Author Topic: 1/32 BE2c  (Read 30326 times)

Offline Borsos

Re: 1/32 BE2c
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2021, 12:09:30 AM »
How are you Andreas? It's good to hear from you! :)

Thanks for asking, Richie, I am still there… WW1 modelling has a break on my workbench and I am busy doing some different projects. But I still follow the ongoing builds here, especially if it’s something so fascinating like your scratch build Be2!
Best regards ,

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2021, 07:11:34 PM »
Hi folks, time has been in short supply recently so little has been done. The engine breather pipes emerge from the rank case at an angle from tubes that are part of the casting so a styrene ramp was added at the front and brass tubing added and then blended in with Mr. Dissolved Putty. 1mm brass tube was then annealed and bent to shape after first threading wire down the centre to avoid kinking and splitting. A coat of Mr. Metal Primer and copper paint later they were just pushed into place after a coat of Tamiya lacquer flat aluminium was applied to the crank case. A few nuts and bolts were added and painted and that's all I had time for.

20210816_215217 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The cylinders are incredibly complicated and have given me a bit of a beating but a rescue mission is underway, more of which in the next episode.

Thanks for reading

Richie

Offline DaveB

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2021, 07:34:02 PM »
Well done, Richie -

Good start make on your engine, mate - look forward to more progress reports in due course

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2021, 12:11:15 AM »
Awesome job on the details Richie  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RichieW

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2021, 01:57:31 AM »
Well done, Richie -

Good start make on your engine, mate - look forward to more progress reports in due course

Regards

Dave

Cheers mate, hope to have the engine finished by early next week. I probably won't detail the back as nothing will be seen but then again leaving a job half done does irk me a bit!

Awesome job on the details Richie  :)

Alexis

Thanks Alexis, I'm really enjoying this one. The pressure is off now I have completed my usual 1 build for the year!  :)

Richie

Offline RichieW

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2021, 01:16:23 AM »
It's been a busy couple of days, whilst waiting for the arrival of the 7th cavalry to save me from the horrors of making 8 identical cylinders I thought I would make a start on the fuselage frame. The bottom of the fuselage is skinned with plywood on the real aircraft so I could use 0.5mm styrene to give a bit more rigidity, the top deck is made the same way. I cut the shapes out, tacked them together and filed the outline so they were identical. After separating the frame was added. I found it helpful to use an old tablet as a lightbox, with the brightness on full the drawing shows through the styrene.

BE2c fuselage frame start by Richard Williams, on Flickr

These were then joined together, I used a pair of engineers squares to help keep things in line.

2021-08-20_01-15-50 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Stringers were added from 0.5mm styrene strip, these are pretty flimsy so I will need to be very careful when it comes to adding the turtle deck, this is a long way down the line so I will worry about that when the time comes. I am pleased with how this is going, the Bristol Scout frame took so many attempts before I had something useable. There is a lot of excess superglue but I think I can easily chip it away or just face the exposed side of the bulkhead with thin styrene or even wood veneer.

20210820_153408 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Just as I was gluing the last stringer a knock on the door signalled the arrival of the rescue party in the form of a package from Willem

20210820_154139 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

This is a Wingnut Wings RAF 4a engine sprue Willem so generously donated to me, this forum community is a great place to be! This engine used the same cylinders as the 1a engine and the kit comes complete with all the fiddly little rockers, valves and other such minute details. So the next step is to finish the engine and the front of the framework so I can see how I can mount it securely.

Have a great weekend everybody, thanks for reading and another massive THANK YOU to Willem!

Richie

Bughunter

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2021, 02:44:31 AM »
One is hardly excused for a few days summer hiking holiday and what do I have to discover after returning?
A new and already epic thread!

Regarding the cylinders of the engine I had the idea to glue punched discs of different thickness together to get the right sized cylinders. For more robustness may be the thin radiator plates in metal. May be with a middle hole it is easier to have them in correct position, but harder to create.
But thanks to generous Willem my thoughts are no more needed :D

Have big fun with your new project Richie!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RichieW

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2021, 03:26:45 AM »
One is hardly excused for a few days summer hiking holiday and what do I have to discover after returning?
A new and already epic thread!

Regarding the cylinders of the engine I had the idea to glue punched discs of different thickness together to get the right sized cylinders. For more robustness may be the thin radiator plates in metal. May be with a middle hole it is easier to have them in correct position, but harder to create.
But thanks to generous Willem my thoughts are no more needed :D

Have big fun with your new project Richie!

Cheers,
Frank

Hiya Frank! Hope you had decent weather for your hiking break, it's great to enjoy the countryside when you can.

I tried to use my cutter to make styrene discs with a hole in the centre and threading them onto a brass tube. What a mess I made of that....many times! I think it's a method that should work well but I was in a bit of a hurry.

I'm looking forward to seeing what your next project is going to be. :)

Richie

Offline Borsos

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2021, 03:03:25 PM »
That’s cheating! Now it’s not a scratch build any more  :(
… kidding aside, great solution using WNW cylinders! I was thinking about how to create plastic discs of a certain diameter with a hole in the middle — no solution found yet.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2021, 01:12:34 AM »
You are doing an amazing job on this one Richie! The engine work is excellent and the fuselage, especially the upper rear decking is Outstanding! Very Impressive work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2021, 09:30:21 PM »
Good construction of the fuselage Richie. The engine cylinders should not only make life easier for the engine - I think that it will probably make the project possible as they have that awkward lump at the top end where the valves were located. Looking forward to more of this.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2021, 01:15:32 AM »
That’s cheating! Now it’s not a scratch build any more  :(
… kidding aside, great solution using WNW cylinders! I was thinking about how to create plastic discs of a certain diameter with a hole in the middle — no solution found yet.
Andreas

Haha, I don't mind a bit of cheating so long as it is me doing it! ;)

I found a supplier of miniature washers who sells on ebay. Prime miniatures, can't use them for this project but they would be great for most rotary engines with regular round cylinders.

You are doing an amazing job on this one Richie! The engine work is excellent and the fuselage, especially the upper rear decking is Outstanding! Very Impressive work!
RAGIII

Many thanks Rick, I'm having a lot of fun with this one. Although typically for this period of aviation progress has slowed due to engine trouble!

Good construction of the fuselage Richie. The engine cylinders should not only make life easier for the engine - I think that it will probably make the project possible as they have that awkward lump at the top end where the valves were located. Looking forward to more of this.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen, the engine sprue is really helpful ( thanks again Willem!) those cylinders are complicated to say the least. The beauty of it is that there will be 4 cylinders left over... ;)

No real progress to show yet as time has been very limited but I hope to be able to show a completed engine and fuselage frame in a week or two.

Richie

Offline DaveB

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2021, 07:02:32 PM »
That's a great start on the fuselage structure, Richie -

Glad you have something now as well to make up your engine cylinders.   Look forward to further updates.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Monty

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2021, 02:12:13 AM »
Great work and simply inspirational! I'm so glad the engine problems look sorted.... this is progress! Regards, Marc.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2021, 05:45:29 AM »
Really like how the fuselage is starting to come together Richie  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .