Author Topic: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery  (Read 56082 times)

Offline Trackpad

Re: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery
« Reply #270 on: August 19, 2018, 06:12:19 AM »
Hello, Everyone. It's been only four days since I said that I was starting on three "tedious jobs." well...ummm...two of them are done and I'm the most surprised of all!  ???  The required twelve turnbuckles and four struts are now completed, as shown here:

Now it's on to that pesky radiator, and I can guarantee you that it will take longer than four days. I think that I've got about six or so of the gaps cleared with about 30-odd more to go. Pie-plate aluminum strips, strips of 600-grit sandpaper, really thin needles...anyone have further ideas on tools for this task?::) It'll be a bit frustrating but the end result will be worth it. And I do have the time to get it right: only thirteen more months until the build goes into competition!

Enjoy your weekend, everyone. Many thanks for visiting!   8)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 02:37:36 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline KevTheModeller

« Reply #271 on: October 15, 2018, 05:29:11 PM »
I've just joined the forum and catching this thread some months behind, I have to say what amazing work Trackpad. 

Is there anymore movement on this build? 
Kev

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #272 on: October 16, 2018, 08:54:36 AM »
I've just joined the forum and catching this thread some months behind, I have to say what amazing work Trackpad. 

Is there anymore movement on this build?

Hi, Kev,

Not very much. We've just returned from a trip to New York State that took eight days out of my schedule. That plus other priorities have kept me away from the Albi for quite a while. Plus which I now have three days of heavy catch-up around the house before I embark on nine days of computer simulation: four days on two separate exercises followed by five days of training on an update on another sim program. I can hear other guys on the forum grinding their teeth already while muttering, "Geez, I thought he was retired!" Well, I am retired, but I never really memorized the meaning of the word "No!"  ::)

No worries, though. I'll be back on the Albi as soon as I possibly can. Thanks for visiting!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline KevTheModeller

« Reply #273 on: October 16, 2018, 05:23:14 PM »
Well I was looking forward to my retirement in a few years, I'm not so sure now mate...............bloody hell!

Look forward to the restart  :)
Kev

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #274 on: October 16, 2018, 09:51:05 PM »
Well I was looking forward to my retirement in a few years, I'm not so sure now mate...............bloody hell!

Look forward to the restart  :)

Don't worry about retirement, Kev. Just study the meaning of the word "No," keep my situation in mind, and enjoy your free time. That said, I went into my post-career activities with open eyes, so I knew what to expect: no surprises! ;)   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #275 on: October 17, 2018, 09:09:05 PM »
Did you say retired or really tired?

Steve

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #276 on: October 18, 2018, 02:22:10 AM »
Did you say retired or really tired?

Steve

"Retired," as in "Not Stopped Yet!" ;) And you'll be glad to hear that I actually did some work on the odd-shaped exhaust pipe fitted to the Albi:

Not a big job, but every journey starts (or restarts) by switching on the ignition!

Colour me "back again," and glad to be here. 8)

PS: The three-day exercise has been rescheduled. I've got three free days over the weekend. Hurrah!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #277 on: October 26, 2018, 10:43:10 AM »
Hello, Everyone,

Well, who would have thought that a simple exhaust pipe would be so complicated! :o

Here is a closeup of the current mini-project: the modified exhaust pipe of the Albi, obviously differing from the "standard" version:

No problem, I hear you say. Just lop off some of the standard piping, tack on a new tube cut to size and painted, and Bob's your uncle. Ummm...not quite! Turns out that the "new pipe" has to meet a length factor, plus it has to "bend" downward a bit, plus it has to fit through the cabane struts without touching any of them.

BTW, I have no idea why this tubular addition was...added. Did the Germans fit it before the a/c was captured? Did the RFC fit it due to damage as the a/c made a heavy landing when (sort of) shot down? Did aliens steal the original pipe, leaving the RFC blokes to fit anything that they could find? I just ain't got no idea!! All I have is this one photo showing the pipe as it appeared on the day that the recording photos were made. Accordingly, I'll try to use a bit of common sense, some luck, and one heck of a big magnifying glass!  ;)

I first cut the existing pipe back only as far as the diameter which closely matched my (too large, it turned out) choice for the new section. That went no further, as the extension smacked right into the cabane assembly. Phase 2: get a smaller diameter plastic tube (a cylindrical coffee stirring stick fitted the bill nicely) and cut the existing pipe further back by about 1/8 inch. This time we had some success. I then painted the two parts, Alclad 2 Exhaust Manifold for the existing section and their Dark Aluminum for the new section.

Here they are as they now look. The first image shows the two parts plus a mounting length (not yet painted) to join the new section to the engine.The second shows the parts more or less dry-fitted to give an idea of what the finished assembly will look like. Weathering and detail painting next!

More to follow over the next few days. If I don't get back before Saturday, thanks for visiting and have a superlatively great weekend!  8)

Cheers!
Gary

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: October 26, 2018, 10:18:34 PM »
Gary,
    Good to hear you got a bit of a reprieve on the part time ( :-\ :o!?! ???) job and it's good to see this project moving again. That exhaust pipe mod is a complicated one, the clearances through the cabanes are unforgiving and touchy using the kit version! Good old coffee stir sticks; that was the third or forth and the eventual solution to the extended exhaust pipe on my Brisfit, it's great stuff! With three days off you should be almost finished her by next week................ well maybe not quite! :o
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #279 on: October 30, 2018, 10:28:41 AM »
Hi, Everyone,

Believe it or not, more progress on the Albi. The radiator is now done and fitted into its slot on the upper wing. Also, the odd-shaped exhaust pipe is now finished (less the last pipe mount extension). Photos below show the radiator and the dry-fitted exhaust (checking relation to the cabane strut) before getting it anchored in place. Wish I had a better image of this bit!  :( 

I'm starting the attachment of rigging (EZ Line) to the turnbuckles on the underside of the upper wing, preparatory to getting the upper wing fitted.

More later. Thanks much for visiting!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #280 on: October 30, 2018, 12:08:40 PM »
Great to see an update on this Beauty! Your work on clearing out the vanes on the radiator has Paid off! The exhaust pipe is awesome work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #281 on: October 31, 2018, 01:58:48 AM »
Thanks, Rick. It's good to get back on the horse!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #282 on: October 31, 2018, 11:44:20 PM »
 Gary,
Been playing catch up this morning and found this awesome thread. Absolute beauty my old friend. Master Class project all the way.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #283 on: November 01, 2018, 12:21:26 AM »
Gary,
Been playing catch up this morning and found this awesome thread. Absolute beauty my old friend. Master Class project all the way.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Hello, Gregory. Always glad to hear from you! Thanks for your very kind comment. This build has been a long time running, but I hope to make it a good one as a tribute to Des.

I hope all is well with you and yours. Thanks for visiting!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #284 on: November 09, 2018, 12:49:23 AM »
At long last the interplane rigging is now attached to the turnbuckles on the underside of the upper wing. Next is to add the machine guns, then fix the right engine cover, the exhaust build and the cabanes into place. Then the upper wing can be fitted. Wish me luck, and thanks for visiting!  8)

Cheers!
Gary