Author Topic: Fokker Streaking. Show your Method  (Read 43959 times)

Online Brad Cancian

• Global Moderator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Re: Fokker Streaking. Show your Method
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2022, 12:02:00 PM »
Beautiful work Rick!

Someone suggested to me that I post on my recent experience with using Aviattic Fokker Streaking decals. These come in pre-cut and strip form.

I have tried these on the 1/48 Eduard Fokker Dr.1.

First, I started with some priming followed by some pre-shading:

Then the upper surface colours (upon which the translucent streaking decals would later sit over), followed by a gloss coat:

Next came the Aviattic decals. These went down reasonably nicely. The pre-cut shapes were not quite right and did not quite fit in a number of places. Luckily, I had their other sheet which effectively represents solid sections of 'streaking', so I could tailor some parts here and there:

Next came the individual aircraft markings:

Then a few extra additions, a flat coat, a little bit of post shading, and the start of some weathering:

The Aviattic decals do show the pre-shading through, but I did have to do a little post shading to get the wing ribs to show through just a little more. I could stand to have them a little more obvious, but I have learned enough times that the art of subtlety is difficult - you're always better served stopping just before you think you have too much :)  These decals are nice to use, but are stretchy, and difficult to cut once dry (even a sharp knife tends to 'stretch' the decals... arg). Hence I still have some cleaning up to do around wing trailing edges, and so forth. That being said, I do like the representation of streaking; it's not unnaturally even, and does well I think to represent the subtle irregularities of real life hand painting. Decals allow for a cleaner job as well. So, well done Aviattic :)

So, those are my experiences so far with using this method.

Cheers,

BC

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2022, 12:07:23 PM »
Awesome results and photos Brad! Thanks for such a Detailed explanation. Makes Me want to build another DR1 and use the Aviattic Decals!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline WD

« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2022, 11:17:28 PM »
Brad,
         Thanks so much for posting this, I'm really looking forward to using these on my next Tripe build, and Ricks method as well.

FWIW, here is the instructions from Richard at Aviattic regarding their use on the 1/72nd Eduard Triplane for those so inclined:

https://www.aviattic.co.uk/172-fokker-streaking-decals.html

HTH!

WD