Author Topic: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery  (Read 56032 times)

Offline dr 1 ace

Re: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery
« Reply #300 on: January 01, 2019, 09:03:35 AM »
Marvelous progress !

Ps: the tight spot angle scissors are part # 84737

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #301 on: January 01, 2019, 09:11:06 AM »
I thought I had responded earlier but apparently not. Awesome progress and I am sure you will sort out the extra turnbuckle! The leather coat on the figure looks terrific!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #302 on: January 01, 2019, 10:00:12 AM »
Marvelous progress !

Ps: the tight spot angle scissors are part # 84737

Ed

Hi, Ed! Thanks for your visit, and Happy New Year to you. Yes, I've already visited the MM website and found the scissors. It and two other items are already on their way to the GWN. They'll all help with the Albatros and the other seven WNW kits (plus one Hobbycraft offering) in the cache. Cheers!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #303 on: January 01, 2019, 10:08:48 AM »
I thought I had responded earlier but apparently not. Awesome progress and I am sure you will sort out the extra turnbuckle! The leather coat on the figure looks terrific!
RAGIII

Hello, Rick. Pete's posting was a wake-up call for me. All of the "in error" turnbuckles are gone and simple eyelets have replaced them. The first accurate rigging line is now in place, with one or two more per day on the schedule. It's finicky, but I should have faster fitting times as I progress.

Thanks for your very kind comment on the leather coat of my "pilot." Essentially the coat, gloves, boots and helmet are slightly different Tamiya browns over-coated with Tamiya black and dark brown panel-line liquids. They emphasize the fabric folds nicely as well as giving that worn sheen look.  The hardest part for me will be the face and hands, but I've got time to cork these up and redo them a few times.;) Best of the New Year to you, Sir! 8)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 03:19:14 PM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #304 on: January 02, 2019, 01:44:28 PM »
I had a very good day on the Albatros today, even though I had to clear a 5-inch snowfall from the back deck, front steps and my 80-foot driveway over most of the afternoon. Even so, I was able to get four cabane clamps fitted where the cabanes were attached to the fuselage, the propeller assembly done, and six more rigging lines prepared for final attachment tomorrow.

Here are three of the lines threaded through their proper turnbuckle eyelets with three more on the opposite wing-root. You can see a couple of the cabane clamps in their new locations as well:

And here is the propeller assembly. I refinished the spinner as I wasn't too pleased with my first try:

The build is progressing nicely. That said, I am always conscious of an old Army saying:" When your advance is going well...it's an ambush!" I'm wondering from day to day just when the next ambush will be sprung!  :o

Best Regards to all. Thanks for visiting, and a "Happy New Year" to all forumites!  8)

Cheers!
Gary

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #305 on: January 07, 2019, 06:10:05 AM »
Very good looking -hopefully the model will remain ambush-free until it's done, and long after that! :)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #306 on: January 07, 2019, 09:24:12 AM »
Outstanding! Funny thing about the wing mounting. I found Myelf doing the same thing on my last Albatros!
RAGIII

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #307 on: January 20, 2019, 10:40:55 PM »
January 20th, and not too much to show as far as progress is concerned. A number of factors have kept me from the modelling table, and when I do get a chance at it the rigging (and a fair bit of hamfistedness) is giving me quite the challenge. The EZ Line tends to curl under the influence of thin CA and I'll have to refine my method of attachment. All to say that although combat has been joined, time is on my side! I've got a week or so before I'll be away for a week or so. With any luck I'll get a bit more done by then.

Here she is, set for yet more effort and surrounded by my various weapons of choice. Thanks for visiting! 8)

Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #308 on: March 02, 2019, 01:19:31 PM »
Well, gentlemen, it's now March 1st and my last post here was January 20th. That's 39 days between posts. In that time I've experienced the most frustrating 39 days of my life regarding modelling: rigging the Albatros. That said, I’m happy to say that it's virtually done: photos attached below. I say  “virtually” because I’m purposely leaving  the two “nose to cabane strut” lines off until the pitot tube and air hose are placed. They’ll be sure  to get in the way. However, both of these lines are  attached to their respective turnbuckles. You can see them dangling from the nose area on both sides of the fuselage. It will take only a few seconds to get them into place when comes time. BTW, same goes for the elevator control wires. I knocked off about three at least doing the rigging, so the underside wires get fitted once the pitot and hose are done and I can put this thing down and leave it  alone!

I’m dithering a bit WRT continuing on with the Albi or taking a bit of a break before the last lap. If I do continue with it now then perhaps another week or two might be needed, both to get the required items in place and to make a number of minor repairs to the build. I'll decide in a day or two: no work scheduled until Monday!

Here are two pictures of the Albi in its current state:

That’s a lot of weight off my shoulders, I tell you true. I never thought that the rigging would be so confrontational, argumentative or downright  painful. I’m frankly appalled at the number of  outright dumb errors I made. Whatever the next build will be, it sure as Hades ain't gonna be the DH-2! <G> 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:45:16 PM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #309 on: March 02, 2019, 09:10:20 PM »
Sorry to hear that your rigging experience was so frustrating! For what it is worth the rigging looks Outstanding to my eye!! Beautifully done.
RAGIII

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #310 on: March 02, 2019, 11:44:11 PM »
Sorry to hear that your rigging experience was so frustrating! For what it is worth the rigging looks Outstanding to my eye!! Beautifully done.
RAGIII

Rick, thanks very much for your comment. I'm pretty much satisfied with how the rigging eventually turned out notwithstanding the fun and frolic it took to get there. Also, I didn't really think that our members would like to see reports on one mistake after another over a five week period!  :o

As I wrote in my first post to this thread, "A couple of months ago I started a WNW Albatros DV, and allocated almost two years to get it ready for a regional competition. My intent was to do a pretty good job on this build." I'm where the above photos show, and the competition is still seven months away (end-September) so I'm well ahead of the power curve on this build. As an example, the rigging challenge was one of the reasons that I allocated so much time to the build, so it's not as if I got blind-sided with an unexpected problem. Challenge identified, challenge addressed, challenge overcome: moved on!  ;)

I'd also like to make it crystal clear that I am not, in any way, fishing for sympathy. If anyone wants to know about the various hiccups that occurred with the rigging I'll be glad to enumerate them. Each hiccup got sorted out and overcome. This build is a tribute to Des (see first post on this thread) and I am sure that he wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Best wishes to all. Thanks for visiting. Have a superlative weekend!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #311 on: March 03, 2019, 12:11:19 AM »
Gary, that's a very beautiful Albatros, indeed! I follow your build, which progresses with a speed I can handle very well..! I love models wirh a „twist“, like this one: The well known silhouette of a hun, „pacified“ by a set of cockardes...

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #312 on: March 03, 2019, 02:41:25 PM »
Gary, that's a very beautiful Albatros, indeed! I follow your build, which progresses with a speed I can handle very well..! I love models with a „twist“, like this one: The well known silhouette of a hun, „pacified“ by a set of cockardes...

Thanks, RH, and thanks for visiting. Nice comment as to "twisted subjects." The Albi markings are offered by Pheon Decals on the same sheet as you will find markings for a captured Sopwith Pup, resplendent in its black crosses. And I do have a WNW Pup in my cache, and the thought has often surfaced as to building the Pup as a captured subject as well. We'll see what transpires "in the fullness of time!"  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #313 on: March 03, 2019, 04:22:32 PM »
I've been missing some updates on your subject and now can see an almost completed Albatros, wich is exceptionally well done.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #314 on: March 03, 2019, 11:16:22 PM »
I've been missing some updates on your subject and now can see an almost completed Albatros, wich is exceptionally well done.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Giuseppe, thanks for your very kind comment. It took me several weeks to get the rigging almost completed along with a few other priorities to meet. However, I'll be finished this build in good time for the competition in September.

Ciao!  8)
Cheers!
Gary