Author Topic: The Wight Type A.1 Improved Navyplane (1/72nd scale)  (Read 10175 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: The Wight Type A.1 Improved Navyplane (1/72nd scale)
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2023, 03:23:37 AM »
I agree with Richie - the ribs alone are amazing, nebver mind the engine!

Lack of information can be a real problem with these early types - as I am finding with the Bleriot XXIII!

Stephen.

I agree 100% Maybe More  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2023, 11:31:44 AM »
Between you guys, and Uncle Tony's Spit redux, and the prop hubs I got from Proper Plane, I'm suffering from 3D future shock. What next? Flying cars? Robot maids? Talking dogs...??

RE: the wire/pushrod troubles you were having, you might have already discovered this but just in case... the easiest way of straightening most soft wire that I know of is to lay it out on flat surface—glass is ideal—put a metal ruler over it, and roll it back and forth a few times. Or... now that I look at it again, is that what you were doing with that printing block?
Dave V.

Haha!  It is amazing what tech is available to us compared to the old days.  I still feel like a rookie when it comes to this 3d stuff... as evidenced by this flaccid 1/48-scale lewis gun I've been trying to design.  Though our first test print is a total failure, it is promising that even the individual cartridge details are visible on the underside of the drum magazine pan:

Great tip about the straightening the wires. Thanks!  We hadn't actually thought of that with the jig but will experiment.  I also owe a public thanks to fellow forumite Berman, who kindly sourced some fine tempered wire that I'm looking forward to using.

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2023, 12:15:44 PM »
Lack of information can be a real problem with these early types - as I am finding with the Bleriot XXIII!

Stephen.

True!  It's particularly frustrating when we discover new information after we've designed something then we have to go back and adjust our work.  is this the Bleriot you're working on?

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2023, 01:03:45 AM »
I am in awe to what you and your brother have delivered so far Paul.

The wings with the double camber look amazing!

Cheers,
Willem

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2023, 07:12:52 PM »
Paul,

Many thanks for the photo of the Bleriot: unfortunately it is not of the type which I am building. Only two Bleriot XXIII's were built, both for racing. I am not sure which variant that is: cetainly the undercarriage is very different from the XXIII for which I already have an excellent close up photo.

Stephen.

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2023, 11:43:36 AM »
It's been a little while since I've spent any time actually assembling my 3d-printed 'prototype' of our Wight Navyplane.  Meanwhile we're continuing our experiments with various translucent wing-coverings and their application.  One promising 'canvas' is this pale-yellow tissue paper.  It looks rather realistic without paint and really allows the light through.  A thin coat of lacquer paint for correct tone it should get us the closest yet to the desired effect.

I've yet to try the new material but my brother Eric has just begun working on his first unpainted test build of the body.  This includes newly redesigned hollow floats with filler caps (these double as resin release holes during the 3D curing process), a fabric-covered nacelle, improved rudders with hinges, plus the forest of the booms & struts.  There was a slight miscalculation with the length of the rear diagonal strut to the float, which is too short.  Otherwise, these refinements are real improvements.  Here are some pictures of his handiwork.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 02:04:28 AM by PJ Fisher »

Offline Davos522

« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2023, 12:52:26 PM »
This thread just keeps getting better and better... truly an epic project. Tell Eric not to forget to put a dime (or an ant, or a carbon molecule, or whatever) in his photos for scale reference so we can be even more amazed than we are already at how small this little gem is!

Dutch

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2023, 04:37:56 AM »
Definitely a work of art and an incredible achievement so far.

Stephen.

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2023, 12:03:18 PM »
This thread just keeps getting better and better... truly an epic project. Tell Eric not to forget to put a dime (or an ant, or a carbon molecule, or whatever) in his photos for scale reference so we can be even more amazed than we are already at how small this little gem is!

Dutch

Hey Dutch,

Thanks for the kind words.  Here's a mockup showing one top wing taped up with a dime for scale. 

Offline NigelR

« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2023, 06:22:50 PM »
Just found this thread - amazing work all round. The approach with the paper covering is really interesting, I will be intrigued to see how it turns out.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2023, 10:24:48 PM »
Wow! This is some real modelling going on here!
Respect!
Sandy

Offline Davos522

« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2023, 10:51:25 PM »
As Brian Fellowes on SNL would've said, That's crazy! And I mean that as high praise indeed. This is truly an amazing work in progress, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Dutch

Offline DaveB

« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2023, 02:04:16 AM »
Wow! - amazing work so far.

Love your rib and fabric look

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2023, 01:57:44 AM »
The rig and fabric look is very interesting and looks to be working well. The whole model is complex to say the least, but it looks as though it will ultimately be a great success. I do hope so.

Stephen.