Author Topic: 1/32 BE2c  (Read 30098 times)

Offline RichieW

1/32 BE2c
« on: August 11, 2021, 05:37:48 AM »
Here we go again, as ever I am completely out of my comfort zone and will be making it up as I go along. I have been a big BE2c fan since seeing the BBC series Wings way back in the 1970's and no 1/32 kit is available so back out with the styrene bits and bobs.

I will be making a RAF 1a powered version which means there is no aftermarket kit available. I have collected many photographs of the engine and it looks very complicated. The good news is that not much will be visible. I made a little start on the today, it isn't much to show but it's a start. I will cut the engine mounting beams down to size once the fuselage frame is together. For now they make handy grab handles.

RAF 1A V8 engine by Richard Williams, on Flickr

RAF 1A V8 engine by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The cylinder head is just taped in place, I will glue it in place once I have the holes drilled to take the cylinders and all the other assorted gubbins.

Thanks for reading
Richie

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: 1/32 BE2c
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 05:43:46 AM »
Tagging along Richie  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 05:46:25 AM »
Great start Richie!

You are a courageous man. This is difficult aircraft to build, even from a kit!

Des did some magnificent scratch built engines. You might look here: https://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.html

He had easy, ingenious solutions for complicated details.

Willem

Offline RichieW

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 05:47:20 AM »
Tagging along Richie  :)

Alexis

Very happy to have you along, I may, no definitely will need your help along the way!  :)

Offline Beto

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 09:36:16 AM »
If you can find an engine sprue from WnW's R.E.8... I think both the V8 RAF 1a and the V-12 RAF 4a used the same cylinders and a similar induction system.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 07:57:37 PM »
If you can find an engine sprue from WnW's R.E.8... I think both the V8 RAF 1a and the V-12 RAF 4a used the same cylinders and a similar induction system.

Now that is an interesting idea, thanks!

Great start Richie!

You are a courageous man. This is difficult aircraft to build, even from a kit!

Des did some magnificent scratch built engines. You might look here: https://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.html

He had easy, ingenious solutions for complicated details.

Willem

Thanks Willem, I reckon if I try what seems way too difficult I will still learn something even if I fail miserably. A rolling stone gathers no moss, it just gets bashed about a bit. :)

Richie

I have been reading through all of Des's scratch build logs. He was an incredible craftsman.

Offline William Adair

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 08:21:06 PM »
Ah you're a man after my own heart.  I'm thinking of a Be2 one of these days as well.  All the best with this one.  Such a worthy subject!

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 08:44:36 PM »
I reckon if I try what seems way too difficult I will still learn something even if I fail miserably

I agree. I know exactly what you mean.

Willem

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 09:23:57 PM »
Hi Richie

Have a look through the Wingnuts catalogue and let us know which engine might help your Be2c project. I might be able to help you. I have Des' collection of Wingnut engine sprues and what you need might be among them.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RichieW

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 09:44:16 PM »
Hi Richie

Have a look through the Wingnuts catalogue and let us know which engine might help your Be2c project. I might be able to help you. I have Des' collection of Wingnut engine sprues and what you need might be among them.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Dave, thank you so much! I will have a look when I get home from cricket practice. This is just the best forum it could possibly be.

Richie

Offline RichieW

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 09:45:38 PM »
Ah you're a man after my own heart.  I'm thinking of a Be2 one of these days as well.  All the best with this one.  Such a worthy subject!

Thanks William, I have a feeling my model might be just a little bit bigger than yours and possibly less detailed too! 😂

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2021, 12:09:59 AM »
Hi Richie,

I found this in Aerosphere 1939 by Glenn Angle.

And this: https://thevintageaviator.co.nz/node/304

Cheers,

Willem
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 12:16:27 AM by Rookie »

Offline DaveB

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 02:11:26 AM »
Wow, Richie - you really have caught the scratch building bug!

What a great project, mate - I will follow with interest.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 06:57:11 AM »
Good news Richie - the scratch building butg has really bitten - as I told you it would.

The BE series of aircraft have been sorely neglected by manufacturers - how long did we have to wait for Airfix to produce one in God's Own Scale? And nobody has produced one in 1/32 even though it was an important aeroplane in its time. If you can make the engine you will have cracked the challenge as the remainder is straightforward - your Scout build will provide you with the necessary experience.

I will of course be following and cheering form the sidelines. You have made a flying start with the engine and I am sure that you will succeed with it.

Stephen.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2021, 10:53:42 PM »
You are absolutely right. The Be2 never got the attention it deserves in the modelling world. You are on a Good way to change this!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.