Author Topic: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery  (Read 55948 times)

Offline GazzaS

Re: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery
« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2018, 08:46:07 AM »
Looking really good!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2018, 10:06:57 AM »
Looking really good!

Thanks, Gaz! Umm...I've been checking my map of Oz and can't find the state of Blotto... ???  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2018, 11:43:27 AM »
Well...   It's easy to find once you've had enough XXXX Bitter.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2018, 12:22:19 PM »
Well...   It's easy to find once you've had enough XXXX Bitter.

Great! I'll check my local beer store. Thanks!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2018, 06:46:58 AM »
The wood panels are absolutely gorgeous! You have done an exceptional job in their application. Love the color scheme. Well Done!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2018, 07:29:48 AM »
The wood panels are absolutely gorgeous! You have done an exceptional job in their application. Love the color scheme. Well Done!
RAGIII

Thank you, Sir, for your very kind comment! I must say that I'm guilty of lying to the Forum...again: I've just applied the third Future/Pledge clear-coat. I'll let it dry/cure overnight and then have a go at the detail painting discussed earlier. I've been chasing up photos of the tail and main u/c so I'm pretty much ready for those areas. And, of course, the nail decals are patiently waiting in the wings. Morale is good. All is well!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2018, 03:33:14 AM »
The decal work is a great success!! Looking forward to nails and details!

Steve

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2018, 05:06:13 AM »
The decal work is a great success!! Looking forward to nails and details!

Steve

"Nails and Details, Wings and Things." Thanks, Steve.

Glad that I've given myself about two years to get this build sorted!  ;D   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2018, 06:27:47 AM »
Things have been busy over the past few days. Fortunately, I've been able to do some experimentation on the nail decal front: two down, one more to try over the next 24 hours.

The two completed are as follows. I applied short lengths (+-1/2 inch) of the "free line" nails to two surfaces. The first was gloss white using only water as the transfer and adhesion means. The second was the same general idea, but applying the "nails" to a layer of dried Future/Pledge. I allowed each to dry for 24 hours. In both cases, I was able to remove the transfer film easily. On the gloss white surface a few of the nails did not adhere and came off still attached to the transfer film. On the F/P surface, all of the nails adhered properly.

The next and probably last experiment will be to apply FL nails to a dried F/P surface using a small amount of Mr. Mark Softer (as called for in the decal instructions) as the transfer/adhesion medium. This will be allowed to dry for another 24 hours. The results will be matched to the second experiment above. I'll choose the best result and move ahead with application. 

As a bit of "fun" modelling history, here's a model of D4545/17 done in 1975 by...uhh...me. 1/72nd scale Aifix DV, sprue rigging and hand-painted lozenge using templates found in a contemporary IPMS UK magazine. Who would have thought that I'd be revisiting this subject 43 years later?  ::)

Thanks for visiting!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2018, 08:23:01 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the results of the nail decals. I like your old Airfix kit. Quite nicely done for the time!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2018, 11:35:13 AM »
Gary,
     The 1975 version is a neat comparison. I still have an un-built one kicking around here with the template for hand painted lozenge, (Use carbon paper, if you can steal some from a museum I suppose!) Great memories! No offense, but your new one looks like it'll be slightly better then the 1975 one , and then some! A pleasure to follow such a well researched and properly evaluated Build!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2018, 12:35:39 PM »
@RAG, thanks for your visit and kind comment. Regrettably, the 1975 version has gone the way of the Carrier Pigeon, existing only as one hard copy photo and a digital image on my computer. Still, great memories of going cross-eyed painting in the lozenges one by one except for the light tan samples. The tan was airbrushed over the entire upper wing surfaces and then the templates came into play as the pattern was penciled in.

@Lance: carbon paper + a Gestetner machine = hi-tech for this old guy! Used to get four or five sheets of carbon paper in our field message pads. Not sure what the youngsters use these days what with iPads, GPS and laptops!

Thx, Both, for visiting!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline mgunns

« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2018, 01:45:21 PM »
Hi Gary:

The wood grain decals make this a stand out model as they look like actual plywood panels, very nicely done.  The 1975 version doesn't look to bad considering what was available for the modeler to build a finished product like you have there.  I remember doing the Aurora 1/48 Albatros using the carbon paper tracing method, as Lance mentioned, to do the lozenge with similar results.  Considering the age and timeframe the kit was built, it looks pretty good.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2018, 01:38:08 AM »
Your Airfix Alby looks great...and in 1975 I would have dialed you on my rotary phone and told you so.......but only after my 8 track finished....
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:21:01 AM by pepperman42 »

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2018, 03:54:01 AM »
Your Airfix Alby looks great...and in 1975 I would dial you on my rotary phone and told you so.......but only after my 8 track finished....

"8 track?" What's 'n "8 track??" (Yeah, I know!!)   8)
Cheers!
Gary