Author Topic: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery  (Read 56135 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery
« Reply #285 on: November 09, 2018, 11:42:03 PM »
I admire those of you that can attach all of those wires and then mount the wing. I would have wires wrapped around, between, and under struts  ::) Looking great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #286 on: November 10, 2018, 12:12:26 AM »
I admire those of you that can attach all of those wires and then mount the wing. I would have wires wrapped around, between, and under struts  ::) Looking great!
RAGIII

Thanks, Rick. As Baldric of Blackadder would say, "I have a cunning plan!" First, an optivisor. Next, two tweezers. Next, a pint of Guinness. Next, an obeisance to the Rigging Gods. And then we go to work. As a friend of mine said many years ago, "It's a big elephant.You can only eat it one small bite at a time." Start at centre line, work outwards, and take your time. I'll try to keep that in mind when I wrap a line around a strut!  :o

Cheers, All, and have a super weekend!  8)

Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #287 on: November 10, 2018, 12:41:34 AM »
    Looking exceptionally fine Gary, and that radiator work was worth the extra time and effort, very impressive. As for "wrapping a line around a strut" just pop open another Guinness, it can only help! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #288 on: December 16, 2018, 04:51:03 AM »
Hello, Everyone,

Yes, I'm still here and still chopping away at the Albi. Unfortunately, I am on contract to do various things in support of Army training, and the contract came in left, right and centre over the past few weeks: a seven-hour one-way trip to run a three-day exercise, two more closer to home (eight days overall), plus a four-day course on a new computer simulation that we're about to use. All this plus the annual shoppingfest otherwise known as "Christmas!"

Notwithstanding all of the foregoing, I have managed a few minor leaps of progress all gathered around the forward fuselage.
Essentially, I've now got the machine guns, modified exhaust and the cabane struts all in place and sort of ready for the upper wing to be fitted. I was amazed at the fiddlyness of getting all of these pieces to co-operate! Two more turnbuckles have been fitted, one on either side of the nose. As I am hoping to get the top wing in place using all four of the interplane and cabane struts, I'm about to fit the RFC pitot tube onto the right interplane strut prior to fitting it. With all this finished up I should be ready for the upper wing.  :o

Here are a few photos of the nose area:

Guns, exhaust and modified exhaust in place:

One of two turnbuckles now in place, the other on "the other side of the hill!"

And, the other side of the hill! BTW, note the well-finished propeller retaining plate (if I do say so myself!) . I did that last night, then realized this morning that it will be completely covered by the spinner!  ::) Ah, well, as many will probably say (and one has already said) "But you'll know it's there!" (Thanks, Mark! ;D)

All best wishes for a wonderful "Merry Christmas!" go out to all Forumites and to your families. Be safe, have a grand time, and thanks so very much for visiting!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #289 on: December 18, 2018, 12:26:24 AM »
Nice progress!!

Steve

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #290 on: December 18, 2018, 01:39:55 AM »
Well, I'm quite sure that I got a visit from Des last night. While I initially only wanted to check the fit of the cabanes with the fuselage in the upside down position, this eventually led to getting the entire upper wing fitting completed. Thanks, Des!  ;)

Checking the fit. Seems all right:

Here's the final result, with rigging lines all over the map (!) :

Next the rigging and some external details. Thanks for visiting!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Online RAGIII

« Reply #291 on: December 18, 2018, 02:10:00 AM »
Congrats on the successful mounting of the upper wing. It and the whole Model look superb!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #292 on: December 18, 2018, 10:01:33 AM »
Congrats on the successful mounting of the upper wing. It and the whole Model look superb!
RAGIII

Thanks, Rick! It looks to be all down hill from here with the possible exception of the rigging. But I'm cautiously confident.  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #293 on: December 27, 2018, 01:07:43 PM »
Hello, Everyone. I hope that you all had a wonderfully Happy Christmas and that you are now motoring comfortably toward New Years' Eve!

Just a few updates on the project. I have now fitted the very first rigging line to the Albi. It was more of a challenge than I thought, and I'll need a couple of longer tweezers plus a surgical tool called an Alligator Scissors. You can see a small extension of the line on the lower turnbuckle. That's the type of cleanup the scissors can do very quickly. As it is, my selection of scissors falls quite short of the mark.

Here is the first rigging line:

Here's a photo of the scissors:

If anyone can suggest a source for this item I'd very much appreciate the contact information. I'm in a small town about two hours from our capitol city of Ottawa (not too many surgical instrument stores near here!). TIA for any information.

The second point is that I've taken an interest in the painting of my 1/32nd scale pilot for the Albi. Here's a photo of the figure at very early innings. So far, so good. (Did I say that I haven't done figures since the 1970's??).  ;)

Head and hands being done separately. It looks to be fairly all right to my uneducated eye, but if anyone has a few help-along observations I'd be very glad to receive them. Again, TIA for any input!

Thanks for visiting. Have a great New Years' bash and we'll see you in 2019!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Europapete

« Reply #294 on: December 28, 2018, 12:05:08 AM »
Hi Gary, your doing a REALLY great job on this, but turnbuckles are only at one end of the line, not both. Usually down at the lower end on the wings. Regards Pete in RI

Offline Europapete

« Reply #295 on: December 28, 2018, 12:06:42 AM »
Oh, and try Micro Mark for the scissors 👍

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #296 on: December 28, 2018, 12:27:07 AM »
Hi, Pete! Thanks for the information. I'll check the turnbuckle topic (obviously, I thought both ends!) and I'm on the way to the Micro Mark website right now!  8)

Pete, that didn't take long. Micro Mark has 'em, and I'm gettin' them. Thanks again, and Happy New Year to you!  8)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 07:56:34 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Europapete

« Reply #297 on: December 28, 2018, 06:49:09 AM »
Glad to help, happy new year to you too.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #298 on: December 28, 2018, 08:06:16 AM »
Pete, I can now see where I mucked up the upper turnbuckles. The rigging wire passes through a simple loop attachment rather than a turnbuckle, then returns along itself to be anchored further down the length. From a distance one sees (or, more accurately, thinks he/she sees) a turnbuckle on the upper wing. Certainly it's "my bad!"

My repair might not be too difficult. All of my turnbuckles are attached to a manufactured wire loop at the wing surface. I'm pretty sure that I can break the turnbuckle right at it's upper loop, thus retaining my wire loop and providing the "real" attachment point. If this works it will surely save me time in the repair.

Thanks again for this lead. If we ever run across each other at a modelling event/competition, the beer's on me!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Europapete

« Reply #299 on: December 28, 2018, 10:05:51 AM »
🍻sounds good