Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 431148 times)

Offline macsporran

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #2310 on: October 16, 2017, 07:01:58 PM »
I remember building the Eduard never-fighting-ladies version of this way back and thinking at the time it would be quite an easy scratchbuild project, either in 1/48 or 1/32. Certainly for somebody with Manni's skills.
I'd much rather have an important subject - Dolphin, Dolphin, Dolphin - than an experimental one-off, next from WNW😇

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #2311 on: October 16, 2017, 10:48:16 PM »
That's right, I have already 3 Taurus rotary engines exact for this purpose in my stash.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #2312 on: October 17, 2017, 07:54:28 AM »

I'd much rather have an important subject - Dolphin, Dolphin, Dolphin - than an experimental one-off, next from WNW😇

Big DITTO Here !!!!!
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #2313 on: October 23, 2017, 01:37:04 AM »
Why forget about early albatros just because wnw haven't kitted them. The roden kits are very buildable and turn out nicely. I have built one and will build more whether wnw does one or not. With so many fighters never ever kitted I will keep hoping for something else something cool something different. I will never understand why some guys will only build a biplane if its wnw. Maybe they are wnw fans not necessarily ww1 aircraft fans? Idk?

For me personally it's about quality not quantity.  I am a fan of WWI and a bigger fan of WNW.  I just don't like building crummy kits....Honestly the Roden kits are amongst the lousiest kits out there.  If I was rating kit makers I can't think of many that are worse than roden.  Off the top of my head Tamiya, Meng, Dragon, Revell of Germany, Hasegawa, Fujimi, Aoshima, Miniart, Takom, Trumpeter, Amusing hobby, Panda Hobby, Rye field Model, Fine molds, and WNW are all far superior to Roden.   For me I just hate spending my hard earned money or something that is sub par.  Go compare the WNW top wing from their Albatros DV kit to the Roden top wing of their Albatros  D III.  It's no  comparison, the detail on Roden is trash.  Why would I continue building trash?....it's not about liking or disliking WWI subjects I just don't want to spend my valuable time on lousy models....but that's just how I roll....

I have to agree. For me there is a huge difference between a modeler wanting to add detail or effects to enhance a model kit and having to correct poor research, design or manufacture of a kit part. I’m not willing to spend my money on kits that do not meet fundamental standards of basic accuracy, construction design (designing kit parts breakdowns and joins to ensure they can be assembled by anyone who buys the kit), manufacture and instruction coherence. Since Wingnut Wings appearance on the WWI modeling scene, I don’t buy any other WWI air kits. Period. Why waste my time and increase my frustration with inferior kits?

I too would like a Dr.1. It’s iconic, but I can live without it if it’s not a Wingnut Wings kit. I have a few unbuilt Wingnut Wings kits in my modest stash and since I do not restrict myself to only WWI subjects, I can easily wait to see what new stuff the Wingnuts will produce next. I’m hoping for a Wright Flyer even though it is not a WWI subject, it is, after all, the mother of them all.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline zavod44

« Reply #2314 on: November 01, 2017, 01:03:43 PM »
Why forget about early albatros just because wnw haven't kitted them. The roden kits are very buildable and turn out nicely. I have built one and will build more whether wnw does one or not. With so many fighters never ever kitted I will keep hoping for something else something cool something different. I will never understand why some guys will only build a biplane if its wnw. Maybe they are wnw fans not necessarily ww1 aircraft fans? Idk?

For me personally it's about quality not quantity.  I am a fan of WWI and a bigger fan of WNW.  I just don't like building crummy kits....Honestly the Roden kits are amongst the lousiest kits out there.  If I was rating kit makers I can't think of many that are worse than roden.  Off the top of my head Tamiya, Meng, Dragon, Revell of Germany, Hasegawa, Fujimi, Aoshima, Miniart, Takom, Trumpeter, Amusing hobby, Panda Hobby, Rye field Model, Fine molds, and WNW are all far superior to Roden.   For me I just hate spending my hard earned money or something that is sub par.  Go compare the WNW top wing from their Albatros DV kit to the Roden top wing of their Albatros  D III.  It's no  comparison, the detail on Roden is trash.  Why would I continue building trash?....it's not about liking or disliking WWI subjects I just don't want to spend my valuable time on lousy models....but that's just how I roll....

I have to agree. For me there is a huge difference between a modeler wanting to add detail or effects to enhance a model kit and having to correct poor research, design or manufacture of a kit part. I’m not willing to spend my money on kits that do not meet fundamental standards of basic accuracy, construction design (designing kit parts breakdowns and joins to ensure they can be assembled by anyone who buys the kit), manufacture and instruction coherence. Since Wingnut Wings appearance on the WWI modeling scene, I don’t buy any other WWI air kits. Period. Why waste my time and increase my frustration with inferior kits?

I too would like a Dr.1. It’s iconic, but I can live without it if it’s not a Wingnut Wings kit. I have a few unbuilt Wingnut Wings kits in my modest stash and since I do not restrict myself to only WWI subjects, I can easily wait to see what new stuff the Wingnuts will produce next. I’m hoping for a Wright Flyer even though it is not a WWI subject, it is, after all, the mother of them all.

Agreed....buying bad kits is just rewarding bad behavior

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2315 on: November 01, 2017, 01:43:41 PM »
...So dont.....moving on.....

Steve

Offline zavod44

« Reply #2316 on: November 02, 2017, 10:54:26 AM »
...So dont.....moving on.....

Steve

I never do.....moving on

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2317 on: November 02, 2017, 04:36:12 PM »
this has to be the slowest, most tedious "moving on" i've ever seen...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2318 on: November 03, 2017, 12:54:32 AM »
So back on track then.... I have to go back to my Strong Feeling that we are going to see a German Aircraft powered by a URII.( On the Lehrone Sprue from the Camel). So that virtually narrows things down to an EV or DR1. The DR1 would be another Money Cow even though we have a good kit available. Plenty of colorful markings and they could even do something in the dogfight doubles with their clerget for a Jacobs scheme! Also Pheon is planning a boat load of decals that will most likely work on a WNW version as the Roden kit lines up very well with drawings. Now for the EV/DVIII. Not as historically important in numbers or combat use but developmentally very significant! Although only used for a short time by a limited number of Jastas there are still a wide variety of markings as Pheon has shown on their 2 decal sets! Sleek looking and a sure winner for WNW! Also one must consider the factor that Lance and I have struggled and completed the Mikro Mir kit...well almost for Me  ;D Finally, Sir Peter owns examples of both the DR1 and EV!

Now for my surprise guess: A Dolphin or 1 1/2 Strutter. Both are significant aircraft and must be on their list  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2319 on: November 03, 2017, 02:39:49 AM »
your arguments are really convincing, Rick, so I am afraid you could be right. I'd prefer to see some entirely new planes, "new" in that way that they were never released as kits before. I cross my fingers that WNW could keep with their early war planes and offer some Farmans, Moranes or Caudrons to keep with the Albatros B II and Taube.
 And please do not forget that WNW is going to release the whole Halberstadt family (D and Cl), there's plenty of information around and - most important - I want them  ::)
We will see, I'd be happy to see ANY Christmas surprise kit from WNW and I can't wait to get my hands on the new Special Hobby Fokker D II.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online rhwinter

« Reply #2320 on: November 03, 2017, 04:16:19 AM »
your arguments are really convincing, Rick, so I am afraid you could be right. I'd prefer to see some entirely new planes, "new" in that way that they were never released as kits before. I cross my fingers that WNW could keep with their early war planes and offer some Farmans, Moranes or Caudrons to keep with the Albatros B II and Taube.
 And please do not forget that WNW is going to release the whole Halberstadt family (D and Cl), there's plenty of information around and - most important - I want them  ::)
We will see, I'd be happy to see ANY Christmas surprise kit from WNW and I can't wait to get my hands on the new Special Hobby Fokker D II.
Borsos

I am all with you, Borsos! (Plus some extra-wishes...)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2321 on: November 03, 2017, 07:18:23 AM »
Quote from RAGIII    " I have to go back to my Strong Feeling that we are going to see a German Aircraft powered by a URII.( On the Lehrone Sprue from the Camel). So that virtually narrows things down to an EV or DR1."

I expressed an identical opinion some time ago, and, like Rick, (with the addition of a BE.2) I believe a DR.1 and E.V/D.VIII are the next releases.The fact that we both worked through the challenges of the Mikr Mir E.V only increase the odds! :o
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2322 on: November 03, 2017, 06:19:11 PM »
i'm going to go out on a limb here...

in response to a recent poll, in which the Nieuport 17 took a distant second to the SPAD XIII, Richard Alexander, as usual, said something to the effect WNW don't want to make a kit that someone else made an acceptable kit of (and no, let's not go down the 'acceptable kit' path again)...

but he also said that like the Camel, the Nieuport 17 could use a 21st century tooling.

so here's the limb: i'm going to speculate that it's already been in the works for a while, and could be this year's Christmas surprise.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2323 on: November 03, 2017, 07:26:40 PM »
Fok.DR.I for xmas. I feel it in my waterworks  :o

Von Living the Dream.

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2324 on: November 04, 2017, 01:18:30 AM »
i'm going to go out on a limb here...

in response to a recent poll, in which the Nieuport 17 took a distant second to the SPAD XIII, Richard Alexander, as usual, said something to the effect WNW don't want to make a kit that someone else made an acceptable kit of (and no, let's not go down the 'acceptable kit' path again)...

but he also said that like the Camel, the Nieuport 17 could use a 21st century tooling.

so here's the limb: i'm going to speculate that it's already been in the works for a while, and could be this year's Christmas surprise.

Since my last birthday even I could use a 21st century retooling...
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.