Author Topic: 1/32 BE2c  (Read 29470 times)

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
Re: 1/32 BE2c
« Reply #300 on: May 24, 2023, 06:52:31 AM »
With the 0.13 mm Evergreen, I think it looks exactly right. Clever idea to capture the rib texture like that.

I made notes!

Willem

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #301 on: May 24, 2023, 06:57:14 AM »
Richie,

Sorry, just catching up, flipping amazing work, you put my hamfisted kits to shame!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline RichieW

« Reply #302 on: May 24, 2023, 08:06:43 AM »
With the 0.13 mm Evergreen, I think it looks exactly right. Clever idea to capture the rib texture like that.

I made notes!

Willem

Thanks Willem, Yes the Evergreen styrene is much more robust than the Tamiya and the translucency is fine so far. I discovered doing the rib texture like that by accident when applying decal strips to the tail feathers. A happy accident!
Richie,

Sorry, just catching up, flipping amazing work, you put my hamfisted kits to shame!

Guy

Thanks Guy, that means a heck of a lot to me. I must say though, there is nothing ham fisted about your models. I so wish I could build a kit as beautifully as you. With scratch building you get as many attempts as you need to get a part looking ok. I have destroyed many expensive kits in the past including the WNW Camel which you finished to absolute perfection!

Richie

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #303 on: May 24, 2023, 02:06:23 PM »
Oh Richie, that wing looks fantastic all covered! Beautiful work my friend!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #304 on: May 24, 2023, 07:28:01 PM »
Oh Richie, that wing looks fantastic all covered! Beautiful work my friend!

Cheers, Zac much appreciated as always. Hope all is well in beautiful NZ.

Richie

Offline FAf

« Reply #305 on: May 24, 2023, 07:54:58 PM »
Richie,

Guy

Guy feels hamfisted, I'm not really sure I even have hands...

I'm amazed by your work and the stubbornness to keep going. Although, I can understand the keep going bit better, the actual work seem way out of my league.

Always fun to read your updates!
/Fredrik

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #306 on: May 25, 2023, 06:08:53 AM »
I am catching up Richie - and am very pleased to be doing so. That wing is genius - you have achieved the ribbing and translucency in a most remarkable way. I am blown away by this model - this is scratch building of the very best sort and I am really looking forward to seeing this when it is completed - which should not be too long now.

Stephen.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #307 on: May 25, 2023, 06:52:38 AM »
That’s really nice how the wing looks now. I think you found the proper way to deal with that!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #308 on: May 25, 2023, 07:38:41 AM »
Richie,

Guy

Guy feels hamfisted, I'm not really sure I even have hands...

I'm amazed by your work and the stubbornness to keep going. Although, I can understand the keep going bit better, the actual work seem way out of my league.

Always fun to read your updates!
/Fredrik

Thanks so much Fredrik, I don't understand Guy thinking his work is ham fisted either! Trust me you could do anything I have done here. None of the methods are very complicated  and you get as many goes as you want if you have enough styrene.

I am catching up Richie - and am very pleased to be doing so. That wing is genius - you have achieved the ribbing and translucency in a most remarkable way. I am blown away by this model - this is scratch building of the very best sort and I am really looking forward to seeing this when it is completed - which should not be too long now.

Stephen.

Thanks so much Stephen. I'm really pleased and surprised with how it has gone up to now and I hope you are right in saying it will be finished soon.
That’s really nice how the wing looks now. I think you found the proper way to deal with that!
Andreas

Thanks so much Andreas, it makes me so happy that you like it. I'm still shaking my head in disbelief at your Bloody April diorama. How did you make the struts?

I'm still carrying out repairs to the other wing frame but have skinned the ailerons. I seem to have achieved much better trailing edges than on the tail feathers. I may need to remake the elevator flaps. Perhaps some day far in the future!

Richie

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #309 on: May 25, 2023, 11:02:42 AM »
Hope all is well in beautiful NZ.
Ups and downs in my life but on the whole things are looking bright  :)

No pressure but I'm eager to see what the next step is.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #310 on: June 03, 2023, 09:33:37 PM »
Hope all is well in beautiful NZ.
Ups and downs in my life but on the whole things are looking bright  :)

No pressure but I'm eager to see what the next step is.

Good to hear the outlook is bright overall Zac, I love seeing your aviation photos on Flikr, you seem to be keeping yourself very busy in a good way.

Although I've had a week off work things have conspired to keep me away from the bench for much of it.
I did manage to make a whole new set of wing ribs for the top plane and set about reshaping the struts.

wing ribs and struts by Richard Williams, on Flickr

A very time consuming exercise but I was listening to Aces Falling by Peter Hart on Audiobook to keep me entertained. Well worth a read/listen.

The starboard lower wing got skinned without any major hiccups and I remade and skinned the ailerons too. I had a little test fit without setting the dihedral. More of which later.

Lower wings test fit by Richard Williams, on Flickr

A quick little peek in the garden looks promising;

20230603_114802 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The lower wings are now ready for a spray of very thin CDL before I add white decal strips and a final top coat. I have a suspicion that masking the roundels will tear tear the rib tape decals off but I will worry about that if it happens.

Now I have all the wing ribs the next step is to make the top plane and cabane struts. I am wondering if I should set the dihedral of the top plane, glue it together and attach it as one piece. I think this would help with the alignment of the lower wing and struts. My little test fit suggested that getting the lower wing set up squarely will not be as simple as I thought.

Hopefully I will get more time next week.

Cheers for now
Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #311 on: June 04, 2023, 01:19:48 AM »
The wings look stunning in the Test fit photo. It seems like adding the whole upper wing as a unit would make it similar to "Most" kit assemblies. In this case I am not sure if that relates to the "best" method!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #312 on: June 04, 2023, 02:55:56 AM »
Beautiful work by Richie! I really enjoy watching how it goes together.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #313 on: June 04, 2023, 04:17:45 AM »
The wings look stunning in the Test fit photo. It seems like adding the whole upper wing as a unit would make it similar to "Most" kit assemblies. In this case I am not sure if that relates to the "best" method!
RAGIII

Thanks Rick, I think you're right about adding the top wing as a single piece. My initial plan was to add the centre section first and slide the wings onto brass rods. After a test fit of the lower wings today it looks fraught with danger and turn very ugly very quickly!

Beautiful work by Richie! I really enjoy watching how it goes together.
Andreas

Thanks Andreas, I'm enjoying having you along for the ride giving support. This has been a rocky road so far so it's great to have a bit of feedback. :)

Richie

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #314 on: June 04, 2023, 07:28:22 AM »
Oh yeah, that's the stuff! Lovely work!

I love seeing your aviation photos on Flikr, you seem to be keeping yourself very busy in a good way.
Thanks for the kind words Richie, I really appreciate it. Not yet on Flickr but I'm even back at the bench!