Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 431146 times)

Offline Jeff K

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #2295 on: October 14, 2017, 06:27:47 PM »
Getting back on track, why not beg Roden to make the kits you want?  Why , because they would suck.....

again, disagree. i've said already WNW are IMO, better. x is better than y doesn't mean y sucks. then there's the fact (yes, they do count for something) that Roden hasn't released any 1/32 WWI kits in a very long time. that alone is why i don't 'beg' Roden to make the kits i want.

if they'd release some of the stuff i want i'd be happy enough with a Roden kit that i'd buy it rather than wait in hopes that WNW will release it even though they've made a point of saying they won't (DR.1 comes to mind).

i think you are so infatuated with WNW that you lack any objectivity about the merits of other kits. i'm not saying there's anything wrong with WNW exclusively being your thing, but it does undermine your persuasiveness quite a bit. your approach reminds me a lot of iOS/Android fanboys "debating" each other. there's no real debate there, because you're too vague and emotional. "sucks" is not exactly a specific, descriptive or useful review. it's pure emotion, and therefore useless to anyone who doesn't happen to be you, or already agree with you. 

as for why i like Roden kits well enough, as i've said, they get the shapes right. the engineering on WNW is much better, and so they are less work, easier to build, and fun to just open the box and ogle as you plan your build (see? specifics). i've encountered a fair number of people who only build WWI because they're in awe of WNW kits and that's fine, but it still doesn't make 'Roden sucks' an interesting opinion.

i'm guessing that the 'engineering gap' is your main reason for being so shrilly anti-Roden.

also i really don't see why you're going all 'pistols at 12 paces' over the 'real modeling' remark. do you think a brilliantly engineered kit and a roughly engineered short run kit require equal skills? how about scratch building? if someone says scratchbuilding is 'real modeling,' would that offend you? to me it seems silly to take offense at someone saying basically that y requires more skill than x. why is 'real modeling' an insult and what you say 'just your opinion?' looks like a double standard to me.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2296 on: October 14, 2017, 07:02:48 PM »
I build Roden and Wingnut kits. I prefer Wingnut, but they can have their flaws too. I swear a lot at Roden kits but acknowledge that in some cases ( e.g. Siemens Schuckert D.III) if you want it in 1/32 its Roden or none at all.

If the term "real modelling" offends sensitive modellers, would they be happier with the term "old school modelling"? It means the same.

I just finished the Roden 1/32 Fokker F.,1 and it made me pay attention to every stage rather than just glue part 1 to part 2.

There's no question Wingnut kits are the best but Roden don't suck, but they do make you pay attention.

Roden have pretty much stepped back from the 1/32 WW1 market and its generally believed they did so because of Wingnuts.

There's room in the market for both but we don't need to put one another down because of our choices.

A Wingnuts Be2c and DH.5 for Christmas would be very welcome and especially a Sopwith Comic night fighter.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #2297 on: October 14, 2017, 07:56:59 PM »
The whole 'X' are the best. 'Y' sucks debate is pretty pointless really. To me, there are two different kinds of modelling going on here

One kind is to open the box and build the 'plane that is in there. Maybe buy some alternative decals and follow the scheme on the sheet for those. If that's what you want to do, buy WNW. It will build and at the end you'll have a fair representation of the subject

I'm usually interested in modelling a particular 'plane, so although I have the kit in the box I'm looking for photos, drawings and other source materials. I've often spent more on books than on the kit. Based on my research I'm going to look at each part of a kit to see if it as it was on the particular 'plane I'm modelling. If it is, good. If it isn't I'm going to modify or replace it. If this is what you want to do, it doesn't really matter what kit you start with, you are going to modify something.

So, what do you buy? Depends what you want to do. And on aeroplane modelling sites you get both kinds of modeller

For me, I'd like to see more respect of each others points of view. Neither is right or wrong. Either (or both) will suit an individual.

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2298 on: October 14, 2017, 08:02:43 PM »
If the term "real modelling" offends sensitive modelers, would they be happier with the term "old school modelling"? It means the same.

i'd prefer to say they "require more modeling skill." hard to dispute that.

back on topic, there was a poll on a WNW Facebook group.

the SPAD XIII topped the poll, but the Be2 was second. Dolphin and Avro 504 rounded out the top 5... oh wait that's four.

the Nieuport 17 was 3rd.

Richard (Alexander, most likely) of WNW commented as follows:

"It's great to see the fans remain so passionate.

All those subjects are certainly very worthy and deserve to be available as great 1/32 models. I won't promise, or preclude, anything but the aircraft that haven't been tooled in 1/32 scale yet would almost certainly be more likely to find their way into a Wingnut Wings box than the SPAD XII or Nieuport 17. Although, having said that, the venerable Nieuport 17 could certainly benefit from some 21st century tooling love (much like our Sopwith Camel).

It'll be very interesting to see what results a similar poll run in 12 months time would come up with...

Regards
Richard"

last year, the Taube topped the same poll. a ray of hope for BE2 fans, Dolphin fans, and 504 fans. and, quite possibly, Nieuport fans...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2299 on: October 14, 2017, 08:12:17 PM »
If the term "real modelling" offends sensitive modelers, would they be happier with the term "old school modelling"? It means the same.

i'd prefer to say they "require more modeling skill." hard to dispute that.

back on topic, there was a poll on a WNW Facebook group.

the SPAD XIII topped the poll, but the Be2 was second. Dolphin and Avro 504 rounded out the top 5... oh wait that's four.

the Nieuport 17 was 3rd.

Richard (Alexander, most likely) of WNW commented as follows:

"It's great to see the fans remain so passionate.

All those subjects are certainly very worthy and deserve to be available as great 1/32 models. I won't promise, or preclude, anything but the aircraft that haven't been tooled in 1/32 scale yet would almost certainly be more likely to find their way into a Wingnut Wings box than the SPAD XII or Nieuport 17. Although, having said that, the venerable Nieuport 17 could certainly benefit from some 21st century tooling love (much like our Sopwith Camel).

It'll be very interesting to see what results a similar poll run in 12 months time would come up with...

Regards
Richard"

last year, the Taube topped the same poll. a ray of hope for BE2 fans, Dolphin fans, and 504 fans. and, quite possibly, Nieuport fans...

One small correction, the Taube Poll was 2 years ago, just about the time it takes to develop a kit at WNW.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2300 on: October 14, 2017, 08:20:42 PM »
One small correction, the Taube Poll was 2 years ago, just about the time it takes to develop a kit at WNW.
RAGIII

there's your timeline, Nieuport fans.

i wouldn't be surprised to see the BE2 this year though... (that's just a guess and not based on anything except for rumors of Sir Peter having a 1:1 one).

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2301 on: October 14, 2017, 11:28:28 PM »
In the feature article about Wingnut Wings published in 2010 Richard Alexander spoke of the gestation period from go to whoa for a new kit.

"From concept to having a finished and boxed kit in the hand is now down to as little as a year and a half." he said at the time. “Some projects are more difficult and time consuming than others, mostly to do with complexity (as in the case of the Gotha) and availability of suitable references” Richard said.

So in 2010 how were Wingnut subjects chosen? Richard Alexander explained the process:

“We are modellers too so the decision process goes something like this;

Do we want to see a model of it ?

Do we have enough reference material to make an honest attempt at it?

Do we think other modellers will want to make a model of it?

Using those guidelines it seems likely we could hope for many on our wish lists.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #2302 on: October 15, 2017, 07:43:11 AM »
RAGIII

i wouldn't be surprised to see the BE2 this year though... (that's just a guess and not based on anything except for rumors of Sir Peter having a 1:1 one).

It's not so much a rumour of Sir Peter having a 1/1 one, he has several. I've been very fortunate in having the opportunity to go up in the front cockpit of the BE2f

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2303 on: October 15, 2017, 08:56:06 AM »
What a wonderful experience it must have been to get up close and personal with a BE.2, this is an opportunity I would love to be able to have. I'm still hoping for a BE.2 and an Avro 504 from Wingnuts and my gut feeling tells me they will be released soon. I have heard from Wingnuts and they say they are working their way through all the WW1 types so all the aircraft on our wish list will eventually be covered, we just never know what is around the corner, maybe even a Nieuport 17.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2304 on: October 15, 2017, 03:00:46 PM »
RAGIII

It's not so much a rumour of Sir Peter having a 1/1 one, he has several. I've been very fortunate in having the opportunity to go up in the front cockpit of the BE2f

i just turned PC10 (early) with envy... that said NZ isn't that far from Thailand, i may look into going down there to beg for a ride myself.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2305 on: October 16, 2017, 01:40:17 AM »
I think that is a very elitist attitude, Saying it's "real" modelling, that's a load of crap in my opinion.  I will point out there not a 150 page thread on Roden speculation.  For me "real" modelling is smart modelling.  I don't want to spend my time trying to polish a turd into something decent.  If you enjoy working on sub par kits that is your gig and I'll stand behind you in doing so but calling it "real" is an insult to anyone who makes models.  This is a hobby, to me it's my artwork that I do for relaxation. I don't need to prove anything to anyone.  I don't do it to brag that I built some old kit, but I'm not much of a boaster or showboater anyhow.  I'm not going to go back and build the old Hasegawa 1/32 Me 262 from the 60's to prove something....no I'l go buy the good one from Trumpeter and build a nice kit.   All I stated is that Roden kits are mediocre at best....I don't think anyone can disagree. Back to the topic, I'll wait for a good Fokker Dr.1, that's what I would like to see......

Be very very careful, this comment is boardering on personal abuse and will not be tolerated on this forum regardless of who you think you are.

This topic will now get back on track.

Des.

I don't think I'm anyone, just someone with an opinion.  Just like everyone else here.  If your opinion is building Roden Kits is real modeling my opinion is that is not.  Same thing as you, just don't agree.  If it's abuse, I certainly didn't fire the first shot, that was you....

Getting back on track, why not beg Roden to make the kits you want?  Why , because they would suck.....
.................wrong track................

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2306 on: October 16, 2017, 07:32:26 AM »
Exactly right Steve, this guy doesn't know the meaning of getting a topic back on track, he is so hell bent on dragging Roden down that he has lost all perspective of the real world, he is so one eyed and is obsessed with Wingnuts. I can tell you from experience that there is no such thing as a perfect kit, I have built all of the Roden 1:32 scale WW1 aircraft kits and I have also built a majority of the Wingnut kits and not one kit has been perfect, all have had faults, and I have also added a lot of detail to my models both Roden and Wingnuts.

This is the last that will be said about Roden kits, any further posts which are not relating to the original topic will be deleted, anyone who does post off topic will have their account deleted and all their posts deleted.

Des.  Administrator.

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #2307 on: October 16, 2017, 08:15:50 AM »
What a wonderful experience it must have been to get up close and personal with a BE.2, this is an opportunity I would love to be able to have. I'm still hoping for a BE.2 and an Avro 504 from Wingnuts and my gut feeling tells me they will be released soon. I have heard from Wingnuts and they say they are working their way through all the WW1 types so all the aircraft on our wish list will eventually be covered, we just never know what is around the corner, maybe even a Nieuport 17.

Des.

It was amazing. I never expected to get that close, I just happened to be at the right place at the right time, with the right people. I can say now from personal experience that there is nothing less suited for the role it was used that the observers's cockpit of a BE2. It's very cramped (and I'm not very tall), you have very little visibility and the one I went in had a Lewis gun attached, which I could have shot us down very easily, but of very little use for self-defence.

The same day I also went up in an RE8, and that was a completely different experience - although the Go-Pro mounted on my Lewis gun proved I shot us down twice while seeing off an Albatros DVA

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #2308 on: October 16, 2017, 04:30:21 PM »
Now I got the perfect idea!
How about a .....tadaaaaa....PKZ2 Schraubenfieger? 8)
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2309 on: October 16, 2017, 05:44:15 PM »
Not a bad idea Manni but one I doubt will ever be produced by Wingnuts, maybe one of the other companies may consider it in 1:32 scale, there are some good kit producers out there who would be up to the task.

Des.