Author Topic: Fokker Streaking. Show your Method  (Read 64054 times)

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
Re: Fokker Streaking. Show your Method
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 04:18:10 PM »
Slaps the post for fellow streakers.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Online RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 08:47:14 PM »
Martin,
Thank you for your contribution to the thread. The drybrushing technique can certainly be effective as on your Dr1. do you thin the paint before drybrushing or is it straight from the bottle?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline radio

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 11:48:14 PM »
Hi Rick
it comes direct from the Misterkit bottles. ::)
This System had I read some years ago. 8)
Martin

Offline Adam

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2014, 06:45:09 PM »
To paint streaks I used the same method as the real aircraft were painted. The whole model was painted with a base color. Then with a wide brush about 15 mm a wide I with diluted paint Livecolor I painted streaks.
Test painting I did on the wing of another model.

I decided that this method is good and then I painted my Fokker.

This is the large model 1:32 scale.
On the model in 1:72 scale, this method rather failed.  :(

Adam.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 09:46:23 AM »
Adam,
sorry for the late reply! Thank You for sharing your Method. That is what this thread is about!
RAGIII

WarrenD

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2014, 04:27:02 AM »
Well, heck, as long as we're at it, here is my first attempt at streaking. This is my first kit on coming back to the hobby*, and I got very frustrated at trying to make enamel or acrylic paint do what I wanted. (Next time I'm going to use RAG's method.) In any event, I decided to use watercolor pencils. I sprayed the kit with Testors Dullcote, and then started drawing the streaks. I then went over the kit with a small damp brush. In the end I think the results are mixed, but it was kind of fun to try to reproduce the finish in a rather unconventional way.

FWIW,

Warren

*My other builds (SPAD VII C.1, Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter, and a couple of Nieuports) are in various stages of destruction, rather than construction, due to my own ham-fistedness. I hope to return to them soon.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 12:08:07 AM »
Warren,
Thanks for sharing your Pencil Method! I still think your results were/are excellent. Another Method worth trying out in the future'
RAGIII

mike in calif

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2014, 08:59:26 AM »
An older 1/28 model of Lothar v. R.s DVII. Enamels with a RLM 70-ish green dry brushed over the basecoat.

Offline sobrien

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2015, 01:46:24 AM »
Here's my Roden 1/32. I streaked it with thinned Model Master paint. It turned out alright.

Offline davecww1

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2015, 03:11:10 AM »
Figure I would add to the thread, here is my Werner Voss F.1 under construction.  It is the DML Dragon kit with the Rosemont conversion for the tailplane.  After much debate with Taz and Dan San Abbott on the Aerodrome forum, I figured out the F1 was not painted entirely turquoise then streaked, but was bleached linen, which would give it the "silvery-gray" color as described by McCudden.  So I mixed up a base color of sand and white to give the bleached linen color and painted the entire airframe this color.  I used Model Master and Agama  enamels for the colors.  After the base color dried I coated it with Future acrylic floor finish, this ensures that the streaks will not dissolve the base linen color. I did much like the actual aircraft, and took a thin brush with thinned down Agama Fokker Olive which was used to streak as seen below.  I went back with thinner to lighten some areas and think it came out well as compared to photos of F.1 103/17.

For a little practice I decided to do the Revell Fokker Funfendecker in the same scheme! 

Dave C
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:30:34 AM by davecww1 »

Online RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 06:20:21 PM »
Thanks for all of the recent posts on different streaking methods! All look great and have merit to modelers looking to streak their Fokkers! Dave, you certainly have reminded me of one of my FAVORITE non provable Aerodrome discussions! No not the Yellow cowl but the base color of 102 qnd 103/17. I appreciate DSA and Tazs' work but agree with Greg van Wyngarden on this one and think the base was blue  ;D Who really knows? Excellent results by the way!
RAGIII

Offline MikkoHeikkinen

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2016, 12:21:55 AM »

Looks like I had in my photobucket this pic for some reason. :D Well I share it here.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2016, 12:32:48 AM »
Thanks for sharing the photo! I like number 1 and 3 a lot! Both look very effective. The acrylics thinned with Johnson clear sounds like an interesting method to try!
RAGIII

Offline MikkoHeikkinen

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2016, 08:35:43 PM »
Thanks Rag! Imho nr.1 is too slanting to right. But it's my first streaking. :D Pics don't give credit to 2 and 4, they aren't se green than shown in pic. But here is my latest streaking effort, eduard 1/48 E.V wing.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2016, 09:08:38 PM »
Lovely work. A couple of questions on the acrylic and future/Johnsons.
1. Do you use one color thinned to different consistencies? OR
2. Do you use multiple coats of the same mix?

By the way I did make a small error in my original comment. I like all of the tripes but it was #2 and #3 that really got my attention. Here is a shot of my EV in 1/48th by Eduard. I used cheap Delta Ceramicoat acrylics for this one.

RAGIII
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 02:53:06 AM by RAGIII »