Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Snipe: Early: Albatros DVa Jasta 6  (Read 60334 times)

Offline mgunns

Re: WNW Sopwith Snipe: Early: Albatros DVa Jasta 6
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2014, 04:53:47 AM »
Hello Rick:

I can't see where anything is broken either.  As mentioned, these kits build into such great models right out of the box.  Yours is no exception.  The interior looks great and I am looking forward to seeing this one unfold.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2014, 06:38:15 AM »
Hello Rick:

I can't see where anything is broken either.  As mentioned, these kits build into such great models right out of the box.  Yours is no exception.  The interior looks great and I am looking forward to seeing this one unfold.

Best

Mark

Thanks Mark, I always appreciate your comments! As for the broken frame it appears right at the front of the seat on the left side. Like I said the remainder was glued to the left fuselage half. I have made some progress since my last update:
!. The Snipe interior is now glued into the left fuselage half. After a test fit of the fuselage to the wings I spent several hours trying to figure out why the parts all fit correctly and yet there was a gap between the fuselage and wing. My research turned out to lead to Des's build and I saw that this gap is present on his also. So it seems I did nothing wrong and the gap is correct. I have also started the engine.
2.The Albatros now has the tail planes attached and rigging holes drilled. I am ready to prime and paint the fuselage and start applying the Aviattic Lozenge.
Pictures later tonight.
RAGIII
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:19:12 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2014, 07:47:28 AM »
The work you have done on the interior is superb Rick, and the damaged part is not noticeable at all, an excellent repair. Looking forward to seeing her closed up.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2014, 12:03:57 PM »
Thanks Des, I appreciate your comments!
RAGIII

Here are the pictures of both builds as of today:

Just need to add plug wires to the engine:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:14:37 PM by RAGIII »

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2014, 08:24:59 PM »
Rick, both aeroplanes are coming along beautifully.  The Snipe's engine looks really good...
the cylinders to me are just right as far as weathering goes.  Very good work!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline radio

« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2014, 02:24:35 AM »
Like Ernie, it is no more to say.
Martin

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2014, 02:28:45 AM »
Hi Rick,

Lovely interiors. Magnificent wood painting. And the engine looks great, weathering as usual very convincing. Well done my friend

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »

Both are coming along nicely Amigo !

Computer had a virus and we were gone for 2 weeks so just now getting back on-line.

ED
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2014, 12:07:05 PM »
Extraordinary work, Amigo!  Doubling your pleasure, doubling our fun!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2014, 12:40:51 PM »
Rick, both aeroplanes are coming along beautifully.  The Snipe's engine looks really good...
the cylinders to me are just right as far as weathering goes.  Very good work!

Cheers,
Ernie :)

Thanks Ernie,
I have added the plug wires to the engine and am now preparing my paint options. Also need to drill rigging locations in the wings , fuselage etc.
RAGII

Like Ernie, it is no more to say.
Martin

Thanks Martin, I appreciate your comments!
RAGIII

Hi Rick,

Lovely interiors. Magnificent wood painting. And the engine looks great, weathering as usual very convincing. Well done my friend

Kind regards
Patrick

Thanks Patrick, I am happy you are continuing to follow my builds!
RAGIII

Both are coming along nicely Amigo !

Computer had a virus and we were gone for 2 weeks so just now getting back on-line.

ED

Ed,
Nice to hear from you! I was getting ready to E Mail you as I had noticed your absence! Glad it was nothing more serious than a Virus  ::) Thank you for your comments!
RAGIII

Extraordinary work, Amigo!  Doubling your pleasure, doubling our fun!
Cheers,
Bud

Finally, Thanks Bud! I am having a great time despite the Albie Glitches! Glad you are enjoying the builds! I have joined the Snipe fuselage and test fitted the Cowl and Lower wing. All looks good at this point  8)
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2014, 04:01:44 AM »
I have spent a few hours doing Test Mixes for late war PC 10. There are 5 colors on the DH2 wing: One is an out of the Bottle/ Tin PC 10, 3 others are mixtures on the brown and green end. One is an out of bottle Field Drab. I took the pgotos in Natural Light. Not sure until I see them here if I like them. Let me know if you think any are close/ not close and your reason/s.  8)

RAGIII

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 04:07:51 AM by RAGIII »

Offline mgunns

« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2014, 05:52:43 AM »
Hi Rick:

When looking at the DH2 wing straight on fore to aft, I like the one on the far right.  It just looks right to me.
Coming along nicely Rick. 

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2014, 12:32:29 PM »
its hard to say but my first choice would be from the lower photo the second from the left. but my monitor might show color diff thn they really are.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2014, 05:46:22 AM »
Hi Rick:

When looking at the DH2 wing straight on fore to aft, I like the one on the far right.  It just looks right to me.
Coming along nicely Rick. 

Best

Mark

Mark, Thanks for the response! You have actually chosen one of the 2 I am considering as the final product ! This one leans more to the green side in real life  ;D
RAGIII

its hard to say but my first choice would be from the lower photo the second from the left. but my monitor might show color diff thn they really are.

And... You have chosen the other  ;) This one is of course on the brownish side. The first one that Mark chose started out as Floquil Olive Green with Floquil Crimson added. The second started as Floquil RLM 71 Dark Green with Crimson added to a lesser degree. The 3rd color was Floquil French Dark Brown with generous amounts of regimental Yellow added, plus a touch of blue.
The 4th is Model Master Field Drab out of the bottle and the 5th is XTRA color PC 10.
RAGIII

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2014, 07:02:08 AM »
Hi Rick

I just love this sort of experimentation, although, of course, it all comes down to a matter of personal preference, not to say the variables of eye quality and monitor display. If I had to choose one from how I see the images posted it would be that chosen by Mark.

One of the high risk things I've tried is not mixing colours but applying Vallejos/Prince August washes over a sprayed olive drab. The washes have involved colours like  panzer browns! Even the lightest of washes can be face the dangers of pooling but I find that with care it can produce subtle variations in colour. That said, it's not for the faint-hearted.

Best wishes
Nigel