for your very kind and much appreciated remarks.  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #239 on: July 15, 2018, 06:20:12 PM »
Gary,
    Love the way your alby is coming along.  What did you paint the ammo chutes with?  They have a great metallic look to them.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.