Author Topic: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery  (Read 56220 times)

Offline krow113

Re: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2018, 05:57:47 AM »
lol
Another tip?
Application of decal setting solution can go on for a few sessions. I applied some up to a week later trying to work the decals into the framework crevice' in the interior of The Gotha. A smallish paint brush works to push the decals around without damage.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2018, 08:45:27 AM »
Here is a short update based on a few more panels applied over the weekend. I'm getting my own "routine" worked out so, as long as I have enough time, the applications should be done in about a week or so...maybe!

Here's where we are as of Sunday night my time:

Not too much required in the way of captioning: "Decals cut, applied, trimmed, varnished...repeat!"  ;D

I'll probably leave off updates until the decaling is done. After all, how many times do you want to visit only to see just two more panels in play??  ???

Thanks for visiting, have a great week ahead, and spend some useful time with your builds until I finish off this phase. Best Regards, All!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Online Radarman

« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2018, 09:04:34 AM »
Very nice, Gary! I'm logging this away in my brain for my attempt at wood grain decals.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2018, 10:59:28 AM »
    Very nice work Gary. When you set out on this little adventure you were determined to make it a slow, studied, and "as good as it gets" Build, and you are more then on the objectives of the mission! This is great work for an Armor Modeller, and it's going to be a real winner. (and as you often say in our PM correspondence, I KNOW I'm gonna pay for that shot!) Take your time, enjoy, and keep those updates coming. I for one don't mind one panel at a time, especially when it's work like this! :) ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2018, 09:34:56 PM »
    "I for one don't mind one panel at a time, especially when it's work like this!" :) ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks for your visits, Radarman and Lance!  :)

@Lance: Well-l-l... after the Wild/Jets game last night, I did sneak another panel into place on the left rear fuselage, just forward of the vertical stab. Looks all right but I don't want to "go to the well" too often with little updates. So, maybe you can just take a look at the top photo of my last post, focus on the blank panel on the left rear fuse and repeat "Plywood, plywood, plywood!"  ;D I'll just keep on paneling along for the next week or so and get out a good update when this phase of the build is done. And thanks for your very kind comments. As to the "Armour Modeler" quip, I recall the comment by Gerd Froebe in "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines," as modified: "An Armour Modeler can do anysink!"  ;)

Cheers, All. Have a great week!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2018, 09:51:20 PM »
The wood panels are looking excellent Gary! I am looking forward to seeing them all applied!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2018, 11:17:14 PM »
The wood panels are looking excellent Gary! I am looking forward to seeing them all applied!
RAGIII

Thanks very much, Rick. Trust me, my friend: so am I!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2018, 10:52:51 AM »
RAGIII

Big Ditto here!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2018, 11:33:23 AM »
Big "Thanks for visiting" from here, Ed. Always good to hear from you!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2018, 01:27:23 AM »
Hi,Everyone,

OK, I lied. Here is a short update that I said would not be posted. However, we had a short bout of stomach flu (or something like) that put my wife and me down for the count for a couple of days. Accordingly, my "update schedule" has gone for a burton. Another item of interest is that tomorrow is April 21st, Captain A. R. Brown (officially credited with the victory over MvR: let's not get into that today!) came from Carleton Place, about 1.5 hours from my front door, and the local museum is featuring Captain Brown and two other WW1 veterans of WW1 tomorrow. So that visit will further set my "US" back a few days.

But a bit of progress has been made, especially in one small area. First, the paneling along the top of the fuselage is nearing completion:

Next, the "real progress:" I was a bit concerned about the decaling of the small area just aft of the rudder post. There is a significant compound curve to negotiate: left to right, over the elevated curve in the centre of the area, and the curve front to back as the small elevation diminishes towards the rear. I was really wondering just how, or if, the decal would negotiate this whole area. In the event, I used for about the first time Mr. Mark Softer and Setter. Once the decal was in place I used a Q-Tip/cotton bud to gently massage the decal into place. In the event, it didn't take much: the interaction of Softer, Setter and decal worked very well. This bodes well for other curves in the tail area to be paneled in the coming days.

All the Best to everyone. Thanks for visiting and have a superb weekend!   8)

PS: Oh, yes: don't forget to watch for the possible Wingnut Wings announcement tentatively scheduled for April 21st!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2018, 03:35:30 AM »
The paneling is continuing to look absolutely Fantastic!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2018, 04:17:12 AM »
Paneling is becoming better every day, and it's something worth to try, sooner or later. Longing to see the completed Albie!
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2018, 12:16:55 PM »
Hi, Rick and Giuseppe,

Thanks for visiting and for your very kind remarks. The methodology is new to me as I've made a few amendments to the Uschi directions. I'll probably be really comfortable once this phase is over...and I don't have to do another woodgrain decal exercise!  ;D

Best regards, and best wishes for a great weekend!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2018, 01:54:24 PM »
I'm glad to see your decals are making the corners and curves.  Mr. Mark Setter and Mr. Mark softer work very well together.

Well done.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2018, 01:00:15 PM »
I'm glad to see your decals are making the corners and curves.  Mr. Mark Setter and Mr. Mark softer work very well together.

Well done.

I had some problems with these two a while ago, and have only now more or less figured out which one goes where and how much of each to be used. Fortunately, I'm still able to learn, so I'm not dead yet. At least, I don't think so...!  8)
Cheers!
Gary