Author Topic: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery  (Read 55596 times)

Offline Trackpad

Re: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery
« Reply #240 on: July 15, 2018, 09:41:32 PM »
Gary,
    Love the way your alby is coming along.  What did you paint the ammo chutes with?  They have a great metallic look to them.

Gaz

Thanks, Gaz, for your very kind comment. As to the ammo chutes, I airbrushed them with good old, tried and true, Alclad 2. I'll use Gunze Mr. Metal Color with a fine brush for small details as well, but I do like the Alclad 2 for larger items and areas due to the many colours and varieties Alclad offers.

Thanks for visiting!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #241 on: July 23, 2018, 10:11:48 AM »
Just a quick add-on to the post on the wing sections: a closeup of the turnbuckles fitted at the upper wing root (yeah, I got a new macro lens ;D). These are the Gaspatch items attached with a length of fine wire twisted into a small eyelet.

The undercarriage is coming along slowly, as I have to do the weathering and "muddification" before assembling the item.

Thanks for visiting!
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #242 on: July 23, 2018, 11:07:11 AM »
Gary,
    Looking mighty fine, great work! Your slow and studied approach is really reaping benefits on this Build, in older terms, "stay the course Sir"! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #243 on: July 23, 2018, 12:29:09 PM »
Gary,
    Looking mighty fine, great work! Your slow and studied approach is really reaping benefits on this Build, in older terms, "stay the course Sir"! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks for visiting, Lance. And never fear, my friend. The advance may be slow but the course will be stayed.  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #244 on: July 23, 2018, 03:23:29 PM »
Very fine updating. And the turnbuckles are a great touch towards perfection.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #245 on: July 23, 2018, 10:36:08 PM »
Very fine updating. And the turnbuckles are a great touch towards perfection.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Giuseppe, thank you for your very kind comments!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #246 on: July 24, 2018, 03:56:16 AM »
Your buckles look perfect!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #247 on: July 24, 2018, 04:23:17 AM »
Your buckles look perfect!
RAGIII

As Rick stated.  The photography is also stunning.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #248 on: July 24, 2018, 09:27:08 AM »
Hi,Rick and Juan,

Thanks for your very kind comments. I'm very glad that the turnbuckles "turned out" all right, and equally glad that my old camera could connect so well with a pretty good macro lens. A glass of wine, a quick prayer, point and shoot. And there you have it: "Photography 101" by Trackpad!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #249 on: July 29, 2018, 01:00:00 PM »
Hello, Everyone. I'm happy to say that the Albatros is now up on her somewhat muddied "legs," now that the undercarriage assembly is in place. However, I'm not happy to report that the u/c legs do not appear to be sufficiently rigid to support the weight of the fuselage. The result is that there is a small but easily seen "list to starboard" showing:

This last photo shows the extent of the list. However it does not take much force to realign the wing correctly. As a result, I believe that I'll be able to adjust the wing to a level position when I rig the u/c assembly with thin fishing line. That said, I'd like to hear from anyone who has experienced this type of problem and who has solved it successfully. "When in doubt, ask the experts!" ;D

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and many thanks for visiting!  8)

Cheers!
Gary

Offline aliluke

« Reply #250 on: July 29, 2018, 04:45:28 PM »
Just been back through your log Gary - stunning work in every department.

I agree with RB - had a similar issue with my LVG - thought it was the under-carriage but it was the wing. Corrected with tensioning the rigging and a little extra persuasion with CA  at the wing root. Got it sorted to my eye before the upper wings went on.

Cheers,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #251 on: July 29, 2018, 06:39:20 PM »
Looking great, Gary.  ;)

B :) B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #252 on: July 29, 2018, 11:03:06 PM »
Hello Justin, Alastair and Bob,

Thanks for your input and your very kind comments. I plan to examine the wing section alignment based on your observations. Fortunately I had a bit of foresight in that I attached the u/c in the above photos with white glue only, and not too much of that. So I've been able to remove the u/c assembly successfully. Having applied a bit of downward pressure on the left wing section I was rewarded with a faint "crack:" looks like I may be able to adjust the wing angle without disassembly. I'll place the cabane and interplane struts onto the upper wing (white glue again) and see how that assembly fits the fuselage and lower wing sections. That should give me an idea of just how much the wing section adjustment(s) should be. Fingers crossed!  ;)

Thanks again, gentlemen, for your assistance. I very much appreciate it!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #253 on: July 30, 2018, 01:30:46 AM »
Gary,
     I believe Justin has hit the cause of the "Droop" (inside joke, apologies to Chris Johnson!) bang on. The frontal photo illustrates a marked difference in the dihedral of the lower wings to my eye when measured against the vertical alignment of the engine and horizontal orientation of the stabilizer assembly. I believe your intention to realign that starboard wing already underway will solve the problem nicely. It's looking really exceptional so far, I really like your "mud splatter" effect, a technique perfected over years of Armour modelling possibly??
     Take your time she's a real gem!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #254 on: July 30, 2018, 05:25:34 AM »
Hi, Lance. Thanks for your input. I've been thinking about this whole phenomenon over the past day or so, and have come up with the possibility of there being a certain "wing thing" problem with the WNW Albatros kits.

Ray Rimmell, in his Windsock Albatros build book, mentions that the upper wing ought to be flat: no dihedral. That said, more than a few kits do have dihedral in the upper wing: "a common consequence of premature mould [sic] release."
He then explains how to remove the unwanted dihedral, which results in a dead flat wing.

Later in the book he states that he "carefully bent up the gluing tabs [of each lower wing section] a little, slightly increasing their angles," thus avoiding and "possible tendency for the dihedral to 'drop out.'"

It appears, then, that there is at least the possibility of unwanted dihedral in the upper wing plus a requirement to increase the angles of the gluing tabs on each of the lower wing sections. I had seen a few scattered remarks in some build threads about problems here and there regarding the Albatros wings. The possibility of dihedral where there should be none, coupled with the requirement to bend gluing tabs to compensate for inaccurate dihedral, surely must lead to a frustrating exercise in "getting the wings right."

My question, then, is this: is there a thread dedicated to this potential problem and its solution and, if so, where might it be found? TIA for any information and/or guidance.  8)
Cheers!
Gary